PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Do we have a new coordinator?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Do we have a new coordinator?

Postby BigEasyPony » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:06 am

I think it's awfully strange that there has been no announcement that the vacant positions have been filled. Let's face it we have two (2) offers outstanding and to the best of my knowledge they have not been accepted by the Cincy duo. I can't believe that Bennett would be left hanging this long before wanting an answer. I can only reason that the coaches have accepted the jobs and that it has not been announced b/c of the holidays OR they turned Bennett down and he has moved on to other candidates. Any thoughts?
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Re: Do we have a new coordinator?

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:20 am

Could it be that some of the candidates are on the staff of some teams that have not yet played their bowl games???????
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:59 am

I don’t believe Cincy made it to a bowl. So that excuse doesn’t fly.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:48 pm

If you are smart - as a potential OC - You will wait until the Bowl season is over to accept a postion - Some Bowl teams OCs could get HC jobs elsewhere - that would leave OC positions open at good programs . . .

I believe that the Cincy people will wait if they are smart.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby McAndless » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:57 pm

Ponytime, that is very unrealistic. Bowl teams may lose OC's, but in most cases, when a team is successful enough to be bowling, and subsequently lose coordinators, they have offensive line coaches, QB coaches, or other assistants ready to move into a coordinator spot. That's the way most successful programs do it, so I highly doubt the Cincy "releasees" are waiting on bowl teams to snag them after getting canned when they didn't go to a bowl.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:07 pm

A little research reveals that Cincinatti's new coach has not hired an offensive staff yet.

It may be that the new coach has allowed the current offensive staff to look elsewhere while he is debating whether to retain them and interviewing other candidates. It may be that the offensive coaches we have offered are waiting for the final word on that decision. These coaches may prefer not to move their families halfway across the country if they don't have to.

Just a thought. Waiting sucks. But that doesn't mean we have to panic.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby True Colors » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:05 pm

OU let their defensive coordinator go before the bowl game, and the sooners have more on the line than Cincinnati does.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby SMUguy » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:34 pm

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
I don’t believe Cincy made it to a bowl. So that excuse doesn’t fly.
That only makes sense if the Cincinnati guys are in fact Bennett's choices. It's also possible that he's after a pro QB coach or something (that's a rumor that's made the rounds lately.

I don't know if it's true, but I also don't know that it isn't. Let's not dive off bridges because the job isn't filled yet. The coaches' convention hasn't even taken place yet, and that's where a ton of coaches find jobs and find assistants.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:46 pm

Along those lines, whatever happened to Wade Wilson? He was actually pretty highly regarded as a QB coach when with the cowboys, but then got all screwed up when coslet came in.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Return to Football