PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Story: Rusty Burns

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Story: Rusty Burns

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:53 am

We have a story on new Mustangs offensive coordinator Rusty Burns on the homepage. Looks like the Mustangs might be airing it out a bit more this season! :showoff:

A story on Ronnie Vinklarek will be up in the next few days.

<small>[ 01-14-2004, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Smoo Power ]</small>
SmooPower
Heisman

Re: New Story: Rusty Burns

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Great story -- nice job, guys.

Sounds like he is indeed a coach who can really jump-start an offense. This makes me even more eager for the start of spring ball.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Pony Up » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:21 pm

Terrific story!
Sounds like Coach Burns can really develop young talent. He had three freshman WRs last year at Cincinnati, and this year, he has a trio of sophomore WRs (Warren, Pellerin, Cleveland) -- not to mention Rushbrook, Taylor (we hope), Vinson, Griffin and the newcomers. If he can make the passing game a legitimate threat that defenses have to honor, then Massey and Munlin will be even more effective than we think they already will be.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 pm

Like the others have said Great Job on the Story!!
Whoo Im ready for Football to start again lol
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:31 pm

Agreed, once again a great article by our terrific webmasters. Please keep it up.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:21 am

I am really interested to see how he utilizes the players next year. Obviously, we have strengths in depth at running back and Chase is giong to have an impact at TE. If Munlin plays FB, you can't take him off the field. I will be interested to see the mix of formations - our formation calls for a base offense of a TE, 2 backs and 2 WR, but if you play a base formation of 3 WR, do you sacrifice a TE or a RB? Very curious to see what happens. My guess is that we will play three wide, with a tight end and a single running back as a base formation. That would mean Massey and Munlin sharing time, and Brown only used in short yardage situations.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:21 am

I am really interested to see how he utilizes the players next year. Obviously, we have strengths in depth at running back and Chase is giong to have an impact at TE. If Munlin plays FB, you can't take him off the field. I will be interested to see the mix of formations - our formation calls for a base offense of a TE, 2 backs and 2 WR, but if you play a base formation of 3 WR, do you sacrifice a TE or a RB? Very curious to see what happens. My guess is that we will play three wide, with a tight end and a single running back as a base formation. That would mean Massey and Munlin sharing time, and Brown only used in short yardage situations.
JasonB

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:04 pm

I must admit that as discouraged as I have been about SMU FB, the new coaches and the JUCO QB transfers have given me new hope for next year's team. I back on board the bandwagon. :thumbupcool:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football