PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Still Not A Worthy Opponent!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Still Not A Worthy Opponent!

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:55 pm

Posted on Thu, Dec. 25, 2003

TCU players forecast another BCS ruckus
By Damien Pierce
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

It's a simple plan really.

Gary Patterson wants to do a little shopping, pig out and maybe get a feel for everyday normal life after wrapping up his third season as TCU's coach.

Meet Gary Patterson, regular guy.

"I just want to be a normal guy for a few days," Patterson said. "I haven't taken care of all my Christmas shopping yet. So, I'd like to go to the mall and maybe eat a couple of chili dogs in the food court. I just want to see what it's like not to have to worry about anything for a day or two."

It's the least he can do.

After all, he could use a few days off before preparing for another possible run at putting a serious funk in the Bowl Championship Series system.

Less than a few hours after wrapping up their most memorable season in 65 years with a disappointing 34-31 loss to No. 18 Boise State in the inaugural PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl, there were at least a few of the Horned Frogs talking about next season and perhaps earning an invitation to the exclusive BCS party the second time around.

The Horned Frogs (11-2) became the first non-BCS school to ever crack the top six of the BCS rankings this season and flirted with a BCS bid most of the season before losing 40-28 at Southern Miss on Nov. 20.

Is there a sequel in the making? The Frogs aren't ruling it out.

"We had great season, and there was nothing disappointing about the way it ended," TCU wide receiver Cory Rodgers said. "But we'd definitely like to have another season like this one. We want to get it done next year."

The Frogs might just have the capability to make it interesting again.

While the team will be losing six starters on defense and the bulk of its defensive line, TCU is returning all but two starters on offense and will have one of the deepest backfields in the country. The problem will be deciding who gets on the field.

There is an anticipated quarterback quandary in the spring with regular starter Tye Gunn returning from a groin injury. Gunn hasn't lost a game in his collegiate career, but he has dealt with numerous injuries. His absence allowed Brandon Hassell to emerge this season, and he was 7-2 as a starter.

The duo could also get a push from touted freshman quarterback James Battle.

"We've always had a rule that you don't lose your starting job because of an injury," TCU offensive coordinator Mike Schultz said. "But I think all of those guys will be given a chance to show what they can do."

Running backs Robert Merrill and Lonta Hobbs could also be bidding for playing time this spring. Merrill became the school's most prolific freshman back this season because of an ankle injury to Hobbs. But Hobbs resurfaced in the Fort Worth Bowl by rushing for 117 yards and a score.

"I finally saw Lonta Hobbs have the burst I saw him have last season," Patterson said. "If he can stay healthy and Robert Merrill can stay healthy, we should be pretty good at running back next year."

With the potential for a potent offense, the Frogs could find themselves experiencing a little deja vu and would likely be the team to beat in Conference USA as league champ Southern Miss loses several players off a senior-laden roster.

However, there is at least one kink in the way of experiencing another run at perfection. There's an early-season trip to Lubbock on the schedule.

"We've got to play Northwestern, SMU and Texas Tech," Patterson said. "But I suppose if we beat those teams, they'll still say we haven't played anybody."

Perhaps. But if the Frogs could find a way to escape Lubbock with a victory, watch out.

"For us seniors, this was a disappointing way for the season to end," fullback Kenny Hayter said. "But I think they have a chance to have another special season next year. We've shown we know how to win."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ONLINE: www.gofrogs.com
Damien Pierce, (817) 390-7760 dpierce@star-telegram.com
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Football