PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Univ. Kentucky Fan Web site results in banned booster

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Univ. Kentucky Fan Web site results in banned booster

Postby Dooby » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:58 pm

PonyPride and Smoo Power are next.

Unapproved contact draws 27-year ban for Kentucky fan
From staff and wire reports
The University of Kentucky has banned a fan from any involvement with the school's sports programs for 27 years.
The decision to ban Brian Poe, 34, stems from unapproved contact with potential football recruits during the spring of 2002, the school said.

That means Poe, who runs a Kentucky fan Web site, cannot purchase season tickets. It also means no coaches, players, staff members or potential recruits can have contact with him.

The school originally banned Poe for two years after it was found he inappropriately interviewed high school recruits.

Kentucky compliance director Sandy Bell said she contacted the NCAA after finding out about Poe's initial interviews with recruits. She said she was told "we were responsible for his action. And we had to report those violations. Those kids did nothing more than say yes to an interview. It was very upsetting for the young men."

Bell said she found out from another booster that Poe was circulating e-mails asking for help in recruiting student-athletes to Kentucky. She said the school talked with NCAA officials, and as a result 25 years were added to the ban.

The NCAA says fan Web sites aren't considered media outlets and that the school might be accountable if a representative contacts a recruit. Such contact might be an NCAA violation.

Poe joins five others previously barred from associating with Kentucky athletics. Lexington horseman Tom Gentry received a lifetime ban for NCAA-related problems in the 1970s.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Univ. Kentucky Fan Web site results in banned booster

Postby SmooPower » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:29 pm

You are about to draw a 27 year ban for that avatar image. :laugh:

This has actually come to the attention of PonyFans.com and we have a disclaimer up now that you all should read.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:00 pm

I had my dish on Starz a few weeks ago and I saw About Schmidt was on, I heard it had Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates and thought I'd check it out. I turned it on right during THAT scene. Don't tell prospects to check out our alumna in that movie!
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:12 pm

All I got to say is thank god Im not in my home town of Lexington Kentucky (was born there)
I do cheer for the Cats still *unless facing SMU like this year in Womens Soccer)
and I was even there to witness the 1998 National Championship in basketball.
just hope they dont start getting out of hand with these banning of fans
Mustangs35SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:47 pm

GO CATS! I'm a huge Kentucky basketball fan (my dad is an alumnus) :)

Everyone has their booster stories I suppose. SMU, even.

Ahem.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MaroonFrog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:02 pm

How sad for this dedicated Wildcat fan:

He won't be able to enjoy the excitement of tearing down the goalposts after a loss for 27 years!
Go Frogs
MaroonFrog
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:33 pm

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
GO CATS! I'm a huge Kentucky basketball fan (my dad is an alumnus)
Same Here!!!!!! Freakyyyyyy! oo well Im all about SMU (whole mom's side of the family went to Mustang country)

<small>[ 01-17-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Mustangs35SMU ]</small>
Mustangs35SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:09 pm

MaroonDumbass - I'm only a Kentucky BASKETBALL fan.. but I forgive you as I know they don't have reading in the curriculum at TCU.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MaroonFrog » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
MaroonDumbass - I'm only a Kentucky BASKETBALL fan.. but I forgive you as I know they don't have reading in the curriculum at TCU.
Whoa, I don't know why you're getting so angry, I wasn't even talking about YOU. I was talking about the guy, Brian Poe, in the article:

Unapproved contact draws 27-year ban for Kentucky fan
From staff and wire reports
The University of Kentucky has banned a fan from any involvement with the school's sports programs for 27 years.
The decision to ban Brian Poe, 34, stems from unapproved contact with potential football recruits during the spring of 2002, the school said.

From reading the article, it looks like Brian Poe is/was a Kentucky FOOTBALL fan.

<small>[ 01-18-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: MaroonFrog ]</small>
Go Frogs
MaroonFrog
Recruit

Return to Football