PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

No marketing department, no marketing budget, and no real history of winning in the last 20 years.

Continue winning, add in the big east money to bring marketing back, and folks will buy tickets to our home games.

TCU has 25K season tickets and sold their allotment of 5K. given that same ratio, I would expect us to sell 2K to our bowl game, it is just the reality. And with all of the coaching hubub, it is going to hurt the number of folks that choose to travel for this one.

I'll be there. I might pitch in and buy a couple of extra tickets to help make the numbers look better.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Hey I've got the back of my good buddy June Jones-its ridiculous and this program ain't going anywhere until it changes-really have no rebuttal if June Jones decides to say to Hell with This despite the excuses that are sure to follow. I mean I think if noted TCU, UT, Houston and Tech fan Stallion can find the time to go to the Hawaii Bowl, the CUSA Championship and the Birmingham Bowl maybe I can goad and shame some of these June Jones suckups to get off their [deleted] and buy some tickets. But they won't because we have a pathetic fan base

I'm not really sure what this means? If people choose to go they will. My guess is 1000 maybe. No excuses b/c it is on a weekend, last year we had a 11am weekday bowl.
GiddyUp

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 pm

yeah I get it. Not a priority to SMU fans-why should June Jones have to put up with?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mitch McConnell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Mitch, you need to get there. Beat Pitt!

I know, Alex.
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Re: Re: 2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 am

Stallion wrote:yeah I get it. Not a priority to SMU fans-why should June Jones have to put up with?

Well for those of us (I don't think this includes you stallion) that have been to 95-100% of the away games the last several years on top of the home games, I guess using your argument after seeing the turds laid at Tulsa Usm etc this year the fans could similarly ask why should they put up with it? And maybe they have. Some of them.
RGV Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 am

RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:yeah I get it. Not a priority to SMU fans-why should June Jones have to put up with?

Well for those of us (I don't think this includes you stallion) that have been to 95-100% of the away games the last several years on top of the home games, I guess using your argument after seeing the turds laid at Tulsa Usm etc this year the fans could similarly ask why should they put up with it? And maybe they have. Some of them.

Stallion makes 1 road trip per season, and then post ad nauseum about each game (i guess to lay a smoke screen that he is making trips)
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:01 am

A&M, TCU, Bowl Game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Dutch » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 pm

smupony94 wrote:Good for them. My brother in law bought 50 that will go unused

he doesn't give them to the Purple People Seaters?
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Stallion wrote:A&M, TCU, Bowl Game

is TCU really a road game? Yeah, we're the visitor, but if it is possible to get there in half an hour, that doesn't count.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

Postby smupony94 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Dutch wrote:
smupony94 wrote:Good for them. My brother in law bought 50 that will go unused

he doesn't give them to the Purple People Seaters?

You ask him
smupony94

Postby ponyinNC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 pm

i don't know why anyone would call out folks on pf.com. If you post on this board, you are already a pretty die hard fan and likely go to all the games you can. We are not the problem, so it really makes no sense to attack us.

The problem is the 95% of people who are associated in some way with smu that neither post on pf.com nor care about smu football. Young alums from the 1987-2007 will be the toughest to reach (IMHO) because they had nothing to cheer for for 20 years, and likely adopted some other team like LSU or UT or USC.

Let's not push away the few loyal fans we have by attacking them on pf.com

See you in Birmingham!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm

ponyinNC wrote: Young alums from the 1987-2007 will be the toughest to reach (IMHO) because they had nothing to cheer for for 20 years, and likely adopted some other team like LSU or UT or USC.
!

You got it. And the gen y of that group has more built in distractions and expectation of instant ROI be it a financial or emotional investment.
RGV Pony

Postby ponyinNC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:55 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
ponyinNC wrote: Young alums from the 1987-2007 will be the toughest to reach (IMHO) because they had nothing to cheer for for 20 years, and likely adopted some other team like LSU or UT or USC.
!

You got it. And the gen y of that group has more built in distractions and expectation of instant ROI be it a financial or emotional investment.

Yup, and there's a word for people like that: Front-runners. Used to work with a guy like that. When I asked him his favorite teams, this was his list: Lakers, Patriots, Yankees, UNC basketball, Alabama footall, etc.

Personally, I enjoy the emotional wreckage from my SMU fandom. It will make it all the more sweet when we finally make it big time! Just like that Phillies world series I finally got.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 pm

ponyinNC wrote: Personally, I enjoy the emotional wreckage from my SMU fandom. It will make it all the more sweet when we finally make it big time! Just like that Phillies world series I finally got.

My god, I hope we don't have to wait that long to get to a NC.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ponyinNC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Ha me neither. Waited since 1980, but could be worse...I could be a cubs fan!!!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football