PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett finalizes SMU football staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Dooby » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:31 pm

Latest addition is offensive line coach from Middle Tennessee

09:50 PM CST on Monday, January 12, 2004

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – SMU made the final changes to its football coaching staff Monday when Ronnie Vinklarek was named offensive line coach, replacing Blake Miller.

Vinklarek, a native of Flatonia, Texas, was the offensive line coach at Middle Tennessee State last season. He also coached at Buffalo and Tennessee in the NFL and at Valdosta (Ga.) State, Houston and Oklahoma State in the college ranks. He also coached the CFL's Birmingham franchise.

Vinklarek, 45, recruited the Texas area while at Middle Tennessee State.

Larry Edmondson, who was the offensive coordinator last season, will coach the wide receivers.

Clarence James, the wide receivers coach last season, has been moved to running backs coach.

Jerry Bennett will become the director of high school relations. He also will coach the tight ends and inside receivers.

Eric Roark is the recruiting coordinator and defensive ends coach.

Austin Adami has been named the offensive graduate assistant.

"All of the coaches feel good about what they're doing," SMU head coach Phil Bennett said. "Jerry knows every high school coach in the state, and it gives him more time to set up our camps. Ronnie is a great story and an excellent coach with experience."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Bennett finalizes SMU football staff

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:55 pm

I hope that these coaching/administrative assignments will eventually establish that Phil Bennett is developing as a head coach.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:27 am

Jerry Bennett, in the position of director of high school relations, will be very effective and productive. Phil was right when he said that there is not a high school coach that Jerry doesn't know. On the other hand, there are very few who don't know Jerry and they LIKE him and RESPECT him. It's a plus for the overall program. I think it is a terrific move. I think all of the moves play to the strengths of the individuals and will make us considerably better.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:14 am

"Ronnie is a great story and an excellent coach with experience."

Well... What's the great story? Typical DMN coverage (or lack thereof).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:23 am

Not sure you will find the "great story" here, but here is his bio:

http://www.smumustangs.com/coaches_bios.asp?sport=football&ID=235
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:17 pm

OK- What's the catch? A guy who used to be the O line coach fro the Bills and the Titans then takes a job at some small colleges? Now he takes the same job at SMU. This is a very impressive resume but what is he doing at SMU. Does he owe Bennett money? Does Bennett have dirty pictures of him? What is going on?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:37 pm

He went to Middle Tennessee State when another NFL job fell through at the last minute. He was among the candidates last year when the Bills' job opened up. He's a very good hire.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:18 am

The are about a gazillion jobs open in the NFL this year too with 7-8 new head coaches being hired. There are also a lot of colleges which are changing. Nebraska fired all most all of their assitants. I repeat my question.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:43 am

And some of those new head coaches have preferred people they worked with before. Joe Gibbs chose Joe Bugel for offensive line. No surprise there. The Bills former head coach became DC with the Redskins who already had an OL coach. We don't know what if any offers he had when he accepted us, and quite frankly might have gotten if he had waited for these coaches to fill their positions. He had a job offer here, that probably had a short acceptance fuse. Bennett landed an experienced line coach with Texas recruiting ties. You can't ask for much more than that.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:25 am

Is this a sign that perhaps our pay scales for assistant coaches is on par with the big boys now? I would assume that NFL pays quite a bit more but maybe not. Would this be a sign of The Commitment?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:44 am

Naaaaaah. :roll: :no:

<small>[ 01-14-2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: PlanoStang ]</small>
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:33 am

How 'bout the idea that he wants to be at SMU. Phil explained the status of the program and outlined his goals. Obviously, the offer and the opportunity was attractive enough to merit his coming on board. We don't have much to show in the way of wins RIGHT NOW, but we will. And SMU is not a bad place to be. You chose it and so did I. I hope he is part of the staff that produces a winner!
Bergermeister

Return to Football