PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Please Explain to me

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Please Explain to me

Postby ponytalk » Tue Jan 09, 2001 5:58 pm

Why can't we get the big Olinemen we used to? After the DP, we still got decent Olinemen, so why can't we now? Everything is better right now than the DP time.

Even three years ago our line was great. We have Chivera, Bandy, Holder, Adami, Chiles, Carroll, Kidd, Eldridge, Okeke, and Slaten. Why can't we still get these guys?

I understand we might be looking for smaller faster linemen, but it is not working. We need the Bandy's and Adami's and Holder's and Chivera's. That is the bottom line. Anyone know what we did to get these guys or how we went about finding them? Why is it so much harder now?
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Please Explain to me

Postby Corso » Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:18 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Jerry Chavira was about 240 when he got here, Okeke was a D-Lineman when he arrived and eldridge wasn't good. We can always get guys like him.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:46 pm

Chavira was not 240 when he got here. He was about 280. Just thought you should know.

Postby Texastang » Tue Jan 09, 2001 8:11 pm

The answer to you question Ponytalk, or rather what we (SMU) should do to get these guys is on the recruiting message board. You will find it under the topic "commitment list", page 1. Read it and tell me what you think. Swami, could you imagine how funny Jerry would have looked at 240.

[This message has been edited by Texastang (edited 01-09-2001).]
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby ponytalk » Wed Jan 10, 2001 12:32 am

I take it this is what you are talking about Texas Stang:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It really isn't that difficult to grab the "Big Men", because SMU has done it in the past. A Few years ago SMU had on of the biggest lines in the nation, and they helped produce really nice numbers. I also remember that none of these guys were "Blue Chippers". The trick is not to chase all these high talent kids who look good on paper, the trick is to find a big kid who has a competitive attitude about him and kills himself out on the field. I'll take that over someone who was rated great and projected to sign with some top 25 school. It is the coaches job to mold that kids raw talent to fit his attitude. One more thing, STOP RECRUITING OUT OF CALIFORNIA. All your little cali studs are going to stay in California or go to a ranked school. That's my opinion, but if you look at it we haven't had much luck with those guys. Plus we can't get any of them to break the 275 pound barrier. Hope yall enjoyed Texastang's formula for success, give me some feed back. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense. We need to go back to finding the big guys with big hearts I guess. Did this stop when Cavan got here? Seems like Slaten is the last real big guy we have, was he recruited by Cavan? I think Bandy and Holder and those older guys we recruited before Cavan. Lets go back to the older ways when searching for linemen. Who are Cavan's linemen recruits?
-Hargis
-Harris
-Reindle
-Murphy
-Gober

With the exception of Harris, who has not shown us much, these guys are small. Cavan needs to start concentrating on O line. We have said this before, this is nothing new. I don't care how great or bad our QB is, if he is throwing off of his back foot he will never do well.

In the words of Bus, Bring on the BIG MEN!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby South Texas Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:21 am

Add the following to your list of Cavan OL signees:

McCarthy, Chandler, and Slaten
South Texas Pony

Postby Mickey » Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:34 am

Ladd, Fross, Davis, C. B. Williams
Mickey
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Thu Jan 11, 2001 1:33 am

McCarthy is a big guy, so is Slaten, but Chandler is small for Oline, he has done spectacular but small, he was recruited and played Dline. Thanks on the Slaten clarification, was not sure if Cavan signed him or not.

Ladd is big--but I think he got that size after he was recruited), Fross is not, CB was big. Who is Davis? I might just be having a mental block, but I do not remember a Davis.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby South Texas Pony » Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:25 am

Judson Davis, I assume. His career has been injury plagued, and I have read it is over. However, I don't know if this is true.
South Texas Pony

Postby ponytalk » Fri Jan 12, 2001 3:37 am

Ok, I have not given Cavan all the credit he deserves in recruiting Olinemen. We have had Murphy, Davis, and Williams all lost to injury. They were all good sized. I think the past two years we have really gone down hill in recruiting O-line. If we do poorly this year then next year we need to focus all of our attention to the Oline. They conrtol the offense, without them, no points.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Fri Jan 12, 2001 11:28 am

We have at least one BIG lineman: Harris.

Unfortunately, according to Coach Fred Astair he was no Ginger Rogers. So he got to watch from the bench all year, even when we needed someone who could go out there and pancake the guy in front of him play after play.

I think the changes point to the staff. Either they are not recruiting the kids that Rossley got or they are not teaching them and molding them like that staff did.

Slaten may be big, but he looked like the biggest matador of them all this year.

With our schedule next year, this isn't going to be pretty. But I'll still be there every Saturday. In the meantime, get your butts to Moody every chance you get. We gripe about the football team's performance and it's relation to attendance. Well, the basketball team IS winning games, with 2 of 3 losses to the #4 and #17 teams in the nation. Good job Coach Dement.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:52 pm

What about Jeff Henderson, what happened to him? He was not the size of Slaten or Harris, but he was decent size. Did he quit or get injuered? Was it because his dad is a coach? Anyone know?
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2001 8:19 pm

it was announced that he had simply quit football. I wondered if it was nagging injuries, or the possibility that since "Dad" was now a University employee, he no longer needed the football scholarship?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna93 » Sun Jan 28, 2001 1:59 am

Slaten may be big, but he looked like the biggest matador of them all this year.

Have you read the list of the awards given at the recent football banquet?
peruna93

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 28, 2001 1:14 pm

Yes, I read that. I think Mac was more deserving of the lineman award, he is the leader out there and our most consistant guy.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football