PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA Divisions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA Divisions

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:14 pm

I am generally against 14 team Divisions but it is intriquing that if the Eastern schools want schools like Miami(ohio), Temple and Toledo-why not give them what they want because it would make our Division infinitely more desireable with SMU, Tulsa, Houston, USM, Tulane, Rice, and Memphis in the West. 6 Divisional games-2 cross-over games. These are really the only teams I'm really excited about playing and they could all be in our Division. Even Road Games would be easily accessible by a Saturday Morning plane trip on Southwest out of Love Field. We be splitting revenue 14 ways but its going to reduce our travel expenses-plus I think these schools could develop more natural rivalries. Plus the eastern side would broaden our penetration into some great TV Markets like Philadelphia and Ohio. Not sure if Temple would want its BB program in the Eastern Division though.

<small>[ 01-31-2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: CUSA Divisions

Postby CoxSMU » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:26 pm

These teams are also easy driving distances....Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, and Tulsa aren't bad drives at all...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:08 pm

I like the potential schools from the east better anyways. Would love to add Miami(Ohio). I think that would be an upgrade from TCU in football and basketball. Don't think they want to though.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:33 pm

Holy ****h we agree
Originally posted by Stallion:
I am generally against 14 team Divisions but it is intriquing that if the Eastern schools want schools like Miami(ohio), Temple and Toledo-why not give them what they want because it would make our Division infinitely more desireable with SMU, Tulsa, Houston, USM, Tulane, Rice, and Memphis in the West. 6 Divisional games-2 cross-over games. These are really the only teams I'm really excited about playing and they could all be in our Division. Even Road Games would be easily accessible by a Saturday Morning plane trip on Southwest out of Love Field. We be splitting revenue 14 ways but its going to reduce our travel expenses-plus I think these schools could develop more natural rivalries. Plus the eastern side would broaden our penetration into some great TV Markets like Philadelphia and Ohio. Not sure if Temple would want its BB program in the Eastern Division though.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby fan » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:45 pm

Was wondering about Stallion's take on the expansion situation. I would favor Temple as an expansion target for both basketball respect and TV money. I'd be interested to know what the "60 day play" the commish made mention of is a all about. 14 teams may be too many but at this point I think the eastern schools would want a closer travel partner. I'd be in favor of Temple over La Tech just for TV reasons.
fan
Varsity

Postby MizterTea » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:55 pm

Originally posted by Mike Damone:
I like the potential schools from the east better anyways. Would love to add Miami(Ohio). I think that would be an upgrade from TCU in football and basketball. Don't think they want to though.
I think that is anthoer reason that Stallion foo' suggested all three east teams coming in - Miami doesn't want to leave their conferece. But if the three best teams from the MAC are all invited and several others have attendance issues...
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:08 am

Assuming Temple will be content to remain in the A-10, would a 14 member CUSA be attractive if the 3 addt'l members all came from the MAC? Pick 3 from among Miami-Ohio, Toledo, BGSU & NIU and it's just possible you could lure them away from that conference. If one left, I expect 3 would leave out of self defense.

While I like the idea of USM and Memphis being in our division and playing only 2 cross-over games against the eastern teams in football, my guess is that most in CUSA will prefer the 12 school format and that La Tech will ultiately get the invite. That way, none of the other non-BCS are at risk of being destroyed by all this realignment.

Selfishly, with a chance of moving to N.C. in my future, I'm looking forward to seeing the Ponies play at ECU and I prefer a 12 school format that means SMU will make the trip to Greenville once every four years in football and every other year in bball.
Charleston Pony

Postby fan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:54 pm

some pretty intersting discussion on the C-USA message boards. seems like the general feeling is that c-usa should go to 14 teams for the main reason of killing off the MAC! some odd rationale that if the MAC is killed off (taking the cream from the MAC would leave only a few, if any, shcool capable of playing D-1 football due to attendance issues) and the MWC finished off the WAC then there would only be 8 d-1 football playing conferences. that essentially sets up an 8 team playoff and eliminates the BCS. not sure how to post a link but its at www.ncaabbs.com
fan
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Now THAT makes sense!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:12 pm

Nice thread, Stallion. Do you have any information that this is a real possibility?

The opportunity to pick up some combination of Miami (OH), Toledo, Temple, Bowling Green and/or NIU would justify 14 members and make the East solid. Two regions sharing a common goal, to be the best non-BCS conference there is.

I really like Miami (OH) but without other MAC members, they won't even think about it. If some did move, I expect the eastern Sunbelt and the remaining MAC to combine and the western Sunbelt to go and fill out the WAC. Therefore, the Sunbelt disappears. NT goes to WAC as an example.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:47 pm

Watching the CUSA game tonight on ESPN2...announcers commenting about how awkward (and inequitable) scheduling is in the 14 member CUSA. Everyone plays all 13 teams and then has 3 teams they play home/home. They tend to pit the top teams (Cincy, Louisville, Memphis) against each other so they have more TV opportunities.

Not sure how well the new CUSA would work with a 14 team bball schedule. If the MAC schools came on board I'm sure they would appreciate a Toledo/Miami-Ohio/BGSU/Marshall grouping and if we were aligned with Tulsa/Houston/Rice that wouldn't be too bad for SMU. That would leave the "southeastern group" to work out their pairings. It might be workable.

Another advantage to 14 members is the possibility CUSA would support more league championships (soccer? swimming?). I haven't checked, but it would be nice not to have to compete in different conferences in different sports.
Charleston Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:37 am

Isn's CUSA an all sports league as it stands? Every "conference" sport that we play would be covered under the CUSA umbrella.. mens soccer would leave the MVC and go to CUSA and men's swimming would drop independent status.
Correct?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby bluetiger » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:16 am

CUSA will be an all sports league when the changes take place.

Another idea being tossed around is offering 2 eastern schools and UTEP to make 14. I'm not sure how I feel about UTEP. Aren't they practically in New Mexico or something?

Being from Texas, how do y'all feel about that?

BTW, can't wait til 2005!
bluetiger

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:33 am

*just sighs* This is just makin me depressed for SMU football.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby The PonyGrad » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:46 am

Originally posted by bluetiger:
CUSA will be an all sports league when the changes take place.

Another idea being tossed around is offering 2 eastern schools and UTEP to make 14. I'm not sure how I feel about UTEP. Aren't they practically in New Mexico or something?

Being from Texas, how do y'all feel about that?

BTW, can't wait til 2005!
UTEP is in the Mountain time zone if that tells you anything.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Next

Return to Football