PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Adidas Uniforms 2011

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Adidas Uniforms 2011

Postby Comet » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Not true at all. SMU has one of the most instantly recognizable helmets in college football.

Not the case if you were born post-1986'ish which is the case with a ton of new young fans.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:04 am

[I think SMU is the one with the Mustang on the helmet 8)[/quote]

Hate to tell you, but most of the country has barely heard of SMU let alone identify the school by virtue of an animal mascot on the helmet.[/quote]

Not true at all. SMU has one of the most instantly recognizable helmets in college football.[/quote]

Hate to tell you, but you assumption is not true outside the southwestern part of the country. People have heard of the greats like Kyle Rote, Doak Walker, Craig and Eric, but they do not know our logo and even where SMU is located.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:06 am

PoconoPony wrote: but they do not know our logo and even where SMU is located.

Oh, they know our logo. What is astonishing, though, is that people in parts of Dallas, Texas and surrounding suburbs do NOT know where SMU is located (and I'm not talking about mexican or canadian illegals). Of course, most of these same folks don't know in which towns Tech, aTm, Baylor or UT conduct business.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUnewbie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I can add that I have been flying my SMU flag for a couple of years now , and I am constantly asked about it....I am def. in Irish/ Domer country and people are unfamiliar with SMU. I am more then happy to explain what the big red Mustang means. Go Ponies!
SMUnewbie
Recruit

Postby RednBlue11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 pm

the uni looks better.

they;re going in the right direction but it could use a little more simplification in the shoulder area...otherwise im a fan.
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RednBlue11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:19 pm

blah
Last edited by RednBlue11 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RednBlue11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:25 pm

RGV Pony wrote:if we could ever organize a white-out...man, that would be a look unique for us.

as far as i know they have tried for the last 3 years in a row at the home-opener. it's mostly the students who cooperate, but the empty red seats don;t help either.
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RednBlue11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:29 pm

PoconoPony wrote:[I think SMU is the one with the Mustang on the helmet 8)

Hate to tell you, but most of the country has barely heard of SMU let alone identify the school by virtue of an animal mascot on the helmet.[/quote]

Not true at all. SMU has one of the most instantly recognizable helmets in college football.[/quote]

Hate to tell you, but you assumption is not true outside the southwestern part of the country. People have heard of the greats like Kyle Rote, Doak Walker, Craig and Eric, but they do not know our logo and even where SMU is located.[/quote]

people in austin haven't even heard of SMU...i wouldnt have known anything about it save for Huts on west 5th st where they had on old Doak SI framed by my favorite booth
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:50 pm

My base line point is that our new uniforms should have SMU graphically displayed. If we get more TV and national media exposure in the future it is important that there is an identification and connection as we again reach out to the national audiences. My complaint with the new uniforms is that a large very large SMU should be visible. Maybe replacing those ridiculous stripes/clutter with an SMU on the tops of the shoulder pads.

Some good points have been made on this thread as to the knowledge and exposure of SMU nationally. SMU did not use the current Mustang logo until sometime in the 1970s. Old timers might remember us by our old Mustang logo which does not closely resemble the current logo ( see Ponyte's avatar). People born after 1972 were probably too young to remember the Pony Express and then we disappeared for half a century taking our name and logo entirely out of the national lime light. Our re-emergence started with the Hawaii Bowl and needs to be continually reinforced. We need a large visible SMU on our uniforms.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Here's what I consider to be an acceptable size for "SMU".

And this picture above is why people in Austin don't want to remember us.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:04 pm

PoconoPony wrote:My base line point is that our new uniforms should have SMU graphically displayed. If we get more TV and national media exposure in the future it is important that there is an identification and connection as we again reach out to the national audiences. My complaint with the new uniforms is that a large very large SMU should be visible. Maybe replacing those ridiculous stripes/clutter with an SMU on the tops of the shoulder pads.

Some good points have been made on this thread as to the knowledge and exposure of SMU nationally. SMU did not use the current Mustang logo until sometime in the 1970s. Old timers might remember us by our old Mustang logo which does not closely resemble the current logo ( see Ponyte's avatar). People born after 1972 were probably too young to remember the Pony Express and then we disappeared for half a century taking our name and logo entirely out of the national lime light. Our re-emergence started with the Hawaii Bowl and needs to be continually reinforced. We need a large visible SMU on our uniforms.

I'd go with 1975. Those of us born in 1973 remember it pretty well.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Peruna94&07 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Junior wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:My base line point is that our new uniforms should have SMU graphically displayed. If we get more TV and national media exposure in the future it is important that there is an identification and connection as we again reach out to the national audiences. My complaint with the new uniforms is that a large very large SMU should be visible. Maybe replacing those ridiculous stripes/clutter with an SMU on the tops of the shoulder pads.

I'd go with 1975. Those of us born in 1973 remember it pretty well.

Yea us from 1972 definitely remember the Pony Express. I remember watching Dickerson run and decided then that I was going to SMU.
GO Ponies!!!!
Peruna94&07
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 pm

4.5 months to go...
One Trick Pony

Postby mr. pony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Looks like the Mustang on the helmet is bigger. :?:
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:43 pm

( PoconoPony)Some good points have been made on this thread as to the knowledge and exposure of SMU nationally. SMU did not use the current Mustang logo until sometime in the 1970s. Old timers might remember us by our old Mustang logo which does not closely resemble the current logo ( see Ponyte's avatar). People born after 1972 were probably too young to remember the Pony Express and then we disappeared for half a century taking our name and logo entirely out of the national lime light. Our re-emergence started with the Hawaii Bowl and needs to be continually reinforced. We need a large visible SMU on our uniforms.[/quote]

(Junior) I'd go with 1975. Those of us born in 1973 remember it pretty well.[/quote]

I am not sure the rest of the country remembers the Pony Express as you do. You must have lived in Texas. I lived in NY at the time and we had very few national or regional telecasts of SMU regular season games and only the bowl games for national media exposure. You may have been aware, but you would be the great exception to your age group.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football