PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Issues--Coaches/Money

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Issues--Coaches/Money

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:37 am

I have a question. Lets say we win 3 games, or less, in 2001. What would happen?

I have little doubt that there would be any problems buying out Cavan's contract, but SMU is 40,000,000+ over budget. Athletics is suffering greatly right now, financially. More than ever, and it has hurt since the DP. Bringing in another Cavan or unproven coach is not the answer. Were will money come from to pay 750,000+ a year for an awesome coach that will change SMU? I would think that the big time boosters are tired of throwing money into this program.

The Big Timers are our only hope, but are they going to step up, AGAIN?

And the same issue can and will be raised about Dement soon, unless he gets our butts into a tournament. I think next season is it, if there is no March Madness for SMU in 2002, then people will be calling for his head.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Issues--Coaches/Money

Postby 91Stang » Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:31 pm

Rumor has it there are some financial heavy hitters who already raised the cash to buy out Cavan, and were none too pleased when he was retained for another year.

If we have a bad season, will Cavan be kept around another year, just to ride out the probation before we bring in someone new?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Re: Issues--Coaches/Money

Postby PK » Tue Apr 03, 2001 3:13 pm

[/QUOTE][/B]If we have a bad season, will Cavan be kept around another year, just to ride out the probation before we bring in someone new?[B][/QUOTE]

THIS PROGRAM CAN NOT TAKE ANOTHER YEAR OF DELAY. We are already too many years in the hole. If this fall turns into another bust, there will be no justification for not making major changes and upgrades. We are so close to falling off everyone's radar screens it's not EVEN funny. I always hope for a great year ... but it is really getting old being disappointed year in and year out. This year is do or die for Cavan as far as I'm concerned ... and that's being very generous on my part!!!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 04-03-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football