PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Good Time to Share

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A Good Time to Share

Postby Mitch McConnell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 am

Why isn't good for public consumption? How do we know that there's a very good chance that it's a fabrication? Because others said that it wasn't and quote others "with first-hand knowledge who said it was innacurate?"

Do you think Thad's film detailing the meeting of March 1985 harmed the innocent?

Did the SMU stationary letter that Dale Hansen presented to Henry Lee Parker a fabrication. Did it harm the innocent? Seemed like Dale had a pretty good trail and if Parker was smart, he should have said what Dale suggested to throw them off the trail.

If people are going to come out here and make these declarative statements, THEN BACK IT UP!

Otherwise there's a lot of smoke being blown.

My original question is for something like this is:

"How do you know that?" And if you can't answer that...
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 am

Thad's film is "peer reviewed." Since this thing isn't -- and there is a very good chance that it's fabricated -- it can only hurt people. Once it's reasonably confirmed, I'm all for getting it out there.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 pm

I have documents with Meyer's handwriting on them. I am not a handwriting expert but there is no similarity in the documents I have and these presented.

I know this is a posters collection that he had with his programs. that doesn't authenticate these documents.

Did players get paid, yes we know that. Is this proof of how got paid and how much, I have no idea.

There isn’t a date. There isn’t any last names. There isn’t any handwriting confirmation.

I also have a letter from Meyer on New England Patriots letterhead which is very different form this heading. So it would be interesting to know what type of stationary used cause it sure isn’t a letterhead. Ws this a note pad? And could anyone, including a PO’ed player like Matt Cavanaugh have access to that note pad?

This is juicy stuff that make eventually turns in to Urban legend on the Net. But I haven’t seen one thing that indicates that these documents are authentic.
ponyte

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 pm

I gave a copy to one player on that list and he is very mad about it.
ponyboy

Postby ponyte » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Who on this earth wouldn't be? If one is clean, they are subjected to anger for being unfairly implicated. And if this is correct and it was a private arrangement, then the publication of private transactions could lead to anger. And there are other angles that could lead to one being upset.

So which is it?

I am troubled that this is being presented as possibly authentic and there isn’t a shred of evidence to substantiate that claim.
ponyte

Postby Mitch McConnell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Ponyboy, unfortunately we live in a world where a lot of untrue and true things get out on the internet and can't come back. But there wasn't much to peer review on Hansen's meeting with Hitch, Parker and Collins. Ironclad.

And now, this posted item isn't coming back. I'm not siding with Diamond Tom on this but he made the choice to put it out there. Now, he has to live with it.

My argument centered on those who attacked it because I found what they said to be more generalizations than anything else. And that's just not good enough for me.

Nobody knows what the real answer is.

If you'll notice, I haven't remarked if I think it's authentic or not. I just don't know and wouldn't care to speculate.

I find it interesting, though.

P.S. -- What exactly is the player mad about?
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Postby Samurai Stang » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Mitch McConnell wrote:You need to get off your militant high horse and stop interjecting what is and isn't right for the board.

Because that is your job?
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby Samurai Stang » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm

diamond_tom wrote:Any lawyers here know if he can be blocked from posting my documents over there without my permission?

You put it on the internet. What did you expect? Are you truly that naive? May you find better lawyers than the music industry.

I told you posting this was a horrible idea. But no, you were so stupid that you re-posted it simply so some of the words would not be cut off!

You should be thankful you are anonymous because a lot of people on your "list" might like to find you.
Last edited by Samurai Stang on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm

I think this is a very interesting piece and that the handwriting is similar to the Meyer autograph Stallion posted and Dickerson's HOF speech comment might be explained if this piece is authentic.

That being said, I think that so long as this isn't presented as being authentic ("let the viewer decide"), there isn't a problem with the post. I realize that Diamond Tom presents it as authentic, and I question his judgment in doing that (unless he is 100% certain that it's authentic, why advertise it as such?).
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:23 pm

RULE 901. REQUIREMENT OF AUTHENTICATION OR IDENTIFICATION
(a) General Provision. The requirement of authentication or identification as a condition precedent to admissibility is satisfied by evidence sufficient to support a finding that the matter in question is what its proponent claims.

(b) Illustrations. By way of illustration only, and not by way of limitation, the following are examples of authentication or identification conforming with the requirements of this rule:

(1) Testimony of witness with knowledge. Testimony that a matter is what it is claimed to be.

(2) Nonexpert opinion on handwriting. Nonexpert opinion as to the genuineness of handwriting, based upon familiarity not acquired for purposes of the litigation.

(3) Comparison by trier or expert witness. Comparison by the trier of fact or by expert witness with specimens which have been found by the court to be genuine.

(4) Distinctive characteristics and the like. Appearance, contents, substance, internal patterns, or other distinctive characteristics, taken in conjunction with circumstances.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Stallion wrote:RULE 901. REQUIREMENT OF AUTHENTICATION OR IDENTIFICATION
(a) General Provision. The requirement of authentication or identification as a condition precedent to admissibility is satisfied by evidence sufficient to support a finding that the matter in question is what its proponent claims.

(b) Illustrations. By way of illustration only, and not by way of limitation, the following are examples of authentication or identification conforming with the requirements of this rule:

(1) Testimony of witness with knowledge. Testimony that a matter is what it is claimed to be.

(2) Nonexpert opinion on handwriting. Nonexpert opinion as to the genuineness of handwriting, based upon familiarity not acquired for purposes of the litigation.

(3) Comparison by trier or expert witness. Comparison by the trier of fact or by expert witness with specimens which have been found by the court to be genuine.

(4) Distinctive characteristics and the like. Appearance, contents, substance, internal patterns, or other distinctive characteristics, taken in conjunction with circumstances.

Or if you're, I don't know I could come up with some examples,..you just throw some [deleted] out there and hope it will stick. Genuine or not, let those that you're after suffer the fees and expense of defending themselves/litigating whatever hair you've got up your [deleted]
RGV Pony

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Dutch wrote:pretty cool piece of history. i'd probably have that framed in my office - as a conversation piece if nothing else

WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! Just started reading this thread!!!

diamond_tom .... what can I possibly pay you to get these? I'd love to frame them with one of the posters for Pony Exce$$.

THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!!!
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Junior » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Do some of you really think they're going to re-open the SMU infractions case based upon potential new evidence? Look, it's out there now. Nothing we can really do about it now.

Personally, I find it interesting, but it's not new information that we had some players on the take. If that is news to you, I'd like to recommend a film entitled Pony Excess.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Webmaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Without definitive corroboration of the source -- and we would like to point out in the strongest possible terms possible that this forum is not a court of law and therefore is unsuited for anything more than speculation -- this unsubstantiated document is nothing more than a curiosity. A very interesting curiosity to be sure...

But it could have come from the desk of any enterprising undergrad making a joke just as easily as it could have come from one of the former SMU coaches who went to New England. So while it is certainly interesting, it is irresponsible to formulate an opinion regarding the payment of former players based on this document.

Please be considerate of this forum's rules and refrain from posting anything that might be construed as potentially libelous, as it will be removed by the moderators.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football