PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will SMU ever have success like TCU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will SMU ever have success like TCU?

Postby PonySnob » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:28 am

When can SMU fans expect to have a program that can compete with the teams that it plays. Will SMU ever have a time when it goes to five or six bowl games in a row? Multiple 10 win seasons? Are the majority of SMU fans happy for our program to always be one of the worst in the country? Do SMU fans want to enjoy success like the UNT and TCU programs have? At what point can fans/alums expect better performance? Will it be 2004, 05, 06,? How many more painful years are there going to be? I get the feeling that most SMU fans/alums don't really care and it is absolutely sickening!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will SMU ever have success like TCU?

Postby crazy horse » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:57 pm

Actually, there are hundreds of fans who really do care. They just don't feel the need to post the obvious. None of us are content with not being the very best in "all" sports.

But thanks for sharing your thoughts anyway. They were very helpful.

<small>[ 12-27-2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: crazy horse ]</small>
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:19 pm

PonySnob -

Are you in your second or third term as president of the TCU Booster Club?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:21 pm

Ok Dude do you serouisly...SEROUISLY! think that we like our team stuggling like they are? Cause if you do you serouisly dont know any of us
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:39 pm

Idiot!

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:25 pm

Ponysnob is suffering from a post-Christmas depression. Maybe he has watched too many bowl games already and is feeling left out (again). :no:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:54 pm

You know, its great that we have a decent recruiting class every year, and we say we beat out TCU.. but if you look at WHO they recruit compared to who WE recruit.. i mean.. they just seem to have their priorities straight. I know that we have more needs, but we don't seem to be recruiting any wide recievers, we could only secure 2 mediocre JC QB's. Dane King would have been huge, and we lost him to BAYLOR?! TCU picked up a highly rated JUCO CB to help their secondary, theyre recruiting wide recievers, have plenty of depth and talent at QB, their line is plenty sufficient... they just seem to be a more complete team.

How long is it going to take for us to be able to enjoy that success? I realize that theyre amazing season has helped their recruiting... shouldnt we be winning in 2 years with our "solid" classes from the past 2 years? How long is it going to take? I don't think anyone can really answer that question..

I sure would have rather had Mangino at this point :\\
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby True Colors » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:03 pm

Dane King would have been huge, and we lost him to BAYLOR?!
are you shocked by that? why so?

Baylor is obviously not a top 10 program right now, but it's not exactly like SMU is one, either.

season records BU 3-9, SMU 0-12

conference: big 12 vs. WAC/cusa

We could go on and on and on with this, but I'm more interested in hearing why you think that SMU is such a slam dunk choice for a recruit over Baylor right now.

TC

and oh, by the way, didn't these two teams play each other this year?
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:48 pm

Well, because Baylor has been and will continue to be the Big 12 doormat - at least at SMU we have a shot of rising up within our conference - and even if we don't - Baylor will for sure not do so. Worst case - if the decision is between SMU and Baylor, at SMU you will be playing in a real city, and will receive a diploma that is worth more.

Yes we did play this year - it was the only game you could really say we outplayed the other team and should have won - not a great testiment to Baylor.
gostangs

Postby 57Frog » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:34 pm

Yes, I do think you (SMU) will achieve the level of success that TCU has !!!
I understand SMU is recruiting quite well this year .I think your last coach left your cubbards bare . Hang in there it will happen .
Good luck !!
57Frog

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:09 am

Baylor has won about 75% of the recruiting battles between the two schools since the DP-I also don't know why you'd be so surprised.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby WreckEm16 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:39 am

secret to TCU's success = playing in Division 12-4A.

All shall be revealed in Lubbock next year...
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:34 am

Originally posted by 57Frog:
Yes, I do think you (SMU) will achieve the level of success that TCU has !!!
I understand SMU is recruiting quite well this year .I think your last coach left your cubbards bare . Hang in there it will happen .
Good luck !!
:D

God I hate Georgia lol I know this has nothing to do with the topic but this freakin guy thinks he knows us! I dunno where I met him but he IMed me over here cheering for TCU like crazy after knowing that Im a Mustang fan. Saying Im mad cause Georgia has won more than us. WTF hes like freakin talkin sh*t about my team and he expects me to be happy?! I hate Georgia now
Mustangs35SMU

Postby True Colors » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:33 pm

Well, because Baylor has been and will continue to be the Big 12 doormat - at least at SMU we have a shot of rising up within our conference - and even if we don't - Baylor will for sure not do so. Worst case - if the decision is between SMU and Baylor, at SMU you will be playing in a real city, and will receive a diploma that is worth more.

Yes we did play this year - it was the only game you could really say we outplayed the other team and should have won - not a great testiment to Baylor.
There is nothing other than wishful thinking which proves that SMU has a better chance of rising up than Baylor does. Baylor has had more recent success than SMU has(including a current 8-0 streak against the ponies), and has shelled out the money to bring in a head coach from a major BCS conference to lead its program.

Your assertion that a good JUCO player(or most football players in general) would pick SMU over BU based on academics seems rather counterintuitive, at best. Even if that were true, both schools are pretty even in academics.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:12 am

The answer is that Baylor has a tougher conference, and given that they barely beat SMU last year, they have a much longer road to get to be competitive in their conference than SMU will.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Football