PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So much for moving the OSU game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So much for moving the OSU game

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:17 am

DMN reporting that Copeland says we couldn't work out moving the OSU game back to 2005 or 2006 and getting an easier opponent to come to Ford 9/18, so the schedule remains the same. Another brutal Sept for our guys. Not sure whether this fell through because OSU couldn't find a replacement, or whether we couldn't find an opponent and make the $$$ fit. Just hope we compete better than we did last year and that our guys aren't totally demoralized by the time WAC play starts.

Let's hope we see some good things in spring ball and then we can start speculating whether 2004 will be the year the Ponies jump up and shock either TTech or TCU. At some point, it's bound to happen.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: So much for moving the OSU game

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:33 pm

Sounds like another 0-3 start for the Ponies. Let's hope that Tech brings 25-30,000 for their game so that we can average 15K next year.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:10 pm

TTech may be the only game that draws flies next year. If we start 0-3, I wouldn't expect more than 10-15k for San Jose and the next best draw will be the La Tech Homecoming game...maybe another 15k. Towards the end of another losing season, Tulsa and Nevada will be 8-12k "crowds". If TTech draws 30k, which they should, we will only need 45k from those other 4 games, so if we field a more competitive team it should be no problem averaging 15k. Since the La Tech game will be my 30th anniversary Homecoming, I guess I should start making my travel plans...and it's never too early to start recruiting as many classmates as possible to attend that game!
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:32 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
Let's hope we see some good things in spring ball and then we can start speculating whether 2004 will be the year the Ponies jump up and shock either TTech or TCU.
I dunno why but I just have this true feeling we are going to beat those Frogs this year :thumbupcool:
Mustangs35SMU

Postby osu9400 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:35 am

Next year will be different. You guys will be stronger, and we will be early in an offensive rebuilding year. The elder Woods will be gone, Tatum Bell will be gone, and if our QB heads to MLB, then we will also be struggling to find our new identity with a running QB.

I'm not saying we will lose, but it will be a different game with a different feel. We will not break any NCAA records.
osu9400

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:38 am

Thats fine - that last game will stay with us for awhile. I felt like running down and tackling the guy myself, (not that I could have) figuring it would be better to just get the flag each time then let him score a touchdown.
gostangs

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:53 pm

Originally posted by gostangs:
Thats fine - that last game will stay with us for awhile. I felt like running down and tackling the guy myself, (not that I could have) figuring it would be better to just get the flag each time then let him score a touchdown.
Hmmmm, :hmm: isn't tackling the guy before letting him catch it for a major gain taught by the defensive coaches nowdays? I think its only a 15 yd., or half distance to goal penalty now days in HS, and college.

We let Woods do this probably 15+ times in the last 2 years under Bennett. He's supposedly a great defensive coach.

Sorry, to go off subject, but it's LITTLE things like that, that make me question Bennett as head coach?
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football