PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

c-usa expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

c-usa expansion

Postby fan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:46 pm

Well, now that it seems like the Frogs have gone who do you think C-USA should invite. I had mentioned earlier that if TCU did leave then having Army and Navy split a position in the C-USA east would be a perfect fit. Another consideration would be Florida A&M. They are going to D-1A I think in two years. Located in Tallahassee would be a good travel partner for C. FLA and a good match for our "southern" conference. Will do some research on the enrollment etc. Personally against La Tech. They really add nothing to the mix. Florida A&M would at least draw some media interst.
fan
Varsity

Re: c-usa expansion

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:43 pm

It really will be interesting, considering SMU and the other newcomers will not have a vote on this. The nucleus of CUSA, being So Miss, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, UAB and ECU should/will decide this issue and I would imagine the other departing members will abstain or vote with the majority to make it happen. I would expect UTEP, UNT, La Tech and Temple to all get consideration. Troy St might even get a look, but I doubt Fla A&M will get any attention because they are just now moving up to I-A. Have to admit, I'm not sure about their facilities and overall athletic program, so who knows? We just need to hope a decision is made quickly so CUSA will have 12 members when we enter in 2005-6. I know others would include MAC teams on the list of candidates, but I don't see any of them wanting to leave what they have established.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:37 am

I bet the bid ends up going to LaTech, and LaTech would jump at it if it's offered.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PortlandPonys » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:05 am

One of these 5 will get the bid. Temple, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, La Tech, or UTEP, and I would not be suprised if the decision has not allready been made.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:09 am

this article surprised me a bit...suggesting that the newcomers to CUSA will have an "equal say" as to who the 12th member might be. If Miami-Ohio could be wooed away from the MAC, they should be the 1st target as geographically they're a pretty good fit with the eastern schools (good travel partner for Marshall). Bringing them in would allow USM to replace TCU in the west. That keeps Tulane's closest rival in their division and really makes CUSA-west stronger than it would be with TCU.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/katzword.html
Charleston Pony

Postby PortlandPonys » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:21 am

Miami is a good prospect and is probably concerned about the long term viability of the MAC with several schools possibly dropping to 1-AA with the new attendance rules. That very reason is why Toledo has suddenly entered the picture in a strong way. It has also been reported that UTEP has quietly made a very strong pitch to be the 12th member. Right now I just don't see LaTech as the front runner, they are probably third or fourth on the list.

I would almost like to see C-USA go to 14 teams with Toledo, and Miami in the east, and UTEP in the west with USM switching to the west as CP noted above.

Either way we should know something in the next few weeks.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby Cheesesteak » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:30 am

Any fresh news about Army and Navy sharing the 12th spot?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:58 am

Army and Navy could not share the 12th spot, because that would not qualify the conference for a championship game. But they would be affiliated with the conference and play 4 conference games each, and if they became Bowl eligible they would be a candidate for one of the non-champion slots. I'm sure they are waiting to see who we add before making a final decision. My feelings are that Toledo, Temple or UTEP would be the strongest choices. I would like UTEP, because they travel well and I personally have enjoyed having them in the same conference. They would at least help give the feel of having an SWC lite for the Southern Division. Otherwise, I would go for Toledo. Strong program with a history with Marshall. My only concern and it probably shouldn't be one is that I kind of like the MAC the way it is, a Northern Midwest Region conference and there are some long established rivalries there. BG, Miami, Toledo, No. Ill., E. Mich. The WAC has already been affected and moving one more team from the WAC east, UTEP or La. Tech would help its stability in my view. Temple is intriquing because it has pretty good basketball and it is in a major market, Philly. That is a good reason to give it a chance to make a pitch if it wants to join.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby fan » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:19 pm

How do we know that having Army and Navy Share the 12th spot would not qualify for a championship game? Seems to me C-USA could set up its scheduling rules however they want as long as Army and Navy are part of the conference.
fan
Varsity

Postby LATech » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:53 pm

DallasDiehard:
I bet the bid ends up going to LaTech, and LaTech would jump at it if it's offered.
We definitely want that bid, DD. Louisiana Tech fans love watching our teams play in Dallas,Houston,Tulsa,... The trips are short (many of us already live there) and the opponents are similarly competitive.

Tech fans certainly can't travel to Hawaii, Fresno, Boise, San Jose, & Reno as easily over a weekend.

LA Tech
LATech
Scout Team

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:09 am

I vote for La Tech. It makes since for Louisana to have two teams in the Western Division.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:15 pm

I vote for UTEP. I have enjoyed our games with UTEP more than our games with La Tech. UTEP brings more fans, they always bring their band and cheerleaders. They perform at half time. They have better facilities. They have good prospects with Price coaching football. They want the bid in the worst way. Probably because they do not want to be in the same conference with NMSU and they see C-USA as a step up. Plus it gives them a better opportunity to recruit in Texas. They have been Div. 1A longer. They have more bowl games/wins and more NCAA appearances/championships. And they have more influence over the Sun Bowl than Tech has over the Indy Bowl.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:49 pm

We should do something more eastern - Temple or Miami Ohio - if we get Miami, the league is better off then with TCU/ Better eastern coverage football wise, better team in general, moves Southern miss to our side of the ledger, and the TV bet TCU just made comes up snakeeyes.
gostangs

Postby WildHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:46 am

Originally posted by PortlandPonys:
One of these 5 will get the bid. Temple, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, La Tech, or UTEP, and I would not be suprised if the decision has not allready been made.
At first glance, my reaction to that list is "it's got to be Miami-Ohio" since they had such a tremendous football season up there this year. They seem like a great way to get conference games noticed, if they can maintain their success (which of course is no guarantee with the loss of QB Ben Rothlisberger, or however you spell that name).

But then again, I've also kept a wary eye on the recruits that Mike Price is collecting at UTEP, and I think he really might be sitting on a program that could seriously break out in a couple of years. And the basketball team is really going to make a lot of noise in a year or two, with the quality of (JUCO) players they've been recruiting. So despite the fact that El Paso is right near the very end of the earth, and the fact that it's not the most exciting city in the world, the Miners might not be a bad school to add.

However, with all that said, I still want LaTech to get the bid, because it would be the easiest of the three to get to for games.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:51 am

And when he committed to SMU, there were some reports here that Miami-Ohio really rolled out the red carpet for Kyle Griffin, the DE from Colleyville. How amped up would that guy be against Miami-O? First three-sack game of his career?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Next

Return to Football