PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting lineup

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:48 pm

What about Massey at RB? Does anyone know if he is going to see some PT this season?
Mac
Scout Team

Re: What?????????

Postby Tshoot » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:47 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Chris Phillips appears to be the first big-time, talented skill position player we have had at SMU in a LONG time and you've already replaced him with a JUCO player you have never even seen play. That is brilliant.
Now be reasonable. You haven't seen the juco guys either. I'll bet you will be surprised when you do. BTW arent we going to a shotgun/spread offense? Can Phillips throw as good as he runs? He's gonna need to. He should redshirt and learn. A running QB in this offense is useless. This offense needs a guy that can read coverage, audible and get the ball out where it needs to be. SMU aint gonna option much. Thank God. :lol:
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby Corso » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:50 am

First things first: I've never seen either of the JUCO quartberbacks, so other than the highlight tapes we saw on Signing Day, I don't know if these guys can throw it 5 yards or 5 miles. And I don't really know how well they run, either, so I won't pretend that I do.

However, with that said .... I DO know what Chris Phillips can do. And he throws better than he runs. He looked like Carl Lewis last year, but you have to remember that with all due respect, Bartel wasn't exactly fast, and Wallis wasn't much better (a better runner, to be sure, but not what you'd call a sprinter). Phillips breaks the sound barrier next to those two, but he's got a bionic arm. He can really fire some lasers when he needs to. I think we all (myself included) became enamored with his wheels when he started running all over the field. But to suggest, Tshoot, that a running quarterback is useless in this or any offense is a bit shortsighted, don't you think? I don't know about you, but if there's a breakdown in the offensive line, I want my QB to be able to tuck it and run, or at least to get out of harm's way.

And back to what hpfan said .... Stansbury's with the LBs? Why? I thought he was viewed as blazing fast for a DE, but only sort of fast for an LB? I know he carried too much weight last year, but remember, when he first bumped up from LB to DE, he was making folks look silly trying to keep up with him. If need be, drop him back down to 240, and let him run all over the place with a strong (Cory Muse?) LB behind him to help against the run. I like Melvin Williams and I like Justin Rogers, and I don't know enough about Jamar Bey or Dominic Pryor or Mike Benson or Brent Karrington to offer an opinion. My guess is that if the coaches are moving Berry AND DeLAY inside AND moving Ieremia-Stansbury back to the LB spot, they must have great faith in the young DEs.

Idle thought: he runs well, and he's really strong .... think we might see Ieremia-Stansbury at MIDDLE linebacker?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:41 am

drop Stansbury back down to 240? I thought that was his top weight and it was hard to keep that much on him. He came in here as a skinny 190 pounder as I recall and getting to 225 was an accomplishment. I like him as a 225 lb linebacker if he remains quick. I'd like to see some 250 punders at DE.

The competition for time at RB could be pretty intense. Gotta believe we will be deeper at most positions next year, but will still rely heavily on RS frosh and even true frosh in the two deep.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hpfan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:34 am

:lol: Corso I'm not sure about all the DE's you mentioned but to see them in drills,Bey is the fastest(May be one of the teams fastest at WR if they wanted him there).Rogers and Karrington are right behind. Rogers looks like up to 235 and karrington is down to about 255. Of the three Karrington had the most experience and success out of HS. If the middle DL is clearly legit bigger going forward the DE's may be about to follow.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:24 am

Bigger DEs would be a godsend. Pressure on the QB was spotty last season, and I saw our "quick" DEs getting manhandled frequently by big tackles.

I don't know much about Bey, and didn't even know he was practicing at DE. I assume that at 6'5 he could get pretty big over the next few years.

I think I like Karrington better at 255 – that's about 20 lbs. lighter than last year. Sounds like somebody's been putting in some overtime in the weight room. Good job!

Will be interesting to see what Coach Faucette and his pupils will be able to accomplish before Spring.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:44 pm

I sure like what Chris Phillips showed last year. Alot. He played like a warrior in that TCU game. He'd be my quarterback going into spring ball no matter what. Eckert can prove himself and take a hit in a red and blue uniform first if you ask me. If hes better, so be it, but I see nothing to suggest Phillips isn't our man right now.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:08 pm

Phillips is ready to play now-I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a 0-12 team to consider redshirting him. And I seriously doubt its a consideration. Some of you people are much too enamored with redshirts on a 0-12 team. It is essential that SMU win NOW-not in 2009. Redshirting is for players who are not physically mature enough to contribute. Heck we had very few QBs still around for 2 years-redshirt or not- so why worry about redshirts. Phillips is physically mature enough to play and only needs the experience that comes from playing not sitting on his [deleted] so we might win in 2009. Phillips will play next year.
Stallion

Postby PonyFan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:59 pm

That's true, Phillips looked terrific at the end of the season and got better each week as the coaches spoon-fed him the offense. But at the same time, they didn't recruit two JUCO quarterbacks to sit and watch. In other words, we have no way of knowing who will start. I imagine all three have their strengths and weaknesses, and it might well come down to which one adapts most quickly to Coach Burns' offense.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:53 pm

Phillips will not be purposely redshirted. If one of the JUCOS or Meeks out performs in spring practice and 2 a days, and wins the starting position, then he may end up a redshirt by default. But if I were Coach Bennett, I would have to have Phillips at very worst my back up since he has the only QB experience on campus. Please let us not even think about another year with an unproven QB at the helm. If Phillips does not start, we had better be winning games in September with whomever replaces him.
mrydel

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:00 pm

It doesn't really matter who starts because we're probably going lose our first 3 games, and everyone will be calling for a new QB by October anyways. Well, at least everyone on this board.
Mike Damone
All-American

Re:

Postby Dooby » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:16 pm

mrydel wrote:Phillips will not be purposely redshirted. If one of the JUCOS or Meeks out performs in spring practice and 2 a days, and wins the starting position, then he may end up a redshirt by default. But if I were Coach Bennett, I would have to have Phillips at very worst my back up since he has the only QB experience on campus. Please let us not even think about another year with an unproven QB at the helm. If Phillips does not start, we had better be winning games in September with whomever replaces him.

That is ridiculous. I agree that if Phillips is good enough to win the starting job, he should start. If he isn't good enough to start, then you redshirt his butt and let him get some experience running the scout team offense. What you absolutely do not do is let Phillips burn another year of eligibility sitting on the bench.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:42 pm

With that logic I guess we should just sit him down for all 5 years and hope he can help the Cowboys.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:21 pm

Phillips is going to start-you can wring your hands all summer about who is going to start at QB but I'm much more concerned about every single WR position where we don't have a single big play reliabble receiver, every single Secondary position where we have been embarrassed for two years , the offensive line which is perhaps the weakest in America and finding some athletes at DE and LB that can actually make plays that aren't 5 yards downfield. I anticipate Chris Phillips being the offensive MVP next year-not worried at all.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:15 pm

Tshoot - A running QB in our offense is worthless? Did you watch ANY of our games? Are you nuts? A running QB is a requirement at SMU - when we have one we win a few games - when we don't we lose, we switch and they transfer and set records.

Phillips starts - it is one of the only set postions. The Juco's are an insurance policy only.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football