PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Redshirts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Redshirts

Postby MustangFan » Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:11 pm

Who did we have redshirt this year? And what can we expect from them next year?

From what I remember, here's who we should add next season:
Rico Harris
D.D. Lee
Melvin Williams
Allen Adami
Clay Glockzin
Wesley Medlock
Darron Brown

Any others?
MustangFan
All-American

Re: Redshirts

Postby ponybrit » Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:30 pm

Chris Godfrey, FS also Redshirted this year.
ponybrit

Postby ponytalk » Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:56 pm

Here are my opinions

Rico Harris: Will be like Raymon Brown, but won't break out until his jr. year.

DD Lee: Solid hard hitting player but was injured this year and wont make an impact for another two years

Melvin Williams: SO far looks like the best player in that class. He has hustle and lots of room to grow. He will be really good, just needs experience and size improvement

Adami: Has gotten a little bigger since he got here. I don't think he will be anything really special. I wish he was his brother's size and he could play OL, but he will always probably be a backup DE.

Glockzin: Big guy, hopefully he will come around because he could impact this team.

Medlock: Not anything special

Brown: Have heard good things about him but have not seen him do anything

Godfrey: Special teams player that might be a DB late in his career here.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 11-18-2001).]
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:26 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Isn't Medlock the guy who predicted he'd be the next DB (after Charles Woodson) to win the Heisman Trophy?

I hear nothing but good reports on Melvin Williams. He's supposed to be very quick and incredibly strong for his size (6-1, 205). Any word if he has put on any weight?

Rico Harris: Another Raymon Brown would be a welcome addition.

I've heard D.D. Lee called Jason Simonton with some speed. Let's hope he recovers fully from that injury.

Adami and Glockzin are not showing much, from what I hear.

An assistant coach told me he thinks Darron Brown will be the best player to come out of that class, but said he redshirted this year because he showed up in very poor shape, having not run at all over the summer. Hope he's learned his lesson and comes in challenging Kris Briggs and Keylon Kincade.

[This message has been edited by Corso (edited 12-18-2000).]
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby 91Stang » Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:27 pm

What about Townsend Hargis?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 18, 2000 10:59 pm

Yes, let's not forget Hargis. Let's hope he can contribute next year since OL has so little depth. What about the LB from New Mexico?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Recruiting Guru » Tue Dec 26, 2000 6:02 pm

Good point -- the LB from New Mexico is Derek Swofford. He's 6-4, 235 and supposed to have nice speed. From what I hear, he's a little stiff, needs to get lower to the ground. But he was a solid player in practice, a strong hitter and an enthusiastic member of the team, dressing out for every game. He and D.D. Lee could be a nice addition to the Ponies' group of linebackers next year.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Texastang » Wed Dec 27, 2000 4:29 pm

There were some comments about the redshirts that held some truth, and there were others that were way off the map. Keep in mind that these redshirts were on the scout team, and were not competing for a starting position. From an ex-players experience, these redshrits know, or should know that they will not be earning any letter jackets running cards at practice. I also want to mention that during there redshirt year many of the players are playing out of position due to the lack of numbers that are available to run a scout team. Their time will come during spring ball, and it is my opinion that many of these young guys will make a name for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 12-27-2000).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby SMU00 » Fri Dec 29, 2000 12:09 pm

Interesting insight, TexasStang. Had no idea we ran players out of position with the scout team. Is that how some kids end up switching positions - Because they do well at a new position?

Thanks for the input. Always glad to read players' opinions. (Get all your former teammates to sign up on PonyFans.com so we can benefit from all your experiences!)
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPower » Sat Dec 30, 2000 5:00 pm

DGlock: I agree with you. I don't know if ponytalk knows players personally, or is simply reporting rumor and second-hand information. But I, like you, think we should give a player the benefit of the doubt, especially since we haven't yet had a chance to see those players on the field yet. For what it's worth, I have a friend who knows (defensive line) coach Oscar Giles, and he says Coach Giles has nothing but prise for both Clay and Allen. Since Coach Giles was a star player at UT and played professionally before getting into coaching, I'll trust his judgement. Don't get frustrated - we're all pulling for Clay and Allen.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Sat Dec 30, 2000 8:21 pm

DGlock-
I am in no way trying to offend anyone. I apologize for offending anyone. You must understand, these were my opinions and I stated that. I am not trying to defame anyone. My comment about Adami was simply based around the fact that we need Olinemen and his brother was a great one and I wish we had more like him. I am Allen and Clay are great guys, otherwise they would not be at SMU.

I don't want to "meet and discuss someone's worth" with anyone, that is a poor solution. I hope both Allen and Clay prove me wrong and prove me wrong bad. I have just seen too many talented players come through here and not contribute like they should, I don't want that to happen anymore.

Once again, please accept my apology, these were merely opinions and mine is not worth anything.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyGirl » Sun Dec 31, 2000 9:27 pm

Let's not get too bent out of shape here. The great thing here is that everyone has the right to an opinion, and that includes the right to be dead wrong. I sure am, sometimes....

Besides, this board is so much more supportive and constructive than the other one. This is a board of people who genuinely want to see all Mustangs succeed.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 01, 2001 11:22 am

On that note, let's work together to make SMU #1. The redshirts certainly need the support and encouragement from fans in order to keep their faith in the team.

Go Mustangs!

Postby PonyGirl » Mon Jan 01, 2001 7:37 pm

You've got a deal, DGlock. We're all pulling for the Ponies together.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby mustangs2001 » Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:49 pm

Last season is over, 2001 is here and its great to start talking about the new season ahead, especially the redshirts and experienced players. Most new recruits will not be an impact for 1-2 years. What walk-on redshirts from last season offer some promise? We've heard about the logical scholarship redshirts, but what else do we have? Did we have any redshirts from this year that played or dressed out? As I watch the bowl games, there are many suprise walk-ons that are mentioned and are impact players. We do not hear much about this at SMU. Hopefully, we will have a few suprises and some team leaders for 2001 season.I believe SMU has the talent, once they begin to believe in themselves and the program. All of these kids are winners, they just need to get to know each other and believe in each other like a family. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyPower:
<B>DGlock: I agree with you. I don't know if ponytalk knows players personally, or is simply reporting rumor and second-hand information. But I, like you, think we should give a player the benefit of the doubt, especially since we haven't yet had a chance to see those players on the field yet. For what it's worth, I have a friend who knows (defensive line) coach Oscar Giles, and he says Coach Giles has nothing but prise for both Clay and Allen. Since Coach Giles was a star player at UT and played professionally before getting into coaching, I'll trust his judgement. Don't get frustrated - we're all pulling for Clay and Allen.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
mustangs2001

Return to Football