PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tate Wallis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tate Wallis

Postby Diehard Pony » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:38 pm

I heard today from someone I know on the Athletics Council that Tate Wallis is planning to transfer to McNeese State.

My apologies if someone has previously posted this.

Tate, please think about what you are going to do when you graduate. An SMU diploma, along with SMU connections will get you substantially farther than something that says McNeese State on it.

But, if you must go, good luck to you and thanks for your gutty performances as a Pony.

<small>[ 01-30-2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: Tate Wallis

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:10 pm

Don't knock the Cowboys of McNeese State in Lake Charles, LA so quickly, my friend. They consistently rank as the #1 team in the Southland Conference and have made it to the playoffs numerous times over the years. The last time they tied for first place in the SLC was in 2001 when former SMU QB Josh McCown was at Sam Houston State and took the Bearkats to the playoffs instead. If he's dropping down to a Div.1-AA school to get more exposure for the pros, he could do worse! The SLC is going to be a hotbed of activity this season. TWO Big 12 QBs have transferred to Sam Houston State (Dustin Long of Texas A&M and Noah Allen of OU) and another A&M player has transferred to Stephen F. Austin State in Nacogdoches, TX. Keep an eye on the SLC this year, my friends! It's gonna be a helluva ride! Best wishes to Tate if he is transferring to McNeese State. I'd hate to lose him at SMU.

Just wondering: would this news have anything to do with the intramurals incident that Wallis and former SMU QB Richard Bartel were involved in that lead to Bartel's dismissal as the starting QB for the Mustangs? :hmm:

<small>[ 01-30-2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponybutt » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:39 pm

I believe he was saying a DIPLOMA from SMU was important, not who won a Div II title...sheesh!!!!
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:28 am

Well, he's still on the roster at smumustangs.com so I guess it hasn't happened yet. He obviously isn't going to have a shot at QB and if that's what he wants, he needs to be looking at I-AA schools. You're right, though...if he is thinking about life after football, he'd be wise to stay and graduate in Dallas. Wallis strikes me as a good enough athlete that he can contribute as a pass catching TE or possibly even as a LB or at least on special teams. Oh well, he's young and you've got to do what makes you happy. He'll only get one chance to be this age.
Charleston Pony

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:54 am

It's understandable that he wants to play FB not sit the bench. He is at best 3rd/4th string now at QB.

I hope he stays as a team leader, but again, it's understandable if he wants a chance at playing time.

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
Well, he's still on the roster at smumustangs.com so I guess it hasn't happened yet. He obviously isn't going to have a shot at QB and if that's what he wants, he needs to be looking at I-AA schools. You're right, though...if he is thinking about life after football, he'd be wise to stay and graduate in Dallas. Wallis strikes me as a good enough athlete that he can contribute as a pass catching TE or possibly even as a LB or at least on special teams. Oh well, he's young and you've got to do what makes you happy. He'll only get one chance to be this age.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:12 am

Yeah, I think the initial statement was about the academic differences between the schools, not the athletic differences. I'm with Diehard on this one: I really hope Tate stays at SMU. He seems like a fantastic young man and I want nothing but the best for him. I don't know if this is true about a potential transfer, but he's as couragous a Mustang as I can recall in recent years. How many times did we watch him stand in there and get crunched as he threw a pass, or lower his shoulder and plow into a pile of defensive players when there simply wasn't a lane to run through? And I can't remember a single time when he had to be helped off the field, or didn't get back up after a hit. Count me among those who think he has the strength, size and heart to be a solid tight end, linebacker or even a great fullback (if Coach Burns is going to use a FB in his offense). Tate Wallis, in my book, is one tough SOB, and whether he graduates from SMU or McNeese State or Harvard or DeVry, will always be one of my favorite Mustangs.

<small>[ 01-31-2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Lefty ]</small>
Lefty
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:43 pm

While I personally hope I never, ever see Wallis play QB again, I was really hoping to see him contribute at another position for us. He's a good athlete, and I like his competitiveness. Kicking the Nevada guy in the face was a dumb move, of course, but it revealed a mile-wide nasty streak. Bennett rightfully benched him for it, but I wouldn't mind seeing that mentality rub off on some other players (minus the penalties).

If this is indeed true, I wish him luck at McNeese. My brother played a game there in the 1-AA playoffs a few years back, and he says to this day that, per capita, McNeese stadium has the greatest (i.e. most hostile) gameday atmosphere in the land. Those Cowboy fans are serious down there.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Fresh » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:30 pm

Ditto - if he is in fact leaving, best of luck. But I love Lefty's idea of making him a fullback. The kid is tough as nails and absolutely fearless, and while he's strong now, he looks like he easily could get bigger. And all those years at QB and playing baseball make me think he could catch the ball out of the backfield, too. I bet there's a really good fullback inside that guy, trying to get out. I just wish he would consider it here, because it's hard not to root for Tate.

With that said, if he does go to McNeese State, best of luck in the future.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:10 pm

Originally posted by ponybutt:
I believe he was saying a DIPLOMA from SMU was important, not who won a Div II title...sheesh!!!!
Ponybutt: EXCUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE ME! And McNeese State is a Div.1-AA team, not a Div.II...sheesh! ;)
MrMustang1965

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:27 pm

Good luck Tate,I hope you find happiness with your new team. This news does not suprise me. It falls right in line with what my opion of players is/are whatever. You can take the player out of the position but you can not take position out of the player. This is ture for any position. Its a recruiting flaw. stacking up on to many players of the same age at the same position and then promising playing time at a different position while the latest pick gets a short stent and then is benched and then moved to another position and ask to develope there in the name of building a team. The recruits of these other positions resent this more than anything but have to keep quite about it. I believe that the majority, if not all of the players on scholarship could care less about the diploma that they would get at the school there playing for. These guys have been playing this game ever since they were youngsters and they want to play and have fun. Getting a diploma is maybe third or even further down list of things that they want to achieve at this age. I bet if someone really researched each one of them they would find that they have always played in the position they were recruited at except the ones who were promoted up in position. Looking at the roster it appears that this condition is going to affect SMU's football program for awhile to come still yet. It's dog eat dog at SMU right know. Phillps is in the same position that Bartel found himself in at the end of the 2002 season and the other QB's got the big eyeball on his position. Theres no space between these players. no room to grow only start or move to some other position. Its not good. To all players! don't change who you are. Find a place where you are accepted and enjoy your youth.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby fbdad » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Relative-stang..please stop making assumptions as to the other players whether on the field talent and/or the individual player aspirations as to being the next Josh to the pros or more logically, a lifelong career in whatever they chose and excell at while pursuing their degrees.It's time for them to get out of the "play" mode(Pop Warner through HS) and concentrate on their futures. You'd be surprised at the number of current players that are doing just that.They know their chances at the pro's is almost impossible even if they feel they are truly Gods gift to football. A majority of the players chose SMU because of the level of education that they would receive. It is not an easy school to attend as far as classes go. The academic attrition gets rid of those that still want to "play" and have fun as you put it.My observations of a scholarship "ride" at SMU indicate a lot of hard work,dedication and little play. Good luck to your son at his new school.
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:02 pm

Sir, I did say that that this was my opion so you may vary well be right and I could be wrong. As to they're futures, well We all live in America and the future is bright in whatever path they take. I dissagree with the thought that HS football is play time. I believe that Tate thinks he is making a business decision with his future at stake. oops! the bowl is coming on I gotta cut out. Thank for the shout out for Mark.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:14 pm

Relative-Stang- hands down, the worst grammar and spelling I've ever seen on this board. Vary, vary bad. I hope it works out for Tate. He might turn out to be a decent I-AA quarterback.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:11 pm

I've been away from the board for a while, so I hadn't heard Wallis is leaving. That's a shame, because I always thought he showed a lot of heart. Good luck to a tough young man.
Hal
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:43 pm

Why would he do that? It makes no sense - if he totaled the likely difference in total comp he would make over his career with an SMU degree over a McNeese degree, it would be astronomical. Josh was clearly a talented QB - Wallis is talented, it just does not happen to be a QB, and McNeese is not going to change that

- Advice to Tate - stay - play football a the best postion for your talents, get a valuable degree, and oh yeah, there are some co-eds out there that still need to meet you.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football