PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1982 SMU vs Arkansas

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 1982 SMU vs Arkansas

Postby skyscraper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Bump.
1 a.m. tonight/early Tuesday morning on ESPNU.
Set your DVR if you haven't already.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby diamond_tom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

skyscraper wrote:Bump.
1 a.m. tonight/early Tuesday morning on ESPNU.
Set your DVR if you haven't already.

Just set my u-verse DVR. The description says the game is played at Gerald J Ford stadium in 1982.
diamond_tom
All-American

Postby horseshoe hilltop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:48 am

Touchdown McIlhenny!

Man I wish SMU had gone for two instead of settling for the PAT. I think they could have been successful. With a win instead of a tie, SMU would have been in the Sugar Bowl vs UGA for the championship instead of Penn St.
horseshoe hilltop
Junior Varsity

Postby horseshoe hilltop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 am

ok I was born in 1985, so you are gonna have to excuse me for not knowing this...but I had NO idea the game's final play was SMU getting an interception.

OMG why the HELL didn't Wes Hopkins attempt to run back the INT?! He had open space and he just ran out of bounds! I think even his teammates were wondering. WOW
horseshoe hilltop
Junior Varsity

Postby Longtime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:48 pm

A buddy of mine has a theory our wonderful, saintly players in the early-mid 1980s were shaving points as well as getting pay-for-play. Too many close games with fourth quarter comebacks against teams we should have dominated.

I don't buy his theory, just putting it out there.
Longtime
All-American

Postby Longtime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 pm

You ever notice how the 1982 Arkansas game and the 1980 Holiday Bowl have been re-broadcast several times over the years, but NEVER our landmark wins over Texas in 1980 and 1982?

Come to think of it, they never show any of our early-80s wins, period. Arkansas was a tie and Holiday Bowl a loss.

Why has the 1982 Arkansas game been preserved but the not the 1982 Texas game which was also shown on ABC and was, in my opinion, a more exciting game?
Longtime
All-American

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Excellent point. I guess I will just have to by the DVD from heritage hall.

Man are our uni's awesome. And Keith Jackson is doing the game.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Excellent point. I guess I will just have to by the DVD from heritage hall.

Man are our uni's awesome. And Keith Jackson is doing the game.

That's one talking head I wish was in the documentary. Keith Jackson...and maybe mrydel couldve gotten Thad Frank Broyles.

In fact, Musberger was NFL Today guy during the timeframe now that I think about it.
RGV Pony

Postby Caballo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I still maintain a copy of the 1982 Texas game on a VHS tape. One of these days I need to get that converted to disk. I wish I had kept the 1980 game, but at the time I did not have a recorder and never thought that I would want to see the game again. In the middle of the third quarter I changed my mind, but it was too late.
Caballo
All-American

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Watching it now - Wow - Jackson did not like that interference call.

I think Musberger sis a great job on the Pony Excess. Makes me think his play by play is almost a self caricature.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Dukie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Watching it now - Wow - Jackson did not like that interference call.

I think Musberger sis a great job on the Pony Excess. Makes me think his play by play is almost a self caricature.

I had forgotten how much both announcers just flat-out stated the call was wrong. I think they were wrong, in focusing on the "right to occupy space" part of the rule and ignoring that the Arkansas defender was turned around and not even looking for the ball. Or was the rule different in 1982?

I'd also like to know what would have happened if #71's forearm shiver five yards out of bounds after Dickerson's run to the 50 that laid ED out for a few minutes had been correctly flagged (he should have been ejected also). First and 10 on the Arkansas 35 with all those ticks left on the clock ...
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 pm

No the basis of the call was that Nathan Jones was not going for the ball-he never turned. I never noticed before but it looks like Jones put his hip into Jackie Wilson as a way to impede him too. I'll admit it was a questionable call-but here's a point that may be forgotten. In the last 6 minutes when the game was on the line SMU got about 100 yards total offense and Arkansas got 4 even if you take the penalty out. SMU made a big special teams play too to pin Arkansas back. You still got to make plays down the streatch. SMU did
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Glad ESPN replayed this. I wasn't alive when this game was played, and this is the first time I've gotten to see a full game of the Pony Express in action.
In hearing about the game previously, I didn't realize that SMU got the ball back after the game was tied and had a chance to win with less than two minutes to go.
Biggest takeaway for me was seeing Lance McIlhenny in action. Pretty impressive stuff.
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 pm

heck we had it on about the Arkansas 38 with time for 3 plays-didn't get it done. Plus Harrell had hit a 49 yarder with about 10 yards to spare earlier in the game. What came back to me was how good Arkansas(especially Billy Ray Smith) was on Defense. Look at the scores for Arkansas on the season. About 6-7 teams were shutout or scored in single digits. Gary Anderson playing hurt was a Stud too.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby rich59 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 pm

They had a fullback also who was a good one. As always with Lou Holtz teams they were very well coached and seldom beat themselves. I liked Bobby Collins and his staff very well, especially Whitey Jordan and Jeff Bower as I played golf with them often but overall I think that Ron Meyer and his staff were a little better. Perhaps they coached a little more physical game.

Whitey Jordan had an interesting experience, coaching James and Dickerson at SMU and later Emmit Smith at Florida.
rich59
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football