PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Athletic marketing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Athletic marketing

Postby Corso » Mon Jul 03, 2000 11:56 am

The marketing department was quoted as saying the area around SMU (bars, restaurants, local businesses) would be filled with Mustang helmets, hats, t-shirts, banners, etc. Has this begun yet, or is that going to be a big push when we get closer to football season? Which businesses are SMU-friendly? Those are the businesses we need to support faithfully.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Athletic marketing

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Wed Jul 05, 2000 12:00 pm

I know the Green Elephant has always been very SMU friendly. They were sending busses to the Cotton Bowl on gamedays, so that is to be applauded. As an owner of the Across The Street Bar, I can assure you that my establishment will be decked out in red & blue for before 9-2-2000 and afterwards. Maybe even a special deal for fellow Ponyfan.commers? I can't speak for the other establishments on Yale. Jack's would probably be up for something, although SMU is not their main clientele. I don't think Milo's worries too much about what SMU does. I think they may be older than the campus. (j/k)
Manada/Fjdor

Postby Horseshoe » Wed Jul 05, 2000 12:15 pm

Question for Manada/Fjdor:

Are you the original owner of Across the Street? I'd always heard that a guy in my freshman dorm from SMU had started the bar. Are your initials S.K.?
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby PonyPower » Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:04 pm

First and 10 is always Mustang-friendly, and he perhaps the best collection of SMU gear in the city (not to mention a really snappy picture of Coach Cavan —— in tassled leather loafers, no less.) And they also make the best burger in Dallas!
PonyPower
All-American

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:36 pm

To Horseshoe:

Across The Street is 10 1/2 years old.
What year were you in the dorms?

No, my initials are not S.K.
Manada/Fjdor

Postby swann » Wed Jul 05, 2000 8:39 pm

I think we need to have a party for ponyfans.com at the Across the Street Bar. I know of plenty of people who would be interested. What are your drink specials, I haven't been there in forever, except homecoming weekends. It was a happening place on my recruiting visit back in '91.
swann

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:50 am

I think that would be an outstanding idea. Across the Street is not the most fancy place, but it can hold well over 2,000 people, which is much larger than any venue near campus. Any person who;s been to TX/Ou weekend can attest to that.

Specials: We have $2.00 pitchers, thursday through Saturday, 9:00pm - 2:00am. Shiner, rolling rock, coors light, killians (sp?) miller light, & ziegenbock. Gosh, I feel like an advertisement, but you asked.
Manada/Fjdor

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:28 pm

I would love to be able to put a face behind some of these names....PonyFanMan, MustangMatt....What do you think?

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Return to Football