PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bring Back the White Helmets!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bring Back the White Helmets!

Postby ponyte » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:26 am

Pure opinion here. The new uniforms look slow and tired...like a Clydesdale. The old uniforms looked modern, sleek and fast...like a mustang.

And I don't care for the black, err, new blue colors. Bring back the royal blue.

That said, it really doesn’t matter what I like or want. It is up to the athletic department and the school administration. All the topic does it give one the oportunity to express one's opinion on a fan forum board.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:43 am

LOL - pk...sooo true!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:13 pm

The blue helmets look very good with red jerseys, we should make those permanant.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:01 pm

the rest of the country thought the old unis were hideous.... no really. they were UGLY.. classy? sleek? they looked like we hadn't changed unis since the 50s.

the new ones are perfect... i love the red and white unis.. i think the uniform itself is a luttle blah.. but the big SMU on the front and the lack of any of the spiffness on the ole mis jerseys distingush us from ole miss. trust me, no one outside of the smu community is going to mistake us for ole miss, or vice versa. eli manning chris phillips is not.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Invader133 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:04 pm

I have it on good information that the Brown Hornet is in talks with Turner & Bennett to design a new uni (he did Oregon's last year). Word is we'll be the only D-1 team that features capes.
Invader133
Recruit

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:09 pm

Originally posted by Invader133:
I have it on good information that the Brown Hornet is in talks with Turner & Bennett to design a new uni (he did Oregon's last year). Word is we'll be the only D-1 team that features capes.
Accessories are important. As a metrosexual, I would expect you to know this.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby SMUHouston » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:15 pm

Dont look like ole miss??? Please, all Nike had to do was send out a double shipment of the same uniform and let the printers put on SMU instead of Ole Miss. People can talk about having the same colors all they want, every other college team makes it work without all of them looking the same or copying someone else. We need to come up with something ORIGINAL.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Postby Invader133 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:31 am

we sound like a bunch of chix--how about some football? reminds me of Leon on the Budweiser commercials ... why not steal a page out of Parcells' book and give them the Mustang decal back on the helmet and names on jerseys when we win a game...
Invader133
Recruit

Postby The Brown Hornet » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:56 pm

Originally posted by Invader133:
we sound like a bunch of chix--how about some football? reminds me of Leon on the Budweiser commercials ... why not steal a page out of Parcells' book and give them the Mustang decal back on the helmet and names on jerseys when we win a game...
They might never get them back that way...
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:46 pm

Originally posted by PK:
The new uniforms are great and are not copies of anyone else. I also like the use of grey pants rather than white...that way our travel uniforms don't look like longjohns. When school colors are similar, there is only so much you can do to look different. Besides, maybe the others are copying us? The old white helmets looked like a bunch of ping pong balls out on the field and the red face mask was really ugly, not intimidating...just ugly.

White logos on red helmets are no easier to recognize from a distance than our red on blue. The hogs on Arkansas's helmet from a distance looks like a big smudge.
Actually, since I saw the new uniform on-line, it
has made me wonder if Turner had an input. He came from Ole Miss, and the blue helmet with the red stripe has always been their helmet since the 60s when I watched Archie Manning on TV the week after I watched SMU Mustang Chuck Hixson throw a few in the Cotton Bowl with almost the same uniform except for....

We need the RED helmet, and white Mustang decal on the side to make our uniforms different, and original like they were in the 60s. That with the royal blue shirts, and grey pants is the most original, and neat looking uniform I have ever seen.

First time I went to a Cowboy game in the late 70s, I couldn't tell that they had stars on the sides of their helmets. No, I was sitting in the lower level of Texas Stadium.

When I watched the Cotton Bowl, I was pulling for Ole Miss because they looked so much like SMU, and OSU's coaching staff were jerks for going for the NCAA record TD pass catches by one receiver in one game by throwing to their All-America Woods after we were down, and out.

<small>[ 01-11-2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: PlanoStang ]</small>
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:51 am

Whether we copied anyone or not is academic since none of us was consulted, but lest you some how missed the announcement, SMU's official colors are Yale blue and Harvard crimson. Royal blue is not now, nor has it ever been a shade of Yale blue. The current uniforms are in my humble opinion (and that's what all these post are...someone's opinion) the best looking uniforms we have ever had...period. :thumbupcool:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:43 pm

All I know is that SMU has worn what I call royal blue since the mid 60s when they wore blue jerseys. Navy blue or almost black belongs to the NAVY, or them TT loving people.

SMU has never worn crimson as far as I know of. It has always been cardinal red since the 40s.

Leave the crimson to those cheatahs from OK U, and Bama.

<small>[ 01-12-2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: PlanoStang ]</small>
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football