PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting lineup

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Starting lineup

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:43 pm

How's this for jumping the gun a bit? Freshmen aren't enrolled yet, 2-a-days haven't started, spring ball hasn't started, the team has to get used to a couple of new coaches .... and I'm tossing around starting lineups in my head. So without knowing anything, really, here's what I've come up with, based on rumors, hearsay, and that crystal ball on my desk (that's been known to be just a wee bit inaccurate from time to time) for the starting lineups GOING IN to spring ball ....

QB: Tony Eckert
RB: Foy Munlin
WR: Devin Lowery
WR: Reynaldo Pellerin
WR Jay'Mond Cleveland
TE: Ryan Kennedy
LT: Darrin Johnson
LG: Justin Boren
C: Brad Kieschnick
RG: Townsend Hargis
RT: Chris Urbanus

DE: Don Ieremia-Stansbury
DT: Allan Adami
DT: Desmond Jones
DE: Melvin Williams
OLB: Avery Cleveland
MLB: Reggie Carrington
OLB: Cory Muse
SS: Alvin Nnabbuife
FS: Jamey Harper
CB: Charles Akinyemi
CB: Rolando Humphrey

PK: Chris McMurtray
P: Ryan Mentzel
DS: Grant Eidson
H: (?) Jerad Romo
PR: Blake Warren
KOR: Trey Griffin

OK -- how crazy is this alignment?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Corso » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:57 pm

So you've eliminated Rushbrook from the starting lineup? As much potential as the youngsters seem to have, Rushbrook has the most experience.

I'm also interested to see what Lucky DeLay and Charlie Berry and Dominic Pryor have to offer at DE (assuming his injury doesn't force DeLay to bulk up and move inside to DT).
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby hpfan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:35 am

Corso I am hearing that 2 of the three DE's are already moving inside.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:35 am

The battle at DE should be especially interesting this fall. Williams and Stansbury are smallish, but they have a ton of experience and are the incumbents. Stansbury had an off year last year – so which Stansbury will show up this season? Lucky D has the size, but he's young and coming off an injury (anybody hear anything about how he's doing?). Pryor has a TON of talent, but not experience. Are Glockzin, Justin Rodgers or Mike Benson on the radar screen anywhere?
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:41 am

Im really interested on who's going to be our starting Quarterback....personally I would pick Chris
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:51 am

I don't have any idea who should be the starting QB; I just want Bennett to pick the guy that gives us the best chance to win now. If the above post is any indication, my only thought is that Bennett is going to have to show some guts if he plans on benching Phillips.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

What?????????

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am

Chris Phillips appears to be the first big-time, talented skill position player we have had at SMU in a LONG time and you've already replaced him with a JUCO player you have never even seen play. That is brilliant.
LA_Mustang

Re: What?????????

Postby Dooby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:49 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Chris Phillips appears to be the first big-time, talented skill position player we have had at SMU in a LONG time and you've already replaced him with a JUCO player you have never even seen play. That is brilliant.

Again, this is the kind of talk that makes me wonder if Bennett has the guts to redshirt Phillips this year. Regardless of whatever talent Phillips has, I will point out that he hasn't won a game yet. Still, if Phillips gives us the best chance to win now, he plays. But I have no problem if Bennett decides that isn't the case.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

D Line

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:59 am

hpfan,

Which DEs are theoretically moving inside. I know it's all gross speculation, since the coaches are supposedly reevaluating all the player positions. But just curious to know who's being considered at DT and DE.

Thanks. :lol:
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 pm

Dooby, I'm still not conveniced Phillips can redshirt. Do you know for sure he can?
LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:29 pm

A player has 5 years to play 4. Redshirting can be any year. Medical redshirts have different rules.
mrydel

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:05 pm

If Chris doesnt start againist TTU Im going to have some big problems with that! He kept us in the game againist TCU as he scored our only Touchdown. We were all saying he was the answer to our problems last season...Let him prove it Bennett!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby No Quarter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:45 pm

:?:

I'd like to see a two deep and some comment about whether SMU will be able to sub O-Lines by units this year.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby hpfan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:27 pm

PerunaP I hear it is Berry and Delay at DT,,,Also Stansbury is with the LB's
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Hmmmmm, very interesting. Does Berry have the frame for a DT? Lucky Delay is a great big kid, so that makes some sense. And Stansbury back to LB also makes some sense – I know he has trouble keeping weight on.

But that seems to leave us even thinner than usual at DE. Very, very interesting.

Thanks HpFan.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football