PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Steve Spurrier

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Steve Spurrier

Postby ProudPonyPa » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:25 am

for O.C. He can't say yes unless you ask him. The worst he could do would be to say no.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Re: Steve Spurrier

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:00 am

Dream on, teenage queens. SMU can not possibly compete for someone with Spurrier's stature. He can have Nebraska if he wants it, and they will pay big bucks. :no:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:47 am

But Dallas is warmer and has nicer golf courses.
Although my suspicion is that he might end up at Central Florida or maybe Auburn (that's close enough to the Panhandle that they could live there in the off season). His wife loves Florida too much for him to look too far away.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hilltopper » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:23 pm

First of all, Auburn just went through a PR nightmare after interviewing the Louisville coach without telling anyone, only to apologize all over the place and then ink Coach Tuberville to an extension.

But even if they had shown Tuberville the door, can you imagine the AD trying to sell Spurrier to the Auburn faithful? This is the coach who, when asked about the fire that destroyed an Auburn athletic dorm, said (paraphrasing here) that part of the real loss was the torching of the Auburn athletes' textbooks, because they "hadn't been colored in yet." I'm sure he'd be a big hit in Auburn.

And somehow I'm not sure the stadium at Central Florida could hold his ego. Not high profile enough for him, don't you think?
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:59 pm

Remember that Central Florida just hired George O'Leary, plus his ego is too big for non-BCS school anyway. Nebraska is too cold(not enough golf)and to tough to recruit his type of players.

He could go back to Duke but this past season was actually a positive for them. Duke likes Coach Root and they won a few game this season for a change.

How about North Carolina? Or Vanderbilt or Kentucky for a real challenge? I'd guess he wants to be in the SE, but facing Florida every year might be a problem.

:unsure:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:30 am

Spurrier has always had a soft spot in his heart for Duke and I know for a fact he absolutely LOVED living in Durham. If he was going to "settle" for something less than a college job with a shot at the national championship, I could see him returning to Durham and moving into the Treyburn (Country Club) area.

The thought of Spurrier suceeding Mack Brown at Texa$ is scary. I have no doubt Texas would win a national championship if they were to hire Spurrier in the next year or two. He's shown what he can do at the collegiate level.
Charleston Pony

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:51 pm

CP, word here in the Triangle is that folks at unc want to take a stab. Even that "genius" sportswriter, Caulton Tudor, is suggesting unc go after Spurrier. unc fans are saying such things as "we have Roy, let's get Spurrier. we'd be unstoppable."

I'm sure ut would like to have Spurrier, but they have thankfully saddled themselves with Brown.

Meanwhile, hope we get us a good OC.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:36 pm

my guess would be that Spurrier takes a year off and plays a lot of golf, but he's such a competitive guy I', not sure he could end his coaching career with the memory of that train wreck in D.C. I don't see him going back to the SEC and I suppose UNC would be a possibility, as they'd have the resources to compete in what might become one of the top college football conferences. Should be interesting to watch.

P.S. despite your handle, I think I read a while back that you now live in the RDU area. Looks like my company is going to close our Charleston office and my only transfer option may be Goldsboro. Just might have to look for something in Raleigh. We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 yrs in Durham. Great part of the country to live in. Either way, I'm looking forward to our 1st road trip to ECU.

<small>[ 01-01-2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:40 pm

I agree Spurrier would not go to a SEC school, and unc has everything to offer him. (Remember too, he was interested in the coaching job at carolina panthers.)

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Otto » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:35 pm

Originally posted by No Cal Pony:
I agree Spurrier would not go to a SEC school, and unc has everything to offer him. (Remember too, he was interested in the coaching job at carolina panthers.)

Go Ponies!
I don't know -- I could see him making a return to the SEC. But not at Vandy -- that whole idea about the university running the athletic department doesn't exactly fit his way of doing things. In his eyes, the football department runs the athletics department.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:45 pm

Is Kentucky looking for a new coach? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at him.
Especially since it sounds like Houston Nutt is the leader for the Nebraska job (which was never a good match for Spurrier in the first place, in my opinion).
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby SmooPower » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:59 pm

Kentucky just hired Rich Brooks last year. He has 4 years left on his contract (valued at $700K+ a year). They are also on probation next year (scholarship reductions; second of two years).
SmooPower
Heisman

Return to Football