PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Line

Postby Dark Horse » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:59 pm

Originally posted by PonyFan:
Using the Keischnick-at-center idea (a new one to me, but not unappealing):

LT: Darrin Johnson, Ben Poynter
LG: Justin Boren, Caleb Peveto
C: Brad Kieschnick, Grant Eidson
RG: Townsend Hargis, Bryan Turner
RT: Chris Urbanus, ????
Maybe Kenard Burley would back up at right tackle?
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby giacfsp » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:13 pm

Man, that represents a huge jump in size. Johnson will top 300 pounds after one more big meal. Boren is already over 300 and growing. Kieschnick has got to be close (290 or so?) Hargis is over, and Urbanus is over.
When's the last time we were that close to having five starters at 300-plus? And they're not fat, either. These are 300-pound athletes.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Uncle Morty » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:34 pm

Wasnt the 95-96 line (holz, Kidd, Chiles) all 300+ across the front?
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby BennettBacker » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:12 am

I admit I wasn't following SMU then (as my name would indicate, I started following you guys when Coach B was hired.)
Were those guys you mention fat, or just big? Coach B won't play fat guys just to get the numbers up. He's always liked OLs who could run. He'd rather play a 270-pound quick guy than a slow, fat guy who can claim 300 pounds.
BennettBacker
Scout Team

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:11 am

Our fastest OL is RS Fresh. Caleb Peveto who is 6'4 and close to 300 lbs. now. Our second fastest (and strongest) OL is RS Fresh. Justin Boren who is 6'4, 300 lbs. and change already. If Kieschnick moves to center (which is pure speculation) and starts over Eidson and Turner (which I imagine those two gentlemen would contest vigorously), then yes, the average size of the line should increase even though we lost Sterling.

I think Coach V is completely reevaluating everyone on the OL, so at this point there's really no telling where everyone will end up. But it's fun to speculate.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:57 am

Now that we have at least four quarterbacks with the potential to be potent offensive weapons and a butt load of RB's and WR's, it is critical that we have an offensive line that can dominate the game. As Bus would say, you can't leave home without one. Coach V has a hell of a challenge ahead of him, but I think the players coming up have a good fiesty attitude that will help. It will be interesting to see how spring training goes.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:04 pm

What's the status on Townsend Hargis's health? I know he had some kind of injury last year, but I don't remember how serious it is/was. I'd really like to see him return to full health and battle for a starting spot. Whether he wins it or not doesn't matter -- as we all know, strong competition breeds hard work, and would make all players involved play better. If he wins the starting job, great. If not, then there's a big, experienced talent in reserve, and as anyone knows, you certainly need quality depth.

Anyone got an update?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:07 pm

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Brad Kieschnick at center. He's always been a very tough, fighter-type of a player, and he has two years' experience under his belt, meaning he should understand the nuances of college blocking well enough to make all the calls at the line of scrimmage. I remember someone saying he was the toughest (if not the biggest) OL we have, which makes him an ideal anchor for the line.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:00 pm

One thing that jumps out at you when you look at our OL is that we have only one returning senior in Townsend Hargis. The rest of the two deep is filled with guys who will have 2-4 yrs eligibility remaining. Don't know if that bodes well for next year, but by the time we reach CUSA play, my guess is that we will be very competitive in the trenches.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EP Pony Fan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:42 am

Very true. As important as size and strength are -- and they're very important -- maturity, experience and continuity also are important. This has the makings of a very strong line by the time we reach C-USA.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:15 pm

Townsend is our only senior next year? Looking at all the big bodies, Coach V and Coach Adami have to be licking their chops when they consider the possibilities with this group.
Pony4Life
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football