PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If Big12 knocking would you go

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If Big12 knocking would you go

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Interesting question.

The money would be better, but I personally wouldn't want SMU to be ordered around by UT all the time
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:21 pm

The only reason to go big 12 is if you think BE is losing its BCS status. Other then that, even if the money is 4M better - who cares. You get [deleted] slapped by 3 or four schools each year instead of having at least a shot at a BCS bowl and good winning seasons. Plus academically we match up with BE better and draw kids from those areas (Cali /NE/Florida). If we keep scheduling at least two former SWC schools (not including Houston) then i say we are in the best spot we can be in if we want some serious fun.

Let the frogs get thumped every week and see how that feels after a couple of yrs - the thrill will be gone quickly.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Stallionsmu wrote:Seriously, if the Big12 said come back. What would you do?

I'd leave the BE in a heart beat

Because all of our natural rivals are in the Big 12, I would leave any conference to join a "stable" Big 12 (don't want to join a sinking ship only to get kicked out again).

In a few years, who knows how I'll feel.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Look all you people who think we wouldn't go to the Big 12 by nightfall are crazy. The same nonsense was stated by TCU fans looking at the wrong factors and they were gone by nightfall too. Of course, they are now 100% in favor of the move. When TCU sells out the 2013 season, beating the hell out of us recruiting and playing important games that people in Dallas actually care about hopefully some of you will get a clue about how this game is played
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Stallion wrote:Look all you people who think we wouldn't go to the Big 12 by nightfall are crazy.

Oh, I have no doubt we would. I'm just saying that I personally have reservations
CalallenStang

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:51 pm

sells out ? Big deal. They put 120 million into a stadium that isnt even 50k seats. If you undersize your stadium you will have some sell outs. They might want to have thrown 50M over to the school side and tried to get some students better then Texas tech students.

We will be at 12-15M in TV revenue with pretty easy competition to a winning bowl game and a possible path to BCS. Big 12 would get us only 4 M more, but would get us 5 losses a year guaranteed and a very hard path to any bowl much less a good one.

TCU recruiting is already better then us - we still beat their [deleted] last year. I am just fine in the BE - it fits us - we aren't a big honking state school. Those aren't our natural rivals just because we happen to both be in Texas and we were in the same conference a life time ago.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Stallion wrote:Look all you people who think we wouldn't go to the Big 12 by nightfall are crazy. The same nonsense was stated by TCU fans looking at the wrong factors and they were gone by nightfall too. Of course, they are now 100% in favor of the move. When TCU sells out the 2013 season, beating the hell out of us recruiting and playing important games that people in Dallas actually care about hopefully some of you will get a clue about how this game is played

My point was 100% on. If we joined the Big 12 only to have UT leave causing its collapse again, that would be huge problem.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm

No question I'd rather be in the Big 12.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Absolutely, yes. With BCS automatic bids likely going away in the next 5 years, the Big East football revenue will dry up.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Paladin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

If the only thing important is football, I say yes, SMU to Big 12 is the better move. Call me crazy, but I actually believe being in the Big East has some advantages if SMU wants more of a national footprint and seeks to become more of a nationally recognized University. I believe President Turner has said as much.

If we keep scheduling old SWC rivals including TCU in the pre-conference season (and keep winning) we should be able to do pretty well filling up our 32,000 seat stadium, and being in the Big East will give us a little bit of an easier road to bigger Bowl games (best of both worlds).
Paladin
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:54 pm

100% go to big12 for 1000000 reasons!
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Water Pony » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Embrace the (Big) East.

We have a lot of work to do, including beating our new confernece mates, filling our own stadium, energizing the student body and revitalizing BB and FB recruiting. Let's commit ourselves to excellence and not spend a nanosecond on wishful thinking. Turner and Orsini pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Now, let's benefit from this opportunity.

Embrace the East!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm

I'd say yes, attendance numbers and television exposure would be much higher, and we'd get to play on that fabulous longhorn network!!!!
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 pm

[deleted] YES
Pony ^

Postby ojaipony » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 am

No.

Pac16!
ojaipony