PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting lineup

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re:

Postby Tshoot » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:56 am

gostangs wrote:Tshoot - A running QB in our offense is worthless? Did you watch ANY of our games? Are you nuts? A running QB is a requirement at SMU - when we have one we win a few games - when we don't we lose, we switch and they transfer and set records.

Phillips starts - it is one of the only set postions. The Juco's are an insurance policy only.
Insurance policy?? An 0-12 team recruits not one but two Juco QB's for insurance?? Great Googly Moogly what a luxury. The fact is as we speak Phillips is the man but there will be major competition. As far as my running QB comment this offense is not set up for a QB to run. His job is to get the ball to a reciever or throw it away. Of course the faster he is the better. The QB will be in the gun and looking to fire away NOT tuck and run. We wont be doing much option. As far as getting our [deleted] kicked in September I dont see it that way. Some of these new guys have a little attitude and thats good. I hope its contagous. In fact I hope some of the posters on this board catch it. Sounds like some of you guys are used to losing. Did you ever think some of these new guys are coming to SMU to set records and kick a little [deleted]? The new guys didnt come here to sit on the bench and they sure as hell didnt come here to lose. The competition will make the whole team better and from what I recall a couple breaks last year and maybe things wouldn't have been quite so bad. :twisted:
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:37 am

Go get 'em Tshooot!

Both the new JUCO QBs have the tools. We took them because Bennett said we will never be in a position again where we don't have experience at that position ever again. As we all know, that's a tried and true recipe for losing.

Of course Phillips is the incumbent. He earned that. But comparing him to Carl Lewis is ridiculous. So is anyone who calls for Phillips' job if he were to start 0-3 (or 0-4 for that matter) this fall. Next season's start is going to be brutal. If we pick up one or two W's out of our first for games we should collectively be ecstatic because if we do, we've turned the corner.

I think the most rational poster is PonyFan. Whoever gets in there, learns Coach Burn's system and becomes proficient in it will be who starts. Bennett & Co. have alluded to that more times than I can count this offseason.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:54 pm

I don't think its irrational to disagree. I don't care who learns Coach Burns system the fastest. So what if Eckert is able to learn it faster than Phillips if thats the case, as long as Phillips can learn it. If Phillips isn't the qb to start next year, Romo or Eckert better be really damn good and winning early. Phillips has demonstrated all the tools and SMU needs to give him every chance to be the man. The kid is obviously special. He really stood out as a player and competitor in that TCU game. The kid almost won that game for us on his back. I respect that and I give him credit for it.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:11 pm

screw giving up. Thats not an option.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:37 pm

Although we were 0-12 last year I’m very optimistic about next season. With Phillips, Massey, Foy, and more options at WR, we should be a lot better on offense. As usual, the o-line will be the biggest question mark.

Defensively, I think a couple of the redshirts from last season will have a big impact in 04. Hopefully, the secondary will find a playmaker or two. I love the potential of Desmond Jones and I look for a breakout year from him.

I think Phillips, Jones, and Massey will prove to be the gems of the 03 class. Each have the size and skill you expect a big-time D1 player to have. And I love the fact that 2 of the 3 are from Dallas. I will take as many DISD players as we can get.
LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:17 pm

T - Still gotta disagree with you on the run thing - but will for sure agree that as a group of fans we are beaten into submission - don't think the players see it that way, and I predict a surprise within the first four games - maybe even early on.

However -it don't mean squat what the offense is supposed to do - our O-line will cause us to have the REQUIREMENT for a running QB, who can get 7-10 yds out of a broken play. Phillips is the best guy for that and that is why he will start. Stout as he is - if he runs his chances of getting banged up are high - therefore, yes, the two jucos are insurance and needed ins. to boot - better then having the back up choice of a LB or TE/pitcher/rockstar, well... you get the drift.
gostangs

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:20 pm

Oh man ! It's gettin hot in here! *******so take off all your close******BOOM. Ya'll gotta remmember, coach B aint payin an OC to come in here and cheer for a QB to run the ball. In the spring that runnin will get you benched or moved to TE or maybe punter. Coach will start Phillps even though one of the other QB's is a better reader. You know, in the spring they don't let the "D" go after the QB's live so it's easy to make your third read. If any of the QB's aren't making atleast 3 reads then they are going to get chewed and label as impatient. Now lets get "RELATIVE". The first three games are going to require a running QB, in order to compete, because the O-line is still not proven against tough D's. SO, Phillips starts. unless one of the other QB,s sports 4.6 speed, Phillips is not that fast but he is stout and he can make tacklers miss a bit. He can run good enough to move the sticks on third and 5. Anyway, When 0-3 comes about coach will be forced to got to one of the arena league QB's, cause SMU is not a smash mouth mentality offensive team. Because all the fans will be upset that the ball is not getting thrown enough. Then the other teams D will go man tight, blitz heavy and give the dump off route. The reading QB will know he can't run and throw under the sticks to a WR or a RB who will mostly not get the first down because two LB's will break coverage and close on him, stopping him short. Please! let me take a sip of my beer!, sssssssssssssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppppppp, IIIIIiii man thats good. Ya'll don't get mad now. You gotta have a runnin offense and a D that can rack up three and outs to win man. I could be wrong though Hum. (Shiffty)
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Re:

Postby Tshoot » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:20 am

gostangs wrote:T - Still gotta disagree with you on the run thing - but will for sure agree that as a group of fans we are beaten into submission - don't think the players see it that way, and I predict a surprise within the first four games - maybe even early on.

However -it don't mean squat what the offense is supposed to do - our O-line will cause us to have the REQUIREMENT for a running QB, who can get 7-10 yds out of a broken play. Phillips is the best guy for that and that is why he will start. Stout as he is - if he runs his chances of getting banged up are high - therefore, yes, the two jucos are insurance and needed ins. to boot - better then having the back up choice of a LB or TE/pitcher/rockstar, well... you get the drift.
The offense this year is supposed to be a 5 wide spread offense, ala Texas Tech, La Tech ect. with a little no huddle thrown in (maybe). Last year and that offensive scheme is GONE. If the O line is as porus as you say (and I dont think it will be) then the Gost of Johnny U couldnt win a game. There are ways to move the ball and score with an average line. Quick outs, draws, QB roll outs Ect. You are thinking about the past. The future approach is going to be different. Last years offense was LAST in the country in most categories. Changes are going to be made starting with the playbook. I think that given a little time the offense will be successful. Why did the QB's have to run last year? Was it because of the O line or because he held the ball too long? My questions are moot anyway because this offense will have an entirely different philosophy and I'm looking forward to it. Hallehulia Mammy!!!
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Re:

Postby 91Stang » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:10 am

Hoop Fan wrote:screw giving up. Thats not an option.

Preach on, Hoop!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:34 am

Relative,

Don't count on Bennett changing offensive philosophy because of whatever pressure us alumni bring to bear (even if we start 0-4 or worse). In his two years here, he has obviously done whatever he thought gave the team the best chance to win (run, starting Wallis over Bartel, dumping Bartel, etc., etc.), and paid very little attention to us armchair coaches.

TShoot,

Don't worry about the offensive line son. They're going to be fine. We're going to be a lot better going forward; this year the main issue is going restructuring the line and quality depth. Further, last year's line looked worse than it actually was because of the scaled down, predictable, vanilla offense. There's probably going to be a serious learning curve to get Burn's offense implemented, but one thing it won't be, and that's predictable. The ball is going to be spread all over the place, which will slow the defense down.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:31 pm

so take off all your close

classic
Mike Damone
All-American

Re:

Postby giacfsp » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:32 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:screw giving up. Thats not an option.

Whether the sentiment is generated by thoughts about football, track or any other, allegiance to the Ponies must never waver.

Webguys: This post from Hoop Fan should be the Poster of the Week.
giacfsp
Heisman

Hey - it's about the starting line-up

Postby The PonyGrad » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:15 am

Can we get back to the subject or drop this thread.

It's about the starting line-up, you know, football.

I think a two deep or even a three deep would be a better topic at this time.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Previous

Return to Football