PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU's top recruit Peterson says he's ready for NFL

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:42 am

Sorry, couldn't resist. This made me laugh. With the recent ruling about the NFL's draft eligibility rules, it amazes how these 17 and 18 year olds are so arrogant enough to believe they could compete against grown men.

Palestine RB has no plans to enter draft but keeps options open

01:59 AM CST on Sunday, February 8, 2004

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News

Palestine running back Adrian Peterson, the nation's top college football recruit, has dreamed of playing in the NFL since he was 8 years old. A ruling by a federal judge Thursday means Peterson could be closer to making that dream a reality.

The decision struck down the NFL's rule limiting the league's draft to players at least three years out of high school. Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett sued the league to change the rule.

"I was rooting for him," said Peterson, who signed a national letter of intent to attend Oklahoma on Wednesday.

If the ruling holds up on appeal, it could clear the way for teenagers such as Peterson to enter the NFL directly out of high school. It also creates a new option for college underclassmen. But Peterson had no plans as of Friday night to make himself eligible for April's draft. The NFL set a March 1 deadline for players newly made eligible for the draft.

There is no groundwork in place for Peterson to test the NFL waters without sacrificing his NCAA eligibility.

But Peterson said he would keep his options open and thinks he could play in the NFL now.

"That would be something special to do," Peterson said. "Personally, I think I could. But that's just me. ...It wouldn't be wise for a lineman. I'll say that. But it's totally different with running backs and receivers. I'd have to see what they offered me."

High school athletes in sports such as basketball and baseball have been able to go straight to the professional ranks for years. Football has always been considered different because of the physical nature of the sport.

The ruling raises the question if younger players will be ready to compete in the NFL.

"If a high school running back can make that jump, I think Adrian has as good a chance as anybody," Palestine coach Jeff Harrell said. "He would have to look at everything and talk to people who know more about it. ...Those are the best players in the world. It's a big jump to Division I. Jumping to the pros is as big a jump."

The physical level is what would be most difficult about making the leap, said Peterson, who is 6-3, 208 pounds. But he said his speed would help the adjustment. Peterson rushed for 2,315 yards and 32 touchdowns this season. He also plans to run track at Oklahoma and has been timed in the 100-meter at 10.32 seconds and 20.34 in the 200.

"I'm not that big, but I'm fast," Peterson said. "I'm pretty sure I can outrun the whole Dallas Cowboys team."

Peterson traveled to Ohio on Saturday to accept the Touchdown Club of Columbus Offensive Player of the Year award and was also up for the organization's High School Player of the Year honor. He said if the ruling holds up and he has a standout freshman season at Oklahoma, he would definitely have to consider his NFL options.

"If they offered me $5 million, hey, I'm for that," Peterson said. "How could you turn that down?"
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Re: OU's top recruit Peterson says he's ready for NFL

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:14 pm

Remember Eric Dickerson couldn't even start as a freshman. I don't like it but about 10 years ago I came to peace with the idea that the kids like this who don't see the value of a college education don't belong there. Let 'em go and save ourselves a lot of embarrassment and heartache. College athletics will survive and it really destroys the argument that college sports is simply a pro minor league-it ain't if we don't let it be.

<small>[ 02-08-2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dark Horse » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:47 pm

LaVar Arrington suggested last week that if the court decision to allow players like Clarrett to jump to the NFL earlier than before (never mind the fact that Arrington left Penn State a year early) was "a slap in the face" to those players who spent more time in college. He implied (without quite coming out and saying it) that there is a sentiment across the league that anyone who comes out after one or two years would be subjected to more of the traditional rookie treatment than someone who finishes college or comes close to finishing. He sort of implied that Clarrett would get more of a physical pounding (in practice? in games?) than the typical rookie does.

Is that simply because of all the theatrics surrounding Clarrett over the last year? Because if it's just an age thing, imagine the pounding Peterson would take should he choose to jump straight from high school to the NFL. The old school guys might really be offended that someone so young and precocious would be in the leage, especially since someone who makes that jump would have to be supremely talented, and therefore would likely make more money than the vast majority of older players.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:11 pm

The ruling is great in my opinion - if they have no interest in school whatsoever then they don't belong in a university. Let em go pro as soon as they can - This can only hlep the SMU's of the world -
gostangs

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:34 pm

Posted by gostangs:

...if they have no interest in school whatsoever then they don't belong in a university. Let em go pro as soon as they can - This can only hlep the SMU's of the world

I partially agree with the statement about "helping the SMU's of the world" because some of the talented athletes that have recently made highlight films against SMU might have already moved on to the NFL and not competed against SMU at all/as often.

Driving academically unmotivated athletes into college classrooms when they don't want to be there erodes learning opportunities for real students.

In college basketball there are numbers of mental midgets that are killing time (NBA-eligible but not NBA-ready) on campuses, staying eligible or being kept eligible, while hoping for a shot at professional basketball.

SMU faces these types even though they are NBA eligible.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Why is college FOOTBALL so sacred? College basketball, and baseball has had this for years.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:17 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
Remember Eric Dickerson couldn't even start as a freshman. I don't like it but about 10 years ago I came to peace with the idea that the kids like this who don't see the value of a college education don't belong there. Let 'em go and save ourselves a lot of embarrassment and heartache. College athletics will survive and it really destroys the argument that college sports is simply a pro minor league-it ain't if we don't let it be.
College football, especially the BCS, is, and has been a FREE farm system for the NFL for years.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:07 pm

I think we'll have to see how the NFL reacts, if Clarett goes in the first two rounds and doesn't get cut after training camp, then I think more will opt out of college. I really think that young players may very well look at Junior colleges and jump straight to the pros after JUCO. This might actually help SMU because it may dry up part of the JUCO pool.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:18 pm

Why is college FOOTBALL so sacred? College basketball, and baseball has had this for years
That is the answer to the question. College baseball is basically a second tier sport, and the quality of college basketball as a whole has diminished greatly in the last 8-10 years.

The only reason I wouldn't be scared is because these guys aren't physically ready at all. If Peterson thinks he is, so be it. I'd like to see what he thinks about the difference in speed from 4-A high school to the NFL.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:05 pm

You know we are just talking about an arrogant young man who doesn't have a clue. This kid needs someone to take him in hand and let him know that the pro game isn't like HS and that the DBs are faster and a whole lot bigger and tougher than anything he has ever seen. He should just keep his mouth shut until he sees whether he can even be a star next year.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Football