PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Board: NCAA Football Study

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Realignment Board: NCAA Football Study

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2001 12:51 am

now this is definitely an interesting study if the circumstances present themselves - well, in a way that would trigger certain events....

Subject: NCAA Football Study
Posted By: GoldCardWV (ezOP)
Posted At: 3/5/01 2:03:21 am
D-I Discusses Future Changes

A comprehensive look at NCAA Division I football is proposed.

The NCAA has proposed a comprehensive study of Division I football to examine issues of growing
concern to the sport. Among possible topics: having all Division I-A teams play a 12-game schedule; increasing the value of a scholarship to cover all the costs of attendance; merging Divisions I-A and I-AA; adjusting the length of daily practice sessions; and examining all aspects of spring practice. What won’t be discussed, however, is the possibility of a Division I-A playoff.

NCAA President Cedric Dempsey is pushing for the study, which would be similar to a recent study
of college basketball. Unlike the basketball study, which was conducted by a special committee led
by Syracuse University Chancellor Kenneth Shaw, the football study would be conducted within the
NCAA’s governance structure. At its September meeting in Atlanta, the Division I
Championships/Competition Cabinet recommended that existing committees within the NCAA do
the work. The recommendation was expected to be reviewed by the NCAA Management Council
during its October meeting and sent to the Board of Directors for approval the following week.

“I think the cabinet felt strongly about studying football at this time—particularly as it relates to
student-athlete welfare, both in the sport of football and in other sports affected by football’s
escalating costs,” said Jean Lenti Ponsetto, Athletic Director at DePaul University and Chair of the
Cabinet, in the Sept. 25 issue of The NCAA News. “The Cabinet believes that the committees
already organized in the [NCAA] structure have the expertise to complete the study with input from the Board of Directors, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, and NCAA legal counsel.”

Still, Dempsey would like to see college presidents involved. “Our presidents have had very little
involvement with football even though it is the second-largest source of revenue for intercollegiate
sports,” he said in the Aug. 29 Chicago Sun-Times. “There are a number of issues that need to be
addressed in football, and a comprehensive study needs to be done.”

The NCAA proposal has met with opposition from the conference commissioners responsible for
the Bowl Championship Series, which matches its two top-rated teams in a national championship
bowl game. In August, Mike Slive, Commissioner of Conference USA, authored a sharply worded
letter on behalf of the Collegiate Commissioners Association that urged Dempsey to drop any
NCAA effort to study major college football. The letter suggested that the NCAA has had little to
do with major college football since the early 1980s, when the association lost control of television
rights for college football, and that jumping in now would serve no useful purpose.

At the same time, another conference commissioner, Roy Kramer of the Southeastern Conference,
suggested combining Divisions I-A and I-AA into one big Division I. He also suggested giving
schools the option of reducing scholarships to around 60.

In addition, the Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet approved a recommendation to limit
the number of bowl games certified for postseason competition for the next two years. There are 25
bowl games set for the 2000-01 season, and a new one, the New Orleans Bowl, also has been
granted initial certification. The Football Certification Subcommittee had called for a two-year
moratorium for the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons that would limit the number of certified bowls to

“Our role is to ensure a quality-level postseason experience in bowl games for student-athletes and
their fans,” said Paul Griffin, Athletic Director at the University of South Florida and Chair of the
subcommittee, in the Sept. 25 issue of The NCAA News. “To do that, we need to review the
certification process we have in place. We’ll look at everything, including the impact that the
increased number of bowls has on the quality of experience for student-athletes.”

NCAA member institutions may not participate in postseason football competitions that are not
certified. The certification process determines that bowls meet specific standards for items such as
officiating, insurance, distribution of funds, and business plans that ensure a positive bowl experience.

------------------

Return to Football