PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Quarterbacks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Quarterbacks

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:49 am

Any thoughts on who has the early edge to start at QB? Anyone know what Coach Burns looks for in his quarterbacks? Personally, I hope one of the JUCOs steps forward, allowing us to redshirt Phillips for a year so he can spend a year learning the new offense and then still have three seasons to play.
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Re: Quarterbacks

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:00 am

Stick with Phillips - it was clear had we had him in there earlier we would have won some games - his mobility is a key for us - we don't have another year to wait on a win - we need 3-4 minimum next year or our big problems start gettting insurmountable.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:09 am

As long as the decision is based on who gives us the best chance to win NOW, then I am on board with whoever gets it. If that is Phillips, so be it. I am not hell bent on redshirting him.

On the other hand, if one of the JuCo kids emerges as the best QB, then Phillips must be redshirted. To me, Phillils either starts or he sits. No sense in letting Phillips burn another year of eligibility in limited gametime.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:02 am

The best thing that could happen for SMU is if one of the JUCO QBs distances himself ahead of the pack. We need drastic improvement at that position, and being able to redshirt Phillips would be a major plus. He ha a ton of talent, but we need to get our QBs on a 5 year plan, just like our linemen.
JasonB

Postby PonyFan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:58 am

Good points. Let's not waste a year of Phillips by part-timing him. Either he starts or sits for a year. In fact, if Phillips is one of two leaders for the job, I'd say play the other guy and use the second JUCO as his backup. Unless Phillips is the clear leader, let's save him so he has three full seasons to play. JasonB's 5-year plan definitely is the way to go.

<small>[ 02-06-2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: PonyFan ]</small>
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:32 pm

Originally posted by gostangs:
Stick with Phillips - it was clear had we had him in there earlier we would have won some games - his mobility is a key for us - we don't have another year to wait on a win - we need 3-4 minimum next year or our big problems start gettting insurmountable.
You're making this statement without even seeing the JUCO QBs...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:22 pm

They have both said they are pocket passers - we don't ususally have a pocket tp [deleted] from - and though we will some day, we probably will not next year - therefore fastest most mobile QB should start - Phillips is the model for the future.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:35 pm

let the best man win the job and hope it's a tough decision for the coaches because we are vastly improved at the position.

As for "pocket passers", nothing wrong with that...as long as they understand that pocket will collapse quickly. I want to see an offense with quick reads, short drops, etc... and a running game that will make the passing game more effective.

Now, back to that OL discussion...
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:17 pm

Romo is supossed to be a pretty mobile QB...
JasonB

Postby mpony » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Any word on how the other qb from last years class (Meeks?) is progressing. I thought he was supposed to be the best QB out of that class. Will he be in the mix this year?
mpony
Recruit

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:27 pm

I love Phillips game. I think he may be the most talented guy, regardless of position, we have had in a long time. If he gives us the best chance to win, then play him. BTW, I thought you couldn’t redshirt after your freshman year unless it is a medical redshirt?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:30 am

LA_mustang is right. When the red shirt comes off its off unless the player suffers an injury. Meeks! don't change who you are. stay at the position you was recruited for. Its going to be tough mentally on you. DON'T CHANGE FOR PLAYING TIME. Fight it out as long as you are a QB on scholarship they will either use ya or move ya. DON'T CHANGE.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby Corby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:21 pm

In regards to redshirting, all players have a 5 year window to compete for 4 years. You can redshirt at any time within those years. As far as medical redshirting, you must apply for that year and is decided upon by NCAA representatives.

Trey Bandy could have been victimized worse than anyone in NCAA history by not getting a medical redshirt after rupturing his Achilles on the first day of practice his 5th year. Kids across the country are into their 2nd or 3rd game of senior years and get medical redshirts. Of course, that is OU or UT. What a shame.
Corby
Recruit

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:06 am

Here's what I got from NCAA.Org on Redshirts.

Frequently-Asked Questions on Redshirts, Age Limits and Graduate Participation

What is a redshirt?

Redshirt Definition
The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Return to Football