PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ricky Joe Meeks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ricky Joe Meeks

Postby lbloomiii » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:19 pm

What happened tp this guy? Is he not in the mix at QB at all?
lbloomiii

Re: Ricky Joe Meeks

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:49 pm

He is absolutely in the mix, but took a redshirt. Phillips' mobility gave him the edge to be ready to run the offense sooner.

However, look for Meeks to be in the hunt, especially once the OL improves. I think the psitive outlook on Meeks and Phillips is reflected in the fact that we aren't recruiting a HS QB this year.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 am

We did (and are) recruiting a high school QB, although it's a long shot.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:50 am

Don't be surprised to see him as our punter which, in turn, could make our punt coverage much better due to his threat to execute a fake (not to mention his ability to actually punt).
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:39 pm

6'3" 210 lb Ricky Joe meeks, welcome to the TE squad, with Hodges and Wallis out Ryan K. will needed a back up. Man It's tough going from QB to TE. I hope it does'nt happen to you. good luck
:shifty:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:02 pm

A QB who had offers from several top schools and was a top rated recruit at his position is not going to be turned into a TE or LB or punter.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:16 pm

Originally posted by JasonB:
A QB who had offers from several top schools and was a top rated recruit at his position is not going to be turned into a TE or LB or punter.
Agree 100%.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:44 pm

Don't be so quick to say he won't be the punter. He was an all state punter on a number of publications. He would not be "turned into a punter." He already is one - and probably the best one on the team. Why wouldn't you use him as a punter much like Danny White was used. We should always put the best guys on the field. His ability to execute a fake punt would be a clear advantage to our punt squad. And, no, he absolutely will not become a TE.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:21 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like someone is being a bit bitter.

Mark Hodges could be a pretty good TE. Often times the reason that a high school kid is made quarterback isn't because that's the best position suited for their talents, but because that kid is the best athlete on the the HS team. The one player that has to execute almost every offensive play is the QB, so it makes some sense to put your most gifted athlete in that position. I admitedly didn't watch any of his high school games, but it's my inclination that is the scoop on Hodges.

Just look how readily he adapted to TE... Size, strength, speed, agility, hands.

That's not to imply that he won't have success at QB at a lower level. I just think he had the makings of a dandy TE. And maybe he'd have a better, more productive career at TE.

Kennedy looks good to me too. He didn't have many catches last year, be he did jump up and snag a couple. When the ball went his way, I thought he looked good.

Guess we might be seeing Vincent Chase sooner rather than later.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:27 pm

We're talking about Meeks not Hodges - just to clarify.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby CoxSMU » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:53 pm

Meeks is built a little like Bartel. The difference, I hope, is it seems like Meeks has his head on straight and doesn't have the attitude that Bartel does. Also, Bartel played like he had a backup option if he failed(baseball), but for Meeks, he has to play with everything he has because of the number of QB we have now. I am not saying Bartel didn't play with everything he had, but he had a terrible attitude and from what I know(not much), Meeks doesn't have that attitude...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:02 pm

From everything I know about Meeks, I think you're right.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:08 pm

I was replying to what Relative-Stang posted about Meeks and Hodges.

But since you want to talk about Meeks... I haven't formulated an opinion good or bad based on what I've seen from him at practice last season. But I do remember he was All-State as a junior (and senior if I'm not mistaken) as a punter. So why not use him like Danny White? Obviously he's a darn good punter and pretty athletic (good golfer too), so why not? Could be real dangerous on 4th and short.

Another thing to consider, if you can get him in for a few snaps every game, that's got to be a good confidence builder. Gets a young QB accustomed to the speed, the pressure, lets him shake off a few hits. Good way to get some experience and prepare him for when it's his turn to take the reigns.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Same here. I don't yet know what his QB future is; however, as you state, he is a good athlete and could make our opponents think somewhat differently on punting situations, partucilarly fourth and 1 inside their territory. I'm hopeful that he will get a few snaps at QB this year so he can be prepared to contribute. Also, if he is good enough to be the punter then that's one more available scholarship that can be used elsewhere.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:32 pm

Relative-Stang(Mr/Mrs Hodges) - Try and not let your bitterness show so much. Jealousy isn't your best color.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Next

Return to Football