PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bring Back the White Helmets!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Dooby » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:03 pm

New helmets are winless.

Old helmets won 3 of last 5 games.

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't mind the uniform changes otherwise.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Bring Back the White Helmets!

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:21 pm

you are joking - aren't u - dooby?

right?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:41 pm

Of course he is.

I admit I didn't like the new ones at first, but they've grown on me. Now I think they're part of a really good look.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:05 pm

They do look pretty good (the new unies). Of course, I liked them better the first time I saw them....when Ole Miss was wearing them. What happened to "SMU won't wear red again?" Was that just a Cavan thing?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:20 pm

oo god are we still arguing over this? I didnt think Ole Miss and SMU actually looked same but when I went to that Ole Miss vs OSU Cotton Bowl game I was just holding back from screaming SMU as it serouisly looked like us on the field

Im ok with them. A Win doesnt have anything to do what your uniform looks like
Mustangs35SMU

Postby SMUHouston » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:23 pm

Tell me about, cant we at least be original with our uniforms instead of stealing them from another 1A team. I could see if we were division III but we took exactly the same uniforms with the exact colors. The only difference is that Ole Miss has a stripe on the shoulder which they just got this year.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:26 pm

for me personally & it may be nitt-picking or just justifying the helmet color but look at how many teams use red helmets with white logos of some type - ark, ou, wsu, fresno st, usc, alabama & countless others & gosh, look at all the gold helmets out there...there's only 2 teams that i know of that use a helmet like us & its ol miss & ku (which all have different shades than us) & ku changed either last yr or the yr before....oh well - for what its worth - i pref the 30's-50's unis & then our 60's one.

end of discussion - i think :hmm:

<small>[ 01-07-2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Navy&Crimson ]</small>
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Give me red helmuts with a white mustang, blue jerseys with white numerals, and white pants with markings. Back to the future.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby pony91 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:13 pm

Put me down for the old traditional uni's. Enough trying to copy Ole Miss(see Grove-Boulevard).
pony91
Scout Team

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:24 pm

The old ones (from 2 years ago) are about as classy as any uniform in college football. I really wish we would bring them back b/c they are very recognizable.

The new ones look good - I just like the old ones. After watching Ole Miss, I do believe that a thin white stripe outlining the red mustang would be very good.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:37 pm

I agree...old ones=better. And forget the dark navy blue...where's the royal blue like in the 80s? The last two years, it looked more like SMU was trying to copy Arizona's color scheme and stripe pattern on the helmet (pre-Ole Miss). My guess is SMU is/was taking TCUs lead...the Froggies copied Northwestern when they started using the black...notice Northwestern has since changed.
RGV Pony

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:26 am

Personally, I preferred the old uniforms of two years ago as well. They were classy, instantly recognizable and as uniforms go, fairly unique.

The new ones aren't bad, but I'm not as wild about them. The helmet needs something to bring the pony out- we really should do a redesign based on what the uniforms look like from a distance or on TV. The new helmets may look sharp up close, but you really can't see what the heck is on them from any distance or on TV.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:44 am

I think that several WAC teams have blue helmets. Nevada, Rice, SJS come to mind. Nevada and Rice are navy blue as well. I liked the White helmets with the red horse. You could see the horse. The 1960's helmets were hard to distinguish from the Ark. helmets. I remember watching a few blue/gray games and trying to figure out who were the SMU players and who were the Hog players (especially hard for linemen).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:47 am

Leave the white helmets where they belong... in the past. We've got the best uniform we've ever had. If you gotta have an old uniform "fix", go see J.J. Pearce High School play.
Bergermeister

Postby PK » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:57 am

The new uniforms are great and are not copies of anyone else. I also like the use of grey pants rather than white...that way our travel uniforms don't look like longjohns. When school colors are similar, there is only so much you can do to look different. Besides, maybe the others are copying us? The old white helmets looked like a bunch of ping pong balls out on the field and the red face mask was really ugly, not intimidating...just ugly.

White logos on red helmets are no easier to recognize from a distance than our red on blue. The hogs on Arkansas's helmet from a distance looks like a big smudge.

<small>[ 01-08-2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Next

Return to Football