PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumors on CUSA candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rumors on CUSA candidates

Postby Water Pony » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:34 pm

This may be one of the first of many rumors on CUSA expansion and it suggests Toledo may be a candidate.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040203/SPORTS11/40203020/-1/SPORTS

Previously, Miami (OH),UTEP, La Tech, Temple and N. Texas were mentioned. However, I can't see Toledo doing anything by themselves.

Two or three MAC members might be appealing. With Marshall and Memphis needing soulmates, along with ECU, the idea of Miami (OH), Toledo and/or Bowling Green or NIU wouldn't be bad.

Or how about a North Texas and Northern Illinois combo; two emerging, large state schools in big markets?

There appears to be no general concensus for a particular school or strategy emerging. One could make a case for any one of the above and that is why going beyond 12 may appeal to CUSA decision makers, including the desire of having some affiliation with Navy and Army.

In the meantime, let's look forward to Spring practice which will include the new JUCOs. We have lots of work ahead of us. Go Mustangs!

:hmm:

<small>[ 02-04-2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Water Pony ]</small>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rumors on CUSA candidates

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:07 pm

If we got any of the MAC schools it would be incredible.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:58 pm

I'm beginning to warm to the idea of a 14 member CUSA of we could pull a trifecta and get Toledo, Miami-Ohio and Bowling Green. After all, this is football driven and all three of those programs have visited the top 25 in recent years.

Would be nice if that moved USM and Memphis into our division. The big issue would be whether CUSA could get enough bowl spots to keep 4-5 teams in bowls every year.
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:12 pm

would be possibly interesting if we teamed up with another conference thru some binding agreement for tv $$$ or playoff for the additional bcs-bs bowl or whatever...but then again....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....then we're giving in........forget it - its just time to sue the bastards & start all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:20 pm

Now you tell me, would a BG, Toledo, and Miami-Ohio trade for TCU be better for C-USA. I say yes.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:24 pm

I could only see MAC schools coming if it were 2 or 3 and those schools thought that there was an impending MAC meltdown due to attendance problems.

Having said that, adding 3 of the top MACs, or 2 of them plus Temple to make 14 makes a nice BBALL conference and could make CUSA-West more balanced moving USM and Memphis out west.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:26 pm

Originally posted by Navy&Crimson:
would be possibly interesting if we teamed up with another conference thru some binding agreement for tv $$$ or playoff for the additional bcs-bs bowl or whatever...but then again....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....then we're giving in........forget it - its just time to sue the bastards & start all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:
Yeah, I wish that president from Tulane would get some traction again. The BCS is KILLING div 1a football.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Southland » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of a 14 member CUSA of we could pull a trifecta and get Toledo, Miami-Ohio and Bowling Green. After all, this is football driven and all three of those programs have visited the top 25 in recent years.

Would be nice if that moved USM and Memphis into our division. The big issue would be whether CUSA could get enough bowl spots to keep 4-5 teams in bowls every year.
Whatever happens, CUSA must build equity in its line-up by neither altering it for a period of at least 5 years, nor having partial members at any time.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:19 pm

Posted by Southland:

"Whatever happens, CUSA must build equity in its line-up by neither altering it for a period of at least 5 years, nor having partial members at any time."

Excellent point and part of a successful sports business model.

<small>[ 02-05-2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Cheesesteak ]</small>
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:58 pm

2 Things,

1st what is wrong with this portion of the article?
"C-USA is a member of the Bowl Championship Series" (I wish)

2nd do we lose any bowl tie-ins from the teams leaving the conference? a-la TCU and Ft. Worth bowl? I know they don't own the bowl game, but I wonder if there is a stipulation in the contract that TCU must be a member of C-USA.
List of Bowls:
— the AXA Liberty Bowl (champion), GMAC Bowl, Hawaii Bowl, Fort Worth Bowl and the New Orleans Bowl.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:10 pm

looking at the most likely "single" western division invitees, I'm a bit surprised to see that SMU sponsors more sports than any of the public schools being talked about (UTEP, UNT or La Tech). Must admit I haven't looked that closely at the MAC schools, but our $18M budget surpasses several of those being considered.
Charleston Pony

Postby FLORIDAGUY » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:36 pm

It is a fact! 70% of the TV viewers live in the eastern time zones! We need teams on EST in big media markets.
FLORIDAGUY
Recruit

Postby Water Pony » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:54 pm

The silent on this topic from CUSA and even the media is very interesting. Could be surprise pick or picks. Also, raiding the MAC and going for 2 or 3 candidates would be shades of the ACC's run at the Big East.

I think we could be pleasantly surprised when real information starts to appear. :hmm:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:51 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
looking at the most likely "single" western division invitees, I'm a bit surprised to see that SMU sponsors more sports than any of the public schools being talked about (UTEP, UNT or La Tech). Must admit I haven't looked that closely at the MAC schools, but our $18M budget surpasses several of those being considered.
Would like to see 14 team league if we get any MAC teams...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:36 am

looking at last year's attendance figures, you can't help but notice that almost half of the MAC teams are averaging under the required 15k attendance to remain at I-A status. Gotta believe Miami-Ohio, Toledo, NIU and BGSU are concerned and may well consider CUSA invites

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004 ... relyDI.htm
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football