PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

An open letter from Lou Holtz to Bill Snyder

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

An open letter from Lou Holtz to Bill Snyder

Postby DomerPony » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Bill-

I'm on vacation in Tibet, but bits and pieces of your "situation" have come to me through local courier. I hope this message finds you well, and more importantly finds you before your big game Friday.

These reports I have of your QB cause me to reflect on my 1978 Orange Bowl date with the hated Sooners, who were ranked #2 and were a strong favorite to clean my Razorbacks' clocks easier than a Swiss craftsman with a kid's Timex. That, in spite of my awesome trio of nationally known skill players Ben Cowens at RB, Bobo at WR, and Forrest at RB. Those three guys were the only reason some felt we could at least keep from embarrassing ourselves too badly. Well, you may remember that prior to our bowl, that same trio ended up in some girl's dorm room and the four of them ended up in some kind of sexual situation that even the French still havent come up with a name for.

Naturally Bill, I barred them from playing in our Bowl game. I wasnt sure the hillbillies in Fayettville could understand the preeminence of right, and rules, over winning, but I was at least certain that my university would know and want that- even if it WAS Arkansas, heheh- just kidding Mr. Broyles.

As you might imagine and recall Bill, the line on that game went higher than a drag worm on Guadalupe, and we were a heavy favorite to pull a classic Lou Holtz slight of hand "disappearing act" (you have seen my magic on Johnny Carson reruns right, lol).

Course, those Sooners bought into the whole thing- specially when they found out ol' Roland Sales, our 3rd, little-used RB was going to be starting for us. But Bill, I gotta tell you this, and I know you must already know it- dammit, the team responded to our adversity and the fact that you just gotta do what you gotta do when it's a matter of right and wrong.

I mean, rules are rules, and the team loves it when the coaches are even-handed, and believe in those rules no matter WHO's butt is at stake, and let the team know that "hey, team- I believe in you and we're going to have no mercy on those Sooners no matter who we got or who we aint got"

It was really a beautiful sight to see ol Roland rack up 205 yards rushing- an Orange Bowl record that he held for the next twenty years 'til Nebraska's Ahman Green rushed for 206 vs. Tennessee. And of course, it was even more pretty whipping the land thieves 31-6, when the line had us down something like 15 or 20 points. Course what made it so really beautiful, Bill, is that it was the RIGHT THING TO DO, DAMMIT!!
Boy it felt good, and to see the looks on those young men's faces, who knew they had come through adversity, walked the straight and narrow, represented their university and their state proudly, and were VICTORIOUS!

Bill, I know you are an older gentleman and with age comes wisdom, though I think sometimes I just may not be old enough yet, heheh.. You don't need and havent sought my advice, and I'm sure you're going to sit that young man down and let him know that a leader just doesnt do that to his teammates. But I thought I would at least share my personal experience just to add to the calm and peace of mind you'll already have knowing you did the right thing.

Hope you get this in time, Bill, and I'll be rootin' for ya to kick the ever livin' stuff outta those oak leafs, or whatever they are...

Yours in spirit,

Lou
DomerPony
Recruit

Re: An open letter from Lou Holtz to Bill Snyder

Postby Buddha » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:39 pm

Good stuff, DP!
Buddha
All-American

Re: An open letter from Lou Holtz to Bill Snyder

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:38 pm

Sounds like someone planted some female agents behind the Kansas St. lines to me :roll:

Collige fooball is sinkin fast.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football