PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If Big12 knocking would you go

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If Big12 knocking would you go

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Actually the money would not be "better". In the Big XII, UT and OU get the cake, the rest of the conference gets the crumbs. Bigger pie, but still not better money is what I've heard. I've heard that TCU has now learned that they'll be making less money in the Big XII than they would have made in the BE. Now local exposure, playing UT is important, but also remember all the teams in that conference are now officially UT's B1tch. If UT pulls another diva act, the other schools just have to take it.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lwjr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

EastStang,

Even though the actual payout may not be better, don't you think the money saved in travel expenses would make it seem to be a higher payout in the Big 12? Anyway, this is all hogwash since it will not happen unless SMU becomes the next TCU/Boise State, as mentioned in an earlier post.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm

The big east is like a 4 star hotel - a nice place to stay when you are away from home.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm

lwjr wrote:EastStang,

Even though the actual payout may not be better, don't you think the money saved in travel expenses would make it seem to be a higher payout in the Big 12? Anyway, this is all hogwash since it will not happen unless SMU becomes the next TCU/Boise State, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Until of course Texas yanks on the chain and says it wants more money again. And then all the Big XII schools will have to bend over.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby RyanSMU98 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:34 pm

EastStang wrote:
lwjr wrote:EastStang,

Until of course Texas yanks on the chain and says it wants more money again. And then all the Big XII schools will have to bend over.

This has always been my biggest concern with the B12. I love the idea of the regional rivalries and practically putting the old SWC back together looks appealing in theory, but everyone seems to forget that the Bevo 12 is one DeLoss Dodds temper tantrum away from full-out implosion. Not sure I want to be a part of that. Given the inequities in that conference, and the not-so quiet objections to it that OU has expressed that might lead them to follow aTm's lead and look elsewhere, I'm still not convinced that the B12 is any more stable than the Big East, and at least with our current move we have the opportunity to build our brand and improve our capabilities to be ready for when the next round of moves happens.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby NomAnor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:15 pm

nope
NomAnor
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Most of the interest and media attention re college football in this region is Big 12 related. The regional rivalries are what people care about. I like the BE and I think that the opportunity to create some good rivalries exist, but people around here don't consider your program worth reading about or watching on tv unless you are playing UT or OU regularly. A&M is big enough to claim its stake on the fans' radar no matter where they play, but we aren't.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby smubrooks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Five years from now we would be so much better off having gone with the BE over the Bevo 12.
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:38 pm

We are engaged to a terrific new girl and now we want to get on the Facebook page of the girl (we dated in HS/college) and hope she takes us back? Embrace the East, ingrates. :?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NomAnor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:39 pm

it will be easier to be one of the top dogs in the Big East.Plus and correct me if im wrong but didnt some of the teams in the Big 12 throw us under the bus back in the 80s then kicked us out the door why would you work with them agian
NomAnor
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 pm

(This ought to be fun)
There really is little evidence that UT wants to be in a Conference other than one dominate in Texas and the Central Time Zone. Let's review:

Arkansas left SWC first

A&M began conversations to leave all Texas schools to join SEC in 1994

Texas saw reality of the naivete in Texas private school President's eyes Dumb(TCU), Dumber (Rice) and Dumbest (Kenneth Pye)-but they still organized a Texas based Central Time Zone Conference. You have to be blind not to see that move was a) justified and b) a great move

Nebraska leaves for Big 10

Texas convinces Big 12 to remain together

Missouri leaves for SEC

A&M leaves for SEC

Texas(indisputably) could name its conference and has turned down PAC, Big 10, SEC and ACC and was instrumental in keeping the Big 12 together-again. Why don't the deserters get the blame for breaking up the conferences-when UT always is the one trying to keep things together. How many times does it take to see that UT wants to remain a Texas based conference without interference from schools from other Conferences

What's even more laughable is all you CRYBABBIES complaining about big bad UT when HALF of you are TOO SCARED to play them in the Big 12 EVEN IF WE GOT A BID. You'd rather play Humpty Dumpty State in the Big East with a non-conference schedule of Creampuff U. So until you have the Balls to actually play schools like Texas stopping acting like they killed your grandma.

(Now proceed with ridiculous nonsensical hatred of UT)
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Stallion, Texas was turned down by the Big 10 because of their "Tech Problem" and was similarly turned down by the PAC.

Tech Problem Noted by Ohio State President Gee: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... texas.html

"Turned Away by the PAC-12" (AP): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/2 ... 73352.html

But continue to think that Texas has not made any overtures to other conferences.
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Calallen
Texas can do whatever the hell they want and there is nothing Tech can do about it-this is proved by A&M leaving for SEC.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Stallion wrote:Calallen
Texas can do whatever the hell they want and there is nothing Tech can do about it

Read the article. The insinuation is that Texas just needed to hear that they have a "Tech" problem so that they can take that to the powers that be in order to escape from Tech. The Big 10 decided not to pursue further.

Besides, this information directly contradicts your statement that Texas prefers a Texas-based conference.
CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Right exactly-they don't want any of those conferences and they didn't go proving that they want a Texas central based Conference and would only consider another Conference if they retained a Texas, central based Division. Nebraska, A&M, Missouri and Arkansas decided otherwise. But Texas could get a bid in 24 hours from any conference in the Country.

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football