PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU buying out OSU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU buying out OSU

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:54 pm

I just hope and pray that we already have another team lined to play at Ford.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby wanderso17 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:04 pm

What I understood, when Robert Allen was saying this, is that OSU did want a cupcake at home before playing UCLA. I believe UCLA is on their schedule this year as an away game. Robert Allen also said that Phil Bennett wanted out of this sooner, like last year, but there was never an agreement made. Robert Allen said that Phil Bennett wanted no part of the cowboys at home in Dallas, but would rather have someone that SMU could get a win off of. So, the contract we signed with OSU was for our gain as having them as an opponent. Therefore, we have to buy out, or play out and with Gerald Turner being a friend of Birdwell, OSU's athletic director, we are released from the two games left but have to pay out.
wanderso17

Postby wanderso17 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:10 pm

MORE NEWS TO ADD. . . I just went and looked at OSU's schedule. They play UCLA on Sept. 4th. Now I remember them saying that they wanted a cupcake game at the end of August before tavelling to LA. This is why all of this started in the first place. So, add this to the rest of the story and it makes more sense.
wanderso17

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Remember next year we MUST average 15,000 Butts in Seats (tickets torn), to stay Division 1-A (90,000 for six games). Scheduling a 1-AA opponant who doesn't travel well might not be the best move. Although, I wouldn't mind Grambling. Army does travel well. They had over 25,000 at TCU last year. Navy had about 20,000 here. If we add Army or Navy, they would put at least 20,000 butts in seats. TT 32,000. That makes 52,000 with four games to go and so we would need to only average 10,000/game against SJS, LT, Tulsa, and Nevada. But if we got an opponant who drew only 10,000 for that game, we'd be 8,000 fans short of our necessary goal.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:15 pm

While OSU may want to schedule a game in August, I expect we would probably want to put a home game around September 18th, the scheduled date of the OSU game as the week before and the four weeks after that are booked. The other possibility is, like OSU is apparently trying to do, something for the last week in August before the Texas Tech game.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby wanderso17 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:23 pm

I just got this off of the gopokes.com website. They have been talking about this as much as we have. Robert Allen is a columnist for OSU, so he is a reliable source to them. This is what one post said. . . . ."RA just reported on the Animalthat SMU bought out the remaining games of t he series. This was done during the Cotton Bowl. RA said that OSU will more than likely keep the SMU weekend as an off week and that they will try to schedule a home game (possibly against a weaker D-1 or D-2 team) the last of August to warm the Pokes up before heading west to UCLA."
COWBOY UP!

Edited by: Orange821 at: 1/6/04 4:52:01 pm
wanderso17

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:50 pm

SMU should schedule Mississippi State. They were arguably the worst non-Vandy team in the SEC last year, and will have a new coach to deal with. SMU could schedule them and win, and all that you'll hear about will be how the Ponies beat and SEC team, we're on the rise etc. etc. Of course, the whole story will be ignored, but it will make for good momentum if the "we can bet an SEC team so we must be better" story flies.
RGV Pony

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Originally posted by RGV Pony:
SMU should schedule Mississippi State. They were arguably the worst non-Vandy team in the SEC last year, and will have a new coach to deal with. SMU could schedule them and win, and all that you'll hear about will be how the Ponies beat and SEC team, we're on the rise etc. etc. Of course, the whole story will be ignored, but it will make for good momentum if the "we can bet an SEC team so we must be better" story flies.
MSU does have an open date on September 18, and they only have 10 games scheduled right now. So they need to find one game as well. If you didn't already know this before your post, give me some lotto numbers for tonight.
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:30 pm

Since when do we not qualify as a cupcake? I know some of you think it is impossible, but if we schedule a I-AA team, and lose to them, the effect could be disasterous.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Dooby » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:39 pm

You are right, why risk winning a game? We went 5-7 in moral victories last year. That's more than good enough.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leadpony » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:07 pm

Miss St. would Wax the ponies. So would Vandy.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:18 pm

Originally posted by Mike Damone:
Since when do we not qualify as a cupcake? I know some of you think it is impossible, but if we schedule a I-AA team, and lose to them, the effect could be disasterous.
The Brown Hornet proposes that the following teams be considered:

1. Texas Women's College. Fish don't fry in the kitchen my [deleted].

2. Mary-Hardin Baylor. Pick one name, and stick to it damnit.

3. Samford. This is the big one! You hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey!

4. West Virginia Wesleyan. They beat us 9-7 in 1925. Time for a little revenge.

5. Centenary (LA). We are 2-4 all time against this great power. Time to change that my friends!

6. Love Field. We played them back 1918 and won 6-0. They would probably bring a lot of fans.
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:33 pm

How about a game against the Sewanee Tigers, 19th century powerhouse and charter member of the SEC.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:05 pm

Originally posted by Mike Damone:
We are a cupcake, but if I understand the other post, our game with OSU was scheduled for after their UCLA game and they want their cupcake before that game. I assume we were not available for that earlier date...not that we really wanted to be their cupcake again.

<small>[ 01-08-2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:15 pm

FYI: Sam Houston State (Southland Conference, Div.1-AA) currently has 'open' dates on Sept. 4, Oct. 2 and Oct. 9. Former Texas A&M QB Dustin Long pulled a Josh McCown and has announced his transfer to be a Bearkat, effective spring '04, so that he can play this fall. A lotta Aggies in the Dallas area might come to the game to support the Mustangs, if they view him as a 'traitor', as some on this board view McCown. Wouldn't that be somethin'? Aggies in Ford Stadium cheering for the Mustangs! LOL (O.K. I'm dreaming...) Sam Houston hosts Montana on Sept. 18 in Huntsville. :whistling:

<small>[ 01-08-2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965

PreviousNext

Return to Football