PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If we go to CUSA this year?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If we go to CUSA this year?

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:36 am

Who will be our extra OOC opponant (assuming TCU stays)? I think we should schedule a 1-AA opponant so that the team has a chance to win a game. Texas State?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: If we go to CUSA this year?

Postby Dooby » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:42 am

Such a great question. I love the thought of scheduling an early home game, where we can be competitive and have a reasonable shot at winning.

There was a rumor that we were trying to dump the OSU game and schedule Grambling at home; Grambling would be an option. We could try and bring in one of the ESPN perrenial "bottom 10" in Buffalo or Army.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Southland » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:30 pm

Originally posted by EastStang:
Who will be our extra OOC opponant (assuming TCU stays)? I think we should schedule a 1-AA opponant so that the team has a chance to win a game. Texas State?
If TCU remains in CUSA, our athletic department should pursue a permanent football series with Baylor.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:53 pm

I'd vote for impacting atttendance, not getting a 1AA victory. My preferences for one annual game (whether TCU stays in CUSA or not) would be in no particular order:

Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Arkansas

plus alternating Navy and Army every year.

Is having a semi-permanent OOC opponent common or desirable? :unsure:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:02 pm

You have GOT to be kidding me!!! We already have a very tough out of conference - we need a winnable game so we don't lose som uch fan interest befroe the conference starts - thereby hurting attendence of every other game. Schedule a win - we are the only ones that don't do this and we need it more then anyone.
gostangs

You have GOT to be kidding me!!! We already have a very tough out of conference - we need a winnable game so we don't lose som uch fan interest befroe the conference starts - thereby hurting attendence of every other game. Schedule a win - we are the only ones that don't do this and we need it more then anyone.
gostangs

gostangs

gostangs

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:07 pm

sorry bout that - got stuck - i don't feel that strongly about it!
gostangs

Postby PK » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Your appology is welcome, but you know, it's not that hard to go in and delete your extra post...click on the edit icon at the top of each unwanted post. It gives you the option to delete the post. :mellow:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:55 pm

Originally posted by gostangs:
You can delete your accidental posts by clicking on the little paper, and pencil icon.

<small>[ 01-06-2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: PlanoStang ]</small>
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Southland » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:00 pm

Originally posted by Water Pony:
I'd vote for impacting atttendance, not getting a 1AA victory. My preferences for one annual game (whether TCU stays in CUSA or not) would be in no particular order:

Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Arkansas

plus alternating Navy and Army every year.

Is having a semi-permanent OOC opponent common or desirable? :unsure:
What would you call TCU? SMU-Baylor would be a competitive, local series that both (private, poor on-field performance) schools could enjoy.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Dooby » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:17 pm

Water Pony, I think you are stoned. We need W's, dammit!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:35 pm

Agreed. But a Texas State W doesn't mean the same as a Div. 1 W. I still think bigger attendance is important. Recruits do too.

And, if we are going to be a player in Div.1, we need to compete and knock off a BCS Conference school on occasion. TCU isn't one and still won't be, if they bolt to MWC.

Only BCS schools have the luxury of scheduling easy teams, which are almost always home games and will draw anyway. To belong to the Div. 1 Fraternity, we need to have a schedule that is respected. Cheap victories don't move us forward. Either we can play with the big boys or we don't belong.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:37 pm

We need to schedule tough teams. How embarrassing would it have been to have scheduled Army this year and lost? If you look around, there are no cupcakes for SMU to schedule in D-1. WE are the cupcake for all of D-1. Look at who we played this year and lost to. UTEP----I would go on but that's enough said.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Football