PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sleepy Morgan Campaign

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sleepy Morgan Campaign

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:52 pm

As a worker for the Morgan Campaign I am very happy with the response that I am getting this year.

I would estimate that the new BUCKET OF OATS program has some boosters pretty happy. I also think that showing the business numbers for athletics shows just what SMU deals with as it compares to other universities.

For the past two weeks I have made my calls and would estimate that 40 percent of my donors have increased the amount by the "asked for" 10 percent.

Call 214-906-2706 if you are not already a member and I will get you signed up. If you are... THANKS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sleepy Morgan Campaign

Postby dandyfan » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:53 am

Where could we find more info on the Sleepy Morgan Campaign?
dandyfan

Postby PK » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:12 am

Originally posted by dandyfan:
Where could we find more info on the Sleepy Morgan Campaign?
http://www.smumustangs.com/mustangclub/morgan.asp
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:04 pm

From the website:

"The time-intensive volunteer solicitation process used in the Morgan Campaign offers much of the support that allows SMU Athletics to continue it programs at an impressive level."

Impressive?!

What about the Sleepy Copeland Campaign?
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby PK » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:46 pm

It is impressive considering the lack of financial support from SMU alums in general. Our athletic budget ($18.3 million) pales in comparison to BCS schools like Southern Cal ($42.7 million), Notre Dame ($38.5 million) and Duke ($32.1 million). We have to work hard to even raise our paltry goal of $1.07 million from Mustang Club membership.

In order to compete, we have to provide the funds necessary from increased donations from our alums and fans. Obviously the BCS schools are aided greatly by the BCS television money, which is why the BCS is so patently unfair to the other conferences.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:55 pm

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. IMHO, there is nothing impressive about SMU athletics at this point in time. Ford is nice, I will give you that. But the product on the field, the way the Athletic Department is run, some of the decisions that are made (or not made) is not impressive. It is pathetic. "The Commitment" is/was a joke. Commitment to what?

What is impressive is that fans and alums still care. Well, at least some of the fans and alums still care.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby Uncle Morty » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:02 pm

Speaking of the Commitment, wasnt the Mustang Club goal supposed to be up to 2 million+ per year by now? If its down to 1.07 mil, its going the wrong direction.
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby PK » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:39 pm

The $1.07 million is the goal for the Mustang Club volunteers to raise...the remainder of the $2 million is the AD and his department's goal. We the volunteers would love to exceed that goal, but have to fight the attitude of fans that say the results have to show before the money needed to get those results will be donated. It is a catch 22 attitude.
PK

Postby PK » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:05 pm

My previous post was somewhat off the top of my head. The Mustang Club goal is 1.7 million of which 1.07 is the goal for the Morgan Fund Drive volunteers. I am not sure what the AD's department goal is and it may be more or less than the 2 million I said above.
PK

Postby Uncle Morty » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:18 pm

1.7 is a bit closer to what I would have expected, thanks.
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Return to Football