PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tony Eckert feature

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tony Eckert feature

Postby Tshoot » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:09 pm

Originally posted by PonyTales:
I'm eager to see how many of those yards he racked up at Tyler JC were the result of his receivers being fast, and how many were the result of him having a big arm. Which leads to: who is the last real deep-threat QB to play for the Ponies?
Actually he did have a couple fast recievers as do most teams. The problem was that the fastest one dropped a bunch of balls that hit him between the numbers and then he would make some outraegous one handed behind the back catch. His best reciever was short, quick and ran tight routes. His throwing lane opened and closed quick. The ball had to be there and it usually was. Eckert would have had more yards but the coach shut the passing game down as soon as TJC got any kind of lead. FYI eckert threw the ball 73 yards in the air in the summer between his junior and senior year in high school. Believe me, he has a deep ball.
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby Casey » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:06 pm

Are the players allowed to be digesting the playbook now? Or does the NCAA mandate that they can't even look at it until the start of spring workouts?
Just curious.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby giacfsp » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:10 pm

I think they can start studying it now.

And as to how Eckert's arm looks .... kind of reminds me of Brett Favre. No, he's not going to be launching the ball as far as Favre, but he has that same sort of slingshot motion when he throws, and it sure seemed (on the highlight film) to get there in a hurry.
giacfsp
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football