PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive Line

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:09 am

I think one of the most interesting developments to watch this spring will be the new (and hopefully improved) offensive line. Both Coach Burns and Coach V (offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek) mentioned that they were going to be reevaluating our talent and moving players to where they'd be the most effective. So... does anyone have a prediction of what the new starting OL might look like?

I've heard rumors that they might try Brad Kieschnick (our most experienced OL) at center (a fine idea IMHO), and we might be seeing Boren and Peveto challenging at either guard spot. I assume we'd like to see an improved Darrin Johnson at one of the tackle spots.

Anyone else have any thoughts/insight on this?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Offensive Line

Postby BUS » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:36 am

From what I hear we should have 4 or 5 red shirts that may come into the mix. We neend help here and I hope that Jones and Bonds are bigger and faster this year.

Sure would be nice to have two more 300+ DT's

Don't get on to me about Adami - YES he IS great but I would like to see him at D-end and then see him play PRO ball.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:36 am

From what I hear we should have 4 or 5 red shirts that may come into the mix. We neend help here and I hope that Jones and Bonds are bigger and faster this year.

Sure would be nice to have two more 300+ DT's

Don't get on to me about Adami - YES he IS great but I would like to see him at D-end and then see him play PRO ball.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:28 am

Adami is quick but we still need him at DT. We need a solid rotation in the middle of the line.

As for the OL, interesting to hear about Brad because when he was recruited, he was named as a top 5 center in Texas by one publication.

Between Turner, Keishnick, and Eidson, two of those guys are going to have to move to center in order to give us three deep at each position. Sounds to me like it could be Turner and Brad.

Here is what the line looks like to me if that is true:

LT: DJ and Urbanus
LG: Eidson, Boren, Morton
C: Keisnick, Turner, Smith
RG: Hargis, Guidry, Lobo
RT: Peveto, Burley, and Neal
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:28 am

Adami is quick but we still need him at DT. We need a solid rotation in the middle of the line.

As for the OL, interesting to hear about Brad because when he was recruited, he was named as a top 5 center in Texas by one publication.

Between Turner, Keishnick, and Eidson, two of those guys are going to have to move to center in order to give us three deep at each position. Sounds to me like it could be Turner and Brad.

Here is what the line looks like to me if that is true:

LT: DJ and Urbanus
LG: Eidson, Boren, Morton
C: Keisnick, Turner, Smith
RG: Hargis, Guidry, Lobo
RT: Peveto, Burley, and Neal
JasonB

Postby PonyFan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:55 am

Using the Keischnick-at-center idea (a new one to me, but not unappealing):

LT: Darrin Johnson, Ben Poynter
LG: Justin Boren, Caleb Peveto
C: Brad Kieschnick, Grant Eidson
RG: Townsend Hargis, Bryan Turner
RT: Chris Urbanus, ????
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:55 pm

Probably pretty close PonyFans, but I doubt we'll be seeing Peveto backing up Boren. He's too talented and too young to be backing up another talented, young guard. Look for Peveto to be pushing Hargis for the other starting guard spot.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:52 pm

Is Peveto definately at guard? For a while, he was out a tackle... or so I thought?
JasonB

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:08 pm

Someone posted on here that at different points during the 2003 season, Peveto worked in practice at every OL position except LT. So I'd say it's still too early to guess where he'll end up.

<small>[ 02-06-2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]</small>
Hal
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:16 pm

Using Ponyfans line up - what was last years starting line up - average weight/height, vs the projected line up? My guess is we pick up a little height and 15 lbs. on average.
gostangs

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:25 pm

Maybe I mis-read your post .... that was last year's starting lineup? Boren redshirted, and Steve Reindl and Sterling Harris were starters all year, as I recall.
Can you clarify?
Hal
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:45 pm

bottom line is that we finally have 15 OL guys on the roster, and only 2 are seniors (Hargis and Neal). Plenty of room for improvement by this group. Should be great competition, but I always want to see the best 5 guys somewhere on the field. Looks to me like we may have a lot of guys who could be moved around.

I want to see RBs who hit holes quickly (remember ShanDerrick?) and QBs who make quick reads and throws (was Romo the last guy we had like that?)

It can only get better after 0-12. I'm sure the coaches and players can't wait to get started again. If they have any competitive fire whatsoever, and I'm sure they do, there's a bitter tste left in their mouths from last year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:08 pm

I think just as important as the increased depth is the increased size. Technique and strength are invaluable, of course, but there's something to be said for big boys just lining up and pushing their man straight back.

Darrin Johnson will be bigger. Kieschnick (I assume) will be a little bigger. Adding Boren and Peveto to the mix will make the average size go way up.
Hal
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:35 pm

Hal - for clarity - 4 posts above my post was a proposed starting OL lineup suggested by Ponyfans for next year - I was wondering how much heavier and taller it would be vs last years starting OL.
gostangs

Postby Ponymon » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:38 am

Talked with Darrin Johnson, who sells shirts at the Spirit Shop at Moody during the basketball games. He really likes the new line coach and is excited by the speed of the last two classes that Bennett has recruited. He says that offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek is a lot more experienced than the former coach, which is going to make a BIG difference and thinks the Ponies will be significantly improved next year!

<small>[ 02-08-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Ponymon ]</small>
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football