PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

c-usa expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: c-usa expansion

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:45 am

I think UTEP would be a mistake. La Tech would be a better choice as their football and basketball programs have been better over the past several seasons, and you can bus to the game and save travel costs. UTEP is way out there. I like the idea of adding Miami (Ohio). They have competed in football and basketball over the past few years, and adding them won't hurt SMU's ability to recruit. IF CUSA goes to 14 teams, I could see Toledo and LA Tech joining as well.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:08 pm

I think that any team west of the Mississippi is a mistake (nothing against La Tech, but a ranked MAC school would be very nice)
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:41 pm

IMO, Miami (Ohio) would be a step up from TCU. This past season they were probably the best non-BCS team in football and they have always had a good bball squad.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Dooby » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:46 pm

As I have said several times, it is just inconceivable to me that Miami(Ohio) would leave the MAC. The connections the Ohio MAC schools have are so intertwined, I just don't believe Miami would ever leave.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The Brown Hornet » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:58 pm

Originally posted by Dooby:
As I have said several times, it is just inconceivable to me that Miami(Ohio) would leave the MAC. The connections the Ohio MAC schools have are so intertwined, I just don't believe Miami would ever leave.
Finally, somebody on this board speaks the truth. Miami (OH) joining C-USA would be as good of a move as TCU joining the MWC. Actually, for Miami (OH) it would be a step down in conference affiliation, at least based upon last year's football success in the MAC.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:41 pm

I agree. Kent State, Bowling Green, Miami and Toledo are joined at the hip. CUSA can't add four. I just don't see them coming to CUSA. The only reason any teams would leave the MAC is out of fear of the 15,000 rule taking out some teams. Candidates would be Kent State, Buffalo, Western Michigan. But again, unless Kent State said it was okay, I don't see the other three leaving them behind. So, realistically the options are: Temple, UTEP, and La. Tech. Theoretically, others include, Troy State, Middle Tennesse State, ULL, ULM and Arkansas State. I don't see those as options. Remember the minimum number for a championship game is 12.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dooby » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:50 pm

I think you have to add North Texas to the list of possibilities. Fundamentally, I see little difference between La. Tech and North Texas. I prefer N. Texas to UTEP. El Paso is too far in my opinion.

<small>[ 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Dooby ]</small>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:08 pm

I think we hit Temple hard. The east coast media connections would help, and adding a deal with Army and Navy would also help attendance and visibility.

Nothing against UTEP, UNT or LATech, but Temple would really help out the league the most, if no MAC team decides to jump.

<small>[ 01-26-2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Greenwich Pony ]</small>
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:23 pm

Boy, somewhere a little green antenna is receiving a signal because someone mentioned NTSU on PF.com. I have a feeling there's a lenghty "we belong" response soon to follow.....great.

LA_Mustang

Postby UNTLifer » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:02 pm

Here's your UNT response.

Temple: Great basketball, but they have been considering dropping down to 1AA in football. Speaking from experience, this isn't a good sign.

UTEP: Could be a great addition other than location. FB has struggled lately, but the hiring of Price could turn things around, and they may want to recruit Texas better. Seems to me the majority of their team is from El Paso west. BB is on the rise with a good coach. They want to distance themselves from NMSU from the comments I've read. Great attendance in both sports. They do not have any pull with the Sun Bowl game.

La. Tech: Other than the occassional upset, their FB team is fair, not great not bad. Women's basketball is what they are known for. Attendance is nothing special, especially if you subtract the Miami game in Shreveport. Location is horrible for most of CUSA, and Ruston is not easy to get to. Small media market.

UNT: FB team has greatly improved the last 3 years. New athletic facility going up with plans for a future stadium. Large enrollment/alumni base. Major media market. Near major airport = easy to get to. Bball team hasn't done well lately, but is starting to play better, at least for this year. Very good Bball facility. Attendance in all sports needs improvement. Football stadium is poor, but as I stated earlier, plans are being made to construct a new one.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind some of the realignment decisions. TCU to the MWC could be a financial nightmare. UTEP moving to a more eastern conference doesn't make sense, but I think they are the favorite to get the CUSA invite. I do believe that if this happens, La. Tech will leave the WAC and rejoin the Sunbelt for financial reasons. This will not be a positive move with their alumni, but from what I have read, I don't believe they can afford to lose any more money. Not sure if you wanted to hear this from a UNT fan, but this seems to be the popular opinion out there.

Personally, I would love to see UNT invited to CUSA.
UNTLifer

Postby MeanGreenGem » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
Boy, somewhere a little green antenna is receiving a signal because someone mentioned NTSU on PF.com. I have a feeling there's a lenghty "we belong" response soon to follow.....great.
Well, since you did mention greeeeeeeen antennas! }:>)

Seriously, not going to belabor this or go into a long-winded hand-written oratory, but UNT will give you what TCU doesn't seem to want to give you and that is respect . Do we like SMU? No...Just like yall didn't like Texas/TAMU/TTech, etc., etc., etc...

Do we respect SMU? Yes...After all, we live and work in the same general work force area as you and (matter of fact)I just had lunch with a collegue of mine who just happens to have her Bachelor's from SMU.

Of course (as you predicted) this will bring out a barrage of posts from the red/blue's and other green/whites, but the fact of the matter is SMU and UNT do have a damn good chance to make TCU and the Mountain West Conference take seat #3 behind the Big 12 and CUSA among the Metroplex media-types only if we combine our constituencies; otherwise, I am afraid our 2 schools may share seat #3

<small>[ 01-26-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: MeanGreenGem ]</small>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:54 pm

UNT Lifer, I appreciate your sensible input about the prospects of different schools for membership in the C-USA. I don't think UNT has much chance of joining with us, but if you do get it that's OK with me. As I have already written, I favor La Tech because of time zone and geographical convenience. UTEP is too distant for us. I hope this gets settled soon. :roll:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:23 pm

Dooby, I place the blame squarely on your shoulders.

LA_Mustang

Postby LATech » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:28 pm

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
You called it, LA_Mustang. And in a nanosecond it was delivered. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LATech
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:56 pm

Can’t take too much credit. That was pretty predictable.

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football