PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA Divisions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CUSA Divisions

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:24 am

UTEP has great potential, good football & bball facilities, but they'd be all alone in the mountain time zone and would be 600 miles from their closest competitor. They'd be a good addition if they could bring the Sun Bowl, but I'm not sure that bowl is a good fit for anyone other than the CUSA west teams. Right now, I'd say New Orleans and Memphis are much more appealing bowl destinations.

I'm thinking in a 12 team conference, La Tech or UNT would be the best addition. If CUSA goes to 14, I like the MAC trifecta idea. Realistically, UTEP is a good fit in the WAC along with NMSU or in the MWC with the other mountain time zone schools.

<small>[ 02-14-2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: CUSA Divisions

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:24 am

i think i'll pass on utep...they're in the mountain zone & we need to go eastward where the media markets are.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:44 am

If UTEP were to become part of C-USA, they would be the Hawaii of C-USA without the ocean and hula skirts to help ease the travel expense hit for the eastern C-USA schools.
PK

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:23 pm

UTEP brings a decent crowd to away games. They bring their band to Dallas. Would SMU rather have 10,000 UTEP fans show up every other year, or Miami of Ohio every four years with 200-300 fans in tow?
EastStang

Postby PK » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:27 pm

I agree that from an SMU perspective UTEP is not a bad choice though I seriously doubt that they bring 10,000 fans to our games, but then UNT probably would be equally good from that stand point. However, from a C-USA perspective, UTEP really stretches the limits of travel distance for those teams on the eastern edge of the conference. When it is all said and done, it won't be up to SMU to make the decision and I think UTEP will be, much like Hawaii for us, considered to be too far west.
PK

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:05 pm

The attendance at the UTEP game was 20,000. Given the attendance at the Boise game of about 10,000, I figured we draw about 10,000 and the opponants draw the rest.
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:30 pm

the UTEP games was a huge give-away game-not that I'm complaining-but there were about 8,000 kids and their families filling the endzones.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:54 pm

I know this one hasn't even occurred to SMU fans, but Troy State is getting some support from the CUSA schools over that direction. Troy State was 6-6 while playing only 4 home games as a football independent last year and beat Marshall in one of their few home games. Their bball team has an RPI of 56 and leads the Atlantic Sun Conference. Being in south Alabama, they'd be as good a geographic fit as La Tech and might allow USM to join their nearby rival Tulane in the western division.

Assuming CUSA votes to stay at 12 members, I'm not sure how I feel about a La Tech vs Troy St comparison. I still like the idea of having as many close by opponents as possible and still lean towards La Tech, but admit I don't know much about Troy St.
Charleston Pony

Postby LATech » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:23 pm

UTEP "might" have brought 20 people to Louisiana when we've hosted them in football, basketball,... any sport. They certainly didn't bring the band.

I doubt Miners fans travel in decent numbers anywhere east of Dallas & Houston.
LATech
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football