PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My vote

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My vote

Postby Nacho » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:52 am

My vote for OC is Todd Dodge. His system wins. This was a rebuilding year for SLC and he took them to the state playoff finals. There is absolutely nothing special about the SLC players. Their D is only average. Their O is outstanding. Put him at SMU with his spread offense and we would win 7 games next season.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My vote

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:58 am

Seems to me that most head coaches that come from defensive backgrounds (Bennett) like OC's that grind the ball - and I would guess we will be a running game first offense as long as Bennett is here. I'm not saying to rule out Dodge - I think we would be fine - but we will not run a spread I don't think - if we have the personnel, and it looks l like we might for the first time in a long time, i would like to see us run that Power I again.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:05 am

Mr. Hand, I don't know.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:21 am

Nacho, I totally agree. I hope he's already been hired.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:30 am

Originally posted by gostangs:
Seems to me that most head coaches that come from defensive backgrounds (Bennett) like OC's that grind the ball - and I would guess we will be a running game first offense as long as Bennett is here.
Not trying to equate Bennett with Stoops, but Stoops was Florida's DC. Everybody thinks that Stoops is some offensive genius, but Stoops is from defensive a background.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangSally » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:08 pm

On ESPN last week at the Heisman awards ceremony, they interviewed Carroll (USC), Stoops (OU), and Saban (LSU, I think that's his name). They were talking about the BCS crap and how it would work out. Anyways, at the end of it, the interviewer said "Just thought I'd point out that these coaches have the top 3 teams in the nation and all come from defensive backgrounds."

Now this doesnt necessarily mean anything for us, but USC seems to have a pretty high powered offense for having a defensive-minded coach.

My 2 cents on the matter.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:28 pm

Stoops, Saban and Carroll were all defensive coordinators. With good OCs in place, they all have potent offenses.

I don't know who the next OC will be, but I hear it won't be a high school guy. Just with I knew who it is that Coach Bennett has in mind.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Football