PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 Season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 Season

Postby ponytalk » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:48 am

I think next year is going to be another rough year. I just do not see any reason to believe otherwise.

If we lose to La. Tech, we will be 0-4 with no confidence going into the Hawaii game. We will have to beat La. Tech to have any hopes of being decent. That will give us something to grasp as far as confidence goes. But we have a real tough opening schedule and that as well as our factors of lack of preparation and motivation could lead us to a horrific record.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: 2001 Season

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:22 am

I think you have a very valid point about the 1-3 or 0-4 start, but lets try to be optimistic. I know it is hard due to many years of disappointment, but we can beat La. Tech, Tulsa, Nevada, San Jose, and Rice.

I think that SMU fans may have been way too optimistic before last season. Many, including myself, predicted 7 or 8 wins. But Ford Stadium generated a lot of emotion.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:33 pm

How upset will the McCown family be if we beat Luke's LaTech team right after Josh transfers?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby Bballer » Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:42 pm

I would love to beat La. Tech. That would be funny. The only thing more funny than that would have been brother McCown vs brother McCown in an interception fest.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:00 pm

Right now the players are working hard in spring practice. Let's get behind them and predict a winning season!!

Mustang footballers - think positive, work hard over the summer, have great two-a-days and then have a much improved season next year. You have got some diehard fans behind you!!

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Apr 09, 2001 3:21 pm

Based on what we saw Saturday, it looks like we're going to have a pretty solid D this year. The O was missing some starters, but Viloria didn't play either, and the D still put the clamps down. I'm ready for LaTech.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Mon Apr 09, 2001 10:50 pm

Based on what I saw, we are going to have a tough year. This is why:

The defense did dominate and they looked good, especially without Vic. BUT, they were going up against our offense, which was missing Comet, J Free, Mike Brown, and I think someone else. The offense did not look good at all.

I think the defense, as usual, will be decent, probably better than years past, but like years past they will be on the field for hours in a game and they will get worn down, as usual. And we have little depth at every position so we are in trouble.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football