PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nebraska job

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nebraska job

Postby PonyTales » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:33 pm

What's going on in Lincoln?

Steve Spurrier denied having any interest.

Houston Nutt said no thanks.

Walt Harris (Pitt) claims he's never been approached, despite rumors to the contrary.

David Cutcliffe never got an offer, or so he says.

Now Mike Zimmer wants to stay in Dallas, rather than take a bunch of cash to run one of the most high-profile programs in America.

What gives? Are people worried about working for Peterson?

Who do you all think will end up taking the job? I still think Harris will head west.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Nebraska job

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:57 am

Word is now that Pederson has Bill Callahan in for a meeting. This whole Nebraska debacle just goes to show what happens when someone gets a wild hair up their arse about firing a coach just because they don't like that person.
It seems like Pederson just figured that since it was Nebraska that everyone would line up and literally beg for the job and obviously that has not been the case. He didn't figure out that not everyone wants to line up for a job that basically requires you don't lose more than 1 game in a season and that you must contend for a title every year. His task has become so difficult that now he's having to reach for someone that lost the respect of a locker room so much that guys were just about to the point of wanting to beat him silly just 1 season removed from having been in a Super Bowl. It's obvious Pederson hadn't been paying attention to the reports out of Oakland that Callahan had lost his team and that a significant portion of the team basically had to hold themselves back just from killing the guy all because the guy basically made it personal.
Oh well, not that I feel sorry for "poor" Nebraska. They are basically going to have to pay the piper for that long run of success. If they just want to hire a cancer, they might as well hire Mackovic and it wouldn't surprise me, when it's all said and done, if his name popped up. With the way this thing is going, I wonder if Pederson might ask Notre Dame for permission to interview Knute Rockne.

<small>[ 01-06-2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex ]</small>
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:59 am

I think Zimmer is happy with his $1 million/yr contract, and realizes that Parcells will bring in a couple of linemen (Kearse?) with whom he can make the defense a great one... after next year Zimmer will be one of the hottest names for a head coaching job in the NFL, where he supposedly wants to stay...

...or maybe he doesn't like corn?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:06 am

Perhaps Osborne got out knowing that competing in the Big12 was going to be difficult.

Remember, he was able to play patsy KSU-type schedules, plus the big8 (where he won 3 Nat. Champ. with only CU to compete against - ou sucked at the time)...then he would have had to compete against UT and aTm and a new OU with TEXAS ties...

Yes, I know he won them in the big12, but with Big8 recruits at the time.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:05 am

Lesson Learned:

Firing Solich has become the issue. Why work for this guy? The impatience of ADs, administration, alumni, students, fans, etc. works against doing the right thing.

I offer the patience shown Joe Novak (NIU), Johnson (Navy), Telford (Calif.), Synder (KSU), Hotlz (SC), Rodriquez (sp?) (WVA), Bleamer (Va Tech.) etc.

Quick triggers and short term view hurt in the market and in developing sports programs. Pick the right guy, invest in facilities & recruiting and act long term.

:smart:
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:12 am

As for Zimmer, being the DC for the most high profile sports franchise in the world (soccer people, I know, Man U is probably bigger) is not a bad gig.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Brown Hornet » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:34 am

I just want to let everyone know that I have not been contacted about possibly taking the Husker job. If they call, I will listen. But now is not the time to post speculation as to my future. I am happy here at Ponyfans. Thank you.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby Dooby » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:37 am

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
As for Zimmer, being the DC for the most high profile sports franchise in the world (soccer people, I know, Man U is probably bigger) is not a bad gig.
Every Cowboys Defensive Coordinator since 1989 has become an NFL head coach. Two of the three still are; the third is still in the league as a defensive coordinator. And then there is Zimmer.

Defensive Coordinator for the Cowboys is a pretty good gig.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Red+BlueDude » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:02 pm

Originally posted by StangEsq:
I think Zimmer is happy with his $1 million/yr contract, and realizes that Parcells will bring in a couple of linemen (Kearse?) with whom he can make the defense a great one... after next year Zimmer will be one of the hottest names for a head coaching job in the NFL, where he supposedly wants to stay...

...or maybe he doesn't like corn?
No way Kearse leaves Tennessee. They'll make him their franchise player or transition player. Until they learn FOR SURE that his foot will never let him be the player he once was, they'll never let him leave.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby Southland » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
Ummm... have you ever heard of the Yankees?
Southland
Varsity

Postby The Brown Hornet » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:28 pm

Don Zimmer seemed like an odd choice for the Nebraska job to me anyway. The AD for Nebraska must really be clueless if he is trying to hire a baseball guy for the job. (tic)
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:18 am

Originally posted by Southland:
Ummm... have you ever heard of the Yankees?
Cowboys are big.
Yankees are bigger.
Man U is the biggest, most popular of all.

Now, with that said .... Bill Callahan? Is Nebraska serious?

Some of the hype around the return of Joe Gibbs to the Redskins has been littered with questions about whether his reputation (and Super Bowl rings) will carry any weight with the younger Redskins because they were too young to see him coach during the Skins' glory days. Callahan steered a Super Bowl train off the tracks THIS YEAR! There isn't a player in the NFL, college or high school who doesn't know about how awful the Raiders were this year, just one year removed from their geriatric Super Bowl run. It might not be Callahan's fault, but there are a lot of players who will THINK it was Callahan's fault (especially if they listen to players like Charles Woodson immaturely pointing the finger at his coach, whether it's deserved or not). This would be a suicidal hire for the Nebraska program, and likely would get Pederson fired.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:13 am

Hey Go RedandBlue- I assume you are kidding. The TX teams haven't looked real good against the old Big 8 when it comes to winning championships. Maybe you didn't notice that the championship game was between OU and KSU?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:08 am

They hired Callahan.
Amazing.
See my above post.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Return to Football