PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D. Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

D. Line

Postby 91Stang » Wed May 31, 2000 11:21 am

Which would you rather have in your defensive front four -- speed or size? For my money (keep in mind. I am not a coach, and my only experience as a football player was as a kicker/punter), I'd rather see a line of huge guys, even if they can't move. If we were to trot out a line of guys who looked like Michael Carter, Jerry Ball, Louie Kelcher, etc., I don't think it would matter if they were slow. You can't run through a line if you can't move them enough to create a running lane.

Agree?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Re: D. Line

Postby dmerritt » Wed May 31, 2000 2:35 pm

From my experience as a d-lineman, I believe the most important quality to have would be size, but players like Jerry Ball and Michael Carter had the best of both worlds, speed and size. In some cases it does not matter how quick you are as a d-lineman, because many of the top offensive lineman are just as fast and bigger. When you are playing against the top tier teams like UT, ARK, and A&M the offensive lineman are big and quick. At least when you have some size you can plug the hole you are assigned and maybe use your size to get some movement.
Dan Merritt
dmerritt

Re: D. Line

Postby THE ROCK » Wed May 31, 2000 4:35 pm

THE ROCK SAYS...

<FONT face="Georgia">I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU GUYS. I THINK, AT LEAST FOR THE FRONT FOUR, SIZE IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT. OBVIOUSLY, YOU WOULD LOVE TO HAVE BOTH SIZE AND SPEED, BUT THAT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT OFTEN, EXSPECIALLY NOT HERE. I THINK GUYS LIKE CHASE SCHAVRDA ARE VERY VALUABLE FOR THEIR SPEED, AGILITY, AND LEADERSHIP, BUT IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO HAVE GUYS LIKE LUTE CROY WHO, AT 300 LBS, CAN PLUG A GAP EVEN IF HE IS NOT MAKING A WHOLE BUNCH OF TACKLES.</FONT f>

------------------
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Return to Football