PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NFL Draft

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NFL Draft

Postby WildHorse » Mon Apr 09, 2001 2:12 pm

Rick Gosselin is doing his annual series of stories in which he breaks down a list of players at each position before the NFL Draft, and the page includes a section called "Texas Connections" - for players who played their college ball in Texas, grew up here, etc., etc.

Under Texas Connections, he listed on former local player (from Flower Mound Marcus High School) as a projected late-round draft choice: SMU-ex Chris Sanders.

Sure, he had a productive year at Southwest Middle Tennessee Tech State U., or wherever he ended up, but that was against even worse competition than he faced in the WAC, and I can't imagine he has improved his mobility too much. Is Gosselin serious? I met Chris many times and he's a great guy - I'd love to see him in the NFL. But I can't imagine it's a possibility. Hope I'm wrong.

Best of luck, Chris.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: NFL Draft

Postby D » Mon Apr 09, 2001 3:23 pm

Talked to Chris for awhile at the scrimmage on Saturday. He has attended several camps and he said he was projected to go in the late rounds or as a free agent. Chris has always worked [deleted] and off the field and its good to see that he is getting some recognition. Its interesting to note that some other individuals from Chris' class may be playing on Sunday next year. Karon Riley should go in the second. Jack Brewer may also get some looks after he moved back to receiver last year at Minnesota. I think Jimmy Moore is already playing over in Europe (he never redshirted). Would have been nice to have that talent last year.
D
Varsity

Postby Dirty Bird » Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:27 pm

I agree, that talent would have been nice to have.
But Cavan is a [deleted], and ran it all away. And anyone who tries to defend him on that point is a [deleted] too.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby Bballer » Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its interesting to note that some other individuals from Chris' class may be playing on Sunday next year. Karon Riley should go in the second. Jack Brewer may also get some looks after he moved back to receiver last year at Minnesota. I think Jimmy Moore is already playing over in Europe (he never redshirted). Would have been nice to have that talent last year. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cavan has a long list of players who left him. I was looking through some old programs the other day and there were plenty of names that left and I don't know why. Seems like there were more than there should be.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:21 pm

Does Brewer really have a chance to get drafted? I didn't realize he had moved back to WR. He looked like he had a bright future when he played his first season at SMU, but I was under the impression he was struggling a lot at Minnesota. How big is he now?

Karon Riley, from everything I've read, is going to be a stud in the NFL. Would have been nice to keep him.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 13, 2001 2:30 pm

There's a rumor C Rich Nichols may get a look. Not drafted, but maybe a free agent look. Seems unlikely, but I hope it's true.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football