PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Club "Signing Day" Celebration

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustang Club "Signing Day" Celebration

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:52 am

....Wednesday, 2/4, 5:30 pm, @ The Mercury Grill (oh, how refined...how 'bout a sports bar..!!), will this be attended by Bennett? Coaches?? Will there be much to cheer about? Will we be allowed to "celebrate" at The Mercury? "Lovey, my god, SMU has signed a big lineman, here, here..." BEAT UTEP!!
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Re: Mustang Club "Signing Day" Celebration

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:06 am

Mercury Grill is owned by SMU alumnus Chris Ward-I highly recommend it.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:12 am

..I HIGHLY recommend it , too!!!! Chris Ward is an old pal from SMU days..but, to celebrate my 40th. bday..YES!, 10th. wedding ann. dinner..YES!..Businees dinner with key clients..RIGHT ON!! But, to celebrate SMU's recruiting class???? Funny times on the Hilltop these days....
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:49 am

hate to agree with high - flutin - but you are right - its a great restaurant (also partially owned by SMU alum - Ray Washburne) - but we need a dive for these kind of deals -
gostangs

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:22 am

...a nice sports bar. An upscale sports bar / grill type place...good food, pool table or two, or three, a few TV's scattered around..a place to let your hair down, have fun, get to know some fellow Mustangs, and CELEBRATE our success.....St. Pete's Dancing Marlin comes to mind...a private area at D&B's...The Mercury??..and we wonder why SMU has its reputation.....
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:30 am

WOW.. I think I should wear my good suit to this one. Ha Ha

There is a nice bar area up front. If a lot of people come... The place will be packed just for this party.

See everyone there!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Eddie P » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:40 pm

Preston and Forest. I don't see what the big deal is at having this event here. Why someone wants to have this at some place like the Green Elephant or the Cavern eludes me entirely. What's wrong with going to a nice place?

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:08 pm

...maybe you can play some video golf while at The Mercury...
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby Stampede » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:14 pm

Get on your high horse and get to the Mercury. It is a part of our corporate sponsors< the M Crowd restuarants, and they wanted to host the celebration. This is a really good recruiting class and the Mercury has a new "back room" to host events. Yes the coaches will be there with hihglight films in tow.

It is "fan"tastic to be connected with Mico and the M Crowd!! Get on your high horse and enjoy the ride at the Mercury. Can't wait.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby DomerPony » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:06 am

No offense to The Mercury, a great place, but...

why not the Stadium Club? Last year's event was very good.
DomerPony
Recruit

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:56 am

What a bunch of crap. Last year the recruiting event was at the stadium. SMU had a nice set up and I believe it started later than 5:30 so people who worked could attend. This year they have it at some restaurant at 5:30 where they will try to make a buck with a dinner. How can I get off work to make an event at 5:30? I cannot! I guess SMU is trying to alienate all of their fans. The last time I checked I believe I was one of only a handful of fans that attended the home games. What do I get for it? A big screw you from the team. Thanks guys. Remember, most of us work for a living and cannot make events at 5:30 on weekdays.
Johnny Rock

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:17 am

what they really need to do is burn at DVD of the highlites of the recruiting class and sell it-this is being done by many schools. Isn't this pretty technologically easy and cheap?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Dooby » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:23 am

I swear, people like to [deleted]. If you give a man in the desert a glass of water, he'll [deleted] about not having ice.

I went last year, wasn't there a problem with serving alcohol at the event? Didn't everybody have to fill out some form or somesuch to get a "membership" to buy a drink to comply with the City of University Park's law. I got fed up and never got anything, plus I had to leave early anyway.

We like to gripe about the lack of support or boosters for this program, and now we are griping that some alumni who own a restaurant group that supports SMU athletics have offered one of the restaurants for an athletic event. This is genius. Why don't you kick Gerald Ford in the groin next time you get the chance.

Before you complain about not getting an event at the Stadium Club or about the time it started, you should have gone to Bennett's recruiting update last week. That event was at the stadium club and started at 7AM and was over with plenty of time to get to work.

Johnny Rock, I sure hope you come. Please introduce yourself so I can personally walk you up to Coach Bennett so that you can "remind him that he forgot to sign a defensive lineman."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:07 am

he didn't forget he just got outrecruited at DLM. We need athletes at positions other than CB, RB and WR you know.

Stallion

Postby PK » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:27 am

Gee Johnny, I didn't know you had such an important job...it's hard to believe you can find time during the day to post here. I'm going to take an hour of paid time off or work an extra hour another day so I can leave a little early to get there on time. It's a sacrifice but I'm willing to do it. If your worried someone is going to try to make you buy a dinner there, just bring a sandwich with you if you can't wait until you get home.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Next

Return to Football