PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2000 Captains

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2000 Captains

Postby SMU00 » Wed May 31, 2000 11:59 am

Have the captains for next year been named yet? If so, who are they? If they haven't been named, here are my votes:

Josh McCown
Chase Schavrda
Courtney Richardson
Rich Nichols

Any other ideas?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Re: 2000 Captains

Postby MustangMan » Wed May 31, 2000 12:02 pm

Those sound like solid suggestions.

Along those same lines, here are some younger players who could/should be captains in future seasons: Vic Viloria, Kevin Garrett, Danny Murphy, Chris Cunningham, Devonric Johnson, Kevin Aldridge.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby THE ROCK » Wed May 31, 2000 4:39 pm

THE ROCK SAYS...

I AGREE WITH SCHAVRDA, BUT NOT WITH RICH OR COURTNEY, AND I AM UNCERTAIN WITH REGARDS TO JOSH.

HERE IS WHO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MAKE CAPTAINS

CHASE SCHAVRDA
VIC VILORIA

THOSE ARE THE ONLY TWO THAT I CAN THINK OF THAT WOULD FOR CERTAIN BE GOOD CAPTAINS. BUT I BELIEVE COACH CAVAN DOES NOT DO SEASON CAPTAINS, HE LIKES TO HAVE GAME CAPTAINS. SO THEY WOULD SIMPLY MEAN WHO EVER HAS BEEN THE BEST LEADER IN THE WEEKS PRACTICES AND PERHAPS IN THE LAST GAME. RIGHT?
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby South Texas Pony » Wed May 31, 2000 7:47 pm

Mr. Rock, you are correct. Coach Cavan goes with game captains. I asked my son while he was here, and he said they did not do season captains. The captains are named on a game-to-game basis.
South Texas Pony

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jun 01, 2000 5:29 am

I like Cavan's style of game captains. It gives the players a goal to set, and a pat on the back for good performance. I can see the Comet, Briggs, Freeman, McCarthy, KG, Vic, Pratt, Aldrige, Price, and Jonas getting some time as captains. I am sure I left out a lot, anyone?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Jun 01, 2000 10:29 am

I think you will see some of the same game captains repeatedly. From this list, I would say the most likely people to be game captains on multiple occasions would be Schavrda and McCarthy, the only two real seniors, I think.

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Thu Jun 01, 2000 11:15 am

I agree that Vic Viloria has the attitude and spirit of a captain. But after missing last year with academic problems, maybe he should play another year, destroy people on the field, and show his leadership off the field by getting his schoolwork squared away before being a captain on the field. Besides, with the way he rants and raves on the field, he's a real leader anyway. His passion is contagious.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:20 pm

ALL4SMU, McCarthy is not a senior, he has great leadership, but is only a Junior. This is a great sign though!

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Thu Jun 01, 2000 4:14 pm

Gameday captains are a good idea. It also serves as a possible barrier if something untoward was to happen to a season captain.
Manada/Fjdor

Return to Football