PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fixing this program

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fixing this program

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:51 pm

our attendence is not frozen in concrete - if we win it goes up.

Schedule some pattsies - get some W's build the program and OUR OWN fan base at the same time.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:37 pm

RGV, it's really pretty simple. Each year we become further removed from the years in which SMU fielded a winner. In turn, our fan base erodes a little each year and we have done nothing (in the W column) to gain new fans. Not only are we not gaining new fans, we're also gradually losing existing ones. We've lost an entire generation, or 2, by not fielding a winning team in the last 15 years. Until we make a significant turnaround, we will likely see a continued decline in attendance. I'm just hoping that we can regain attendance once the winning starts.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:54 pm

The new Ford stadium was an attraction the first yeat it was opened. Likewise, the first year we play in the C-USA, SMU will get a small bounce in attendance. The lame duck year in the WAC is going to be bad, even if we have a turn arou :no: nd season (which I don't expect). As for the forlorn hope of Bennett's two recruting classes saving the program in the 2004 schedule,forgetaboutit. Ron "the liar" Myer pointed out that good teams have seniors as linemen starting every year. He also said that winning cures cancer. And maybe he was right about having to pay good players to come to SMU if you want to win it all - but I don't believe in that and don't want to go there. :no:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:25 pm

Originally posted by cowboypony:
RGV, it's really pretty simple. Each year we become further removed from the years in which SMU fielded a winner. In turn, our fan base erodes a little each year and we have done nothing (in the W column) to gain new fans. Not only are we not gaining new fans, we're also gradually losing existing ones. We've lost an entire generation, or 2, by not fielding a winning team in the last 15 years. Until we make a significant turnaround, we will likely see a continued decline in attendance. I'm just hoping that we can regain attendance once the winning starts.
Actually, we did have a winning season in 97. 6-5. Problem was that it was Cavan using Rossley's recruited players.

Major problem was that we would've gone 7-4, or maybe 8-3, and possibly made a bowl game if Copeland hadn't fired Rossley. Rossley was gradually improving us since the DP, but that was too slow for Copeland.

Copeland's great choice from Div. IAA, Cavan came in, and benched the most productive QB we've ever had in Ramon Flanigan for multiple games which cost us a game or two. Then he benched our best RB Donte Womack for the final game of the season against tcu for a minor curfew violation.

The win against tcu would've made us 7-4, and possible bowl game invitees. If Ramon hadn't been benched, 8-3 and sure bowl invitee. Would've been big news that SMU made a bowl game HONESTLY 11 years after DP assessed.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:36 pm

If SMu ever has awinning seans, it is going to make sporting news. No kidding.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football