PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Friday's DMN: OC hired!; and confirms attempts to buy out OSU.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Friday's DMN: OC hired!; and confirms attempts to buy out OSU.

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:18 am

So did the other 10 schools we played.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:25 am

Hey Copeland should not be criticized for creating a "scheduling fiasco" by scheduling OSU. Pleeeezze. We are not playing in the Little Leagues-we used to actually have a nice program. Used to play and beat some of the Big Boys when OSU was a perrennial loser. Blame the people who created the damn Model that makes us so damn uncompetitive. Playing OSU and Tech is a great idea and a financial boon-having a pathetic Model that forces you to schedule teams like Army and Grambling to pick up a win is the problem. But that being said I have no problem delaying the series until we can be more competitive.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:32 am

We can't schedule anyone weaker than us except Army. That's why we have to go to lesser divisions. I'm not sure how beating Grambling gives anyone any confidence. Hell, let's play Highland Park and Pearce.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:48 am

Originally posted by OldPony:
We can't schedule anyone weaker than us except Army. That's why we have to go to lesser divisions. I'm not sure how beating Grambling gives anyone any confidence. Hell, let's play Highland Park and Pearce.
A few weeks ago, some on this board were lauding over Tulsa's turnaround. I don't recall too many people complaining about their win over a 1-AA opponent then and I doubt Tulsa's players cared that much when they were playing in December. But hey, they only won 1 game in 2002; were riding a 9 game losing streak dating back to that 2002 season when they played a 1-AA school and got a win and then won two more and ultimately finished 8-5, after losing in the Humanitarian Bowl. Maybe that win gave them a little confidence.

<small>[ 01-09-2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Dooby ]</small>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:50 am

I understand your point OldPony, but wouldn't you feel slightly better if we had won even one game last season? If that game had come early enough maybe we would have been able to find the strength to then beat Baylor, Utep and Nevada, and maybe even TCU. We had some close games and having the confidence that we can finish something out and get a win might have given us that last little oomph we needed to get a few more wins granted they would have been over other perennially weak teams, but I would rather 3 wins, against Baylor, UTEP and Grambling, then 0 wins against Baylor, UTEP and OSU.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:00 am

Some of the posters on this board sound like Coach Buzzcut off of Beavis and Butthead.

"You wanna see a man boy. I'll show you a man. Kick me in the jimmy."

[Sadly, I looked for a photo and couldn't find one.] :(
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OldPony » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:07 am

I see nothing wrong with an easier game or two on the schedule and hopefully it is the first one. Kind of like when we played Navy. If we are paying money to achieve that though, that is different. Also, we are concerned about D-1 attendance issues. OSU will fill our stadium. Grambling? Maybe but I doubt it.
Our conference schedule is an easy one. We need to have some OOC opponents who are good.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:18 am

Would many of us care if we had one game last year against a D 1-AA school? There isn't a big difference between 0-12 and 1-11 in my book.

My point is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to be paying over $100,000 to break contracts. Let's face it there should be several conference teams on our schedule that are more than beatbale and frankly we should have this year. I just think you get better by playing better teams and it also helps recruiting. We had a really young team this year that got pounded by OSU, well next year we should be more competitive.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:59 am

Yeah, 1-11 ad 0-12 aren't a big difference. But if we beat the crap out of a lower division 2 school and get our confidence up going into the Baylor game, I think we win that game as well, and possibly UTEP. Confidence helps out a lot - Remember, Baylor scheduled us and a lower division school last year and that confidence sure helped them in the Colorado game.

When building a program, I have no problem playing weak opponents non-conference. Once the program is built, then you schedule games with the big boys.
JasonB

Postby bhop » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:37 pm

It sounds like just about everyone is getting in on this one, so here's my two cents.

Playing a series against a vastly superior OSU program that hangs 55-60 points on us every time out serves no purpose. I think the theory of "if we play big-name regional opponents our attendance problem will take care of itself" is flawed. By getting grated into swiss cheese by these same opponents, we ensure that SMU fans and potential fans tune out early in the season and we end up with 5,000-10,000 at our last three or four home games. Look at TCU, they played a bunch of home games against schools from other parts of the country and were able to draw 25,000-30,000 per game. Why. . .because they were good!

Getting crushed by OSU is not going to help this team get better. Let's work on fielding a competative team, THEN we can schedule some tougher opponents. After all, no one on this board has even witnessed an SMU victory in football for over a year.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby OldPony » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:16 pm

I'm sure that more than 10,000 will show up the last 3 games if we are 1-8 having beaten Grambling.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:21 am

But at least we would have gotten 25,000 for Grambling and then I don't care as much about attendance at the last three games.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:36 am

has Grambling ever drawn less than 45,-50,000 in Dallas in the last 30 years-at least 20 games? I don't think so. Grambling would be a sure sellout without a doubt-the problem might be that they will want more money to play us than we are willing to pay since they play Prairie View in the Cotton Bowl and split the gate. Even SJSU in California sold out for Grambling. The Band is worth the price of admission alone
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:44 am

I'm all for Grambling as an opponent at Ford. One problem that we are going to run into unless the ticket office addresses it is the price of our ticktets. Tickets to games in Grambling's conference are about half (or less) than ours. If you ever look at the pricing for the State Fair game they are incredibly cheap (e.g. $5 for the lesser quality, and $15 for the best seats).

IMO, our standard pricing would reduce the Grambling turnout substantially. That said, even with our standard pricing, it would be a far larger crowd than we typically see.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:13 pm

Actually, I agree. If we were a downtrodden State school in a small country town, then schedule the patsies...but, attendance = $$$, and big boys = attendance.

Originally posted by Stallion:
Hey Copeland should not be criticized for creating a "scheduling fiasco" by scheduling OSU. Pleeeezze. We are not playing in the Little Leagues-we used to actually have a nice program. Used to play and beat some of the Big Boys when OSU was a perrennial loser. Blame the people who created the damn Model that makes us so damn uncompetitive. Playing OSU and Tech is a great idea and a financial boon-having a pathetic Model that forces you to schedule teams like Army and Grambling to pick up a win is the problem. But that being said I have no problem delaying the series until we can be more competitive.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football