PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who do we add to the schedule when we dump TCU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who do we add to the schedule when we dump TCU?

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:17 pm

Personally, I hope we drop TCU; I would much rather have a rival in our own conference, and it would help in recruiting.

2 questions:

1) Who do we pick up for an OOC game when we dump them?

2) Who becomes our rival?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who do we add to the schedule when we dump TCU?

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:33 pm

As far as future rivalries, I think once the dust settles on C-USA expansion and we know who will be in our division, we will have more of a feeling. Maybe Houston. We have to play some meaningful games against someone to develop a rivalry that is worth a damn.

I say we keep scheduling non-conference games the way we are now. Any Big XII team will be interesting, and any other teams that are quality in the region. Maybe LSU or Arkansas again. I really liked the Ole Miss series. Just fill in the TCU game with another great non-conference opponent.

<small>[ 02-05-2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:48 pm

Really? I think we should drop TCU and schedule an easy-win type school. We already have the OSU and Tech game slots for tougher teams. Our other two non-conference games should be against easier teams. Someone like a southwest texas or Grambling...

As far as rivalries, Houston would be good. There is already some bad blood there from the run up the score game in the early nineties.
JasonB

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:49 pm

I vote for Arkansas; should be a good crowd, SEC member, tradition, etc.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:53 pm

Why would we add a school like Ark. and increase their presence in the Dallas market? We are already fighting and winning battles against them in recruiting...
JasonB

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:01 pm

For now, the Ponies should schedule the bottom one or two teams in the big conferences (esp. if we expect them to come to Dallas). Indiana would be good...Vandy or Miss. State would suffice too. Baylor is along those lines. I can guarantee, however, that LSU would welcome the Ponies as a home game, as everyone else seems to back out. That's why LSU played W. Illinois instead of originally scheduled Marshall this year, and The Citadel last year.
RGV Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:31 pm

We already have a "gap" in the future schedule with TCU. All I can say is that we are going to miss that game with TCU in 2006. Maybe some of you will appreciate those games we have scheduled with Northwestern and Wake Forest (If I'm recalling correctly), but I hope we can rearrange the schedule and always play TCU along with either Army or Navy every year. Unless SMU suddenly turns things around and starts contending for the CUSA title every year, we need games like TCU to get butts in the seats at Ford...and Moody. I like playing Baylor and TTech for those same reasons.
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:40 pm

We can do better then TCU though - someone more in line with the quality of SMU - Vandy, Duke, NC, Georgia Tech, Stanford - The cross town junior college just does not bring a very high caliber of fan.
gostangs

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:56 pm

Keep scheduling TCU. They are our only rivals and they bring fans to Ford Stadium.

My non-conference choices (will bring fans to Ford and play equal home/away series) are TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Army, Navy, OSU, Arkansas and maybe Mississippi.

When we're stronger a few years from now I'd take an occasional chance against Kansas State, Iowa or the two Florida powers (FSU and Miami) that actively recruit Texas.

Some future non-conference opponents:

@Boston College
@Northwestern
Wake Forest

Northwestern
@Wake Forest

<small>[ 02-06-2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Cheesesteak ]</small>
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:39 pm

Those wanting to add Arkansas appear to have forgotten why we are no longer playing them after our 4 year contract last expired. The PIGS dumped us after Russ Potts got us to move our second home game to Shreveport for a significant amount of money. This upset the PIGS because they wanted the game in Dallas for their fans (who like to come here to shop) and recruiting purposes. The game got a very low attendance from both Arkansas and SMU and, reportedly, Mr. Potts took a big hit financially. The PIGS dumped us and put the Texas Meatloafs on their annual schedule to keep their recruiting ties in Texas alive. They would be very resistant to putting us back on their schedule because of this. Of course, I'm NOT a PIG fan after they caused the demise of the old Southwest conference by being the first to pull out and move to the Southeast conference. (Good riddance Frank Broyles!) Not allowing them to get exposure in the Dallas market on a semi-annual basis doesn't hurt my feelings and may have even played a role in convincing Haynes (for instance) to stay with his commitment to SMU.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Ponymon -

The Hogs/UT series ends after the 2004 game in Fayetteville. UofA is scheduled to play a game in Kyle Field against the Aggies in 2008.

SMU needs better athletics revenue and attendance in Ford Stadium. Hogs fans would help in both categories.

Does Coach Bennett prefer Big 12 opponents to potential SEC options?

Like you, I clearly remember the Razorbacks leaving the SWC and the terrible aftereffects.

SMU needs to live and thrive in the here and now.

<small>[ 02-05-2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Cheesesteak ]</small>
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:18 pm

CheeseSteak,
I have a LONG memory!

<small>[ 02-10-2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Smoo Power ]</small>
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:38 am

Duke or Vandy would be pretty hesitant to schedule us due to the lack of an alumni base in Texas. We need fans in the seats, remember?

I don't like the idea of Arkansas either.. but they already have a pretty strong foothold in Texas.. is it really going to make a difference?

I really liked the idea of scheduling Army or Navy... always great draws across the country. And hey, ESPN would eat up an Army-SMU game... the ultimate pillow fight of the week! :)

I jest... of course.

<small>[ 02-06-2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: FloridaMustang ]</small>
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:01 am

Of course Army and Navy may end up being some sort of conference game depending on whether this crazy CUSA deal works out with them if it is even still an option.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:04 am

There is NO WAY we should allow TCU to stay on the schedule, for recruiting reasons if nothing else. Lets play a louisiana-laffeyette or grambling and get a home W out of it. We need games like that, just like K State did.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football